GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

540 Bmw Vs Gs400

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 04:28 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a BMW 1997 great car I should say I sold it and got me a GS400,,,

The difference in driving... BMW does handel better and the traction control in the BMW is waaaaaay much better than the VSC system on the Lexus. However, the Lexus is more powerful more comfy to ride and certainly much quiter than the BMW,,, Nav system on the Gs400 is more user friendly, and to be honest even thou I think I over paid for my Gs400 with Nav ($54,000) new I am glade i made the switch its just a better car all rounder. and reliable I had Air bag problems with the BMW and engine light always came on had to take it to the dealer a number of times ,, the GS400 almost has 30k now and no problems what so ever
Old 06-01-01, 05:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by KKelly
Like I said "subjective". I gave you my subjective opinion. I am trying to figure out what the argument is here.

The IS even looks more like a Civic than the 3 series and I would bet you the buyer for the IS is on average 5 years younger than the 3 series based on what I have seen on the street.

The IS buyers are younger because younger folks tend to look into the true value and performance, not just the name. Older folks in 50s and 60s drive 3 series because rather than spending the money on Lincolns they want the name BMW.

And what's wrong with younger buyers for the IS? I see that as a compliment rather than seeing some crooked old folks in BMWs. That only means that younger, smarter people knows how to choose the right cars.

The IS looks more like a Civic because so many Civics these days use the so called "Euro tail lights" (Altezza tail lights in English not BS language). New 3 series compact looks more like a Civic because it not only has the IS style taillights, but IMITATION lights (hence the Civic look). Words are that the 2002 or 2003 3 series will all start using these EURO lights. Hmmmm......... should be interesting to see what you guys would say.

Should BMW insist on using those Euro lights?
How can they stand all these criticizing comments?
Understanding the market is important.
They shouldn't do something that Civics are doing.

Ultilizing their own technology is the key.
Poor design studios are no excuses.
Old 06-01-01, 08:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually lost count of how many ex-bmw drivers(mostly 5ers) who "defected" into the GS arena. shall we coninue counting? Yo babe, can i have a beer, please?

let me try to sum up k's point:

1.IS' design is sooo bad that IT does NOT stand a chance to compete against the 3ers. then why would BMW needed to bring out their M3 and do all the winking?

2."IS looked even more like the civics than the 3 ers" as stated by Mr. K.

so i guess Mr. K admits that 3ers looked like the CIVICS? would you make such a claim on BMW board?

3.IS buyers are on average 5 years younger......and the point is

4.one of our members had an M3 before, how many problems did he had before? again, i guess i do not count well... lost count again.:eek:

as far as the resale value is higher on the 5ers. of course, they are at least $5k more in the beginnning. the question is:are there actually buyers for them? there are at least 2 bmw sales trying to push my brother in getting their 5s for many many weeks. if they are so hot, why don't they sell?

in contrast, use GS usually do not stay on dealer lot more than 2-3 weeks. this is a fact as i had researched this matter for one of my graduate school's mkt project.
Old 06-02-01, 02:02 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

WILL:

You the man!!

Seriously tho, all points you've made are very true. Good observations man.
Old 06-02-01, 11:38 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Globe/Ray,

thanks for the kind words.... i was planning to go to law school, and picking out "holes" in the argument is a requirement for attorneys.

some times i do not even see debates are necessary for choosing between a bmw and a lex(may be except the es-no offense to es owners, but i prefer rear wd when i spend over $30). actually, in contrast to some of opinons on this board, i do think the exterior of the 5s is not bad. but besides that, i can go on and on about things i do not like on them, especially after i spend so much $$$$ in a car.

if the 540s can be obtained at the same price level as the gs430s(~$45k-$51k+fees), i might ponder for a moment... but then, there is that ill-repuattion of quality, bad service dept(Longo Lexus treats like a royalty).....and i am losing count again.
like i said, i do not count well if i fork out so much $$$ to the dealer, and i still have to count the # of problems and complaints...

will
Old 06-02-01, 02:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

If I had the money for 540i I would just buy a GS3 and mod it. Takes longer to get those electrical problems fixed in the 540 than dropping a turbo kit for the GS3.
Old 06-02-01, 02:18 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default good point

Resale value:

Good points were made by GS4WILL. Compare a 540 and GS400, same year,same miles, and relate that to the original selling price. I have seen 98 GS400's go for on average 28-32k for average miles with no nav. I have seen 540's ,98, go for 28-34 for average miles. Factor in the original asking price and it appears that the GS has a better resale value then the 540. 97 540's are going from 22-27K. That is a pretty big drop in my books. I would venture to say that both cars hold their value better then others cars on the market. Both good cars and certainly in demand. Especially the GS400 which gets snapped up within weeks of being on a lot. Especially one with the HID and Nav systems. Plus it is pretty difficult to get a hold of a 540 with it's NAV system as many did not opt for this 4k option.
Old 06-02-01, 03:07 PM
GS4Me
Rookie

Nice piece of poetry there Ray. I like it
Old 06-02-01, 10:16 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

the IS looks like a Civic? well is you are referring to the Altezza tail lites for your info the civics and every other car took that look for toyota not the other way around....but I can see your would be able to think that... I like my IS and I owned a 330ci prior...and traded it in for the IS.both are very good cars and fun to drive.....yes the 330CI stock pulled more then the IS stock but the parts to get my 330 faster were outrageous, hence I got rid of it and got a car I could mod and not have to have my car look like very other 3 series haaman car out there. The IS is not a cheap civic nor does it drive like one... to compare the two is an insult... my.02
Old 06-05-01, 02:13 PM
Kerr
Driver

I acutely feel that the resale value of both cars is low.

I went shopping again this weekend and have decided that all the dealers in my town suck. My first stop was LEXUS. 1) LX430 1) lS400 1) SC430? (new convertible job) so that gives the Lexus dealer a total of 3 CARS!!!

My next stop, the Jaguar dealer. 3) 2001 XJS? Convertibles. I didn't even stop.

Last stop BMW, Porsches, Audi dealer.

as soon as i pull on the lot i see it. 2001 BMW 540I Sport, Titanium silver, black leather, 6 speed, Oh so nice then *Blam* window shock, $58,900.00.

Moving on inside to look at the Porsches i see it. The best looking BMW i have ever seen. 2001 740I
JET black, Black leather. Sport package. *(• 18-inch M Parallel Spoke alloy wheels • Performance tires • 235/50 ZR-18 front • 255/45 ZR-18 rear, Performance rear axle ratio (3.15) and higher stall-speed torque converter
• 5-speed STEPTRONIC three-mode transmission
• M-Technic sport suspension
• Shadowline exterior trim
• 18-way power Contour sport seats with additional side bolstering and power thigh support
• M-sport multi-function steering wheel
• Vavona Redwood interior trim
* This kit also removes all the Chrome trim)

OHHH So sweet, It looked so mean just setting there, all that black setting on those BIG 18's, I stood there for like 10 minutes before Megan hit me and said honey there is drool running down you neck. I mean I'm in no way a fan of the BIG sedans but man that car looked so good. After my heart rate returned to the normal beats i walked over and looked at the sticker. $70,000.00 Then It hit me. I need a better job. I can not tell you how nice that car looked. It was just begging for me to buy it and go straight to the window tint place and say put the darkest tent they make on all the windows.

I going out that way tonight and if its there i will snap some shots of it.

So once again, still shopping.

Old 06-05-01, 03:32 PM
NVERNUFHP

Hmmm. An IS400? I gotta get me one of those! A very rare car, indeed. Bet it really goes...I just wonder how Lexus got the last generation V8 in such a little car.

2x Hmmm. A 2001 Jaguar XJS? I wonder where it came from...you must have seen the only one that exists.

Anyways, didn't your Lexus dealer have any GSs, ESs, or LSs? I suppose that after the factory gave him one of those top, top secret IS400s, they probably wouldn't give him anything else.

As for your continued car search, maybe you should look at something a little downscale of a 540 or 740. Can you say "530, or 3 series, or GS, ES, S-Type, etc.?" Heck, you could always lease a '72 Pinto if you are really strapped.

Or, given that resale value is so low on the Lexus, Jag, BMW, etc., maybe a used one is the way to go.

Old 06-05-01, 03:41 PM
NVERNUFHP

Hmmm. An IS400? I gotta get me one of those! A very rare car, indeed. Bet it really goes...I just wonder how Lexus got the last generation V8 in such a little car.

2x Hmmm. A 2001 Jaguar XJS? I wonder where it came from...you must have seen the only one that exists.

Anyways, didn't your Lexus dealer have any GSs, ESs, or LSs? I suppose that after the factory gave him one of those top, top secret IS400s, they probably wouldn't give him anything else.

As for your continued car search, maybe you should look at something a little downscale of a 540 or 740. Can you say "530, or 3 series, or GS, ES, S-Type, etc.?" Heck, you could always lease a '72 Pinto if you are really strapped.

Or, given that resale value is so low on the Lexus, Jag, BMW, etc., maybe a used one is the way to go.

Old 06-05-01, 05:20 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Kerr,

I had a similiar experience as you did while at a parking lot. Except it was not a BMW but a MB S500. It was a Black car might not have tinted windows but I can't really see inside because of reflections. It was riding on 18" AMG 220 wheels.

Nice!!! It looked SO nice I literlly stoped to look at it for a few seconds. Too bad the dish wheels blocked the brakes because the S500 has front cross drilled disk brakes.

In the in future when I do even better financially, I want a S600 Blk/Blk with 18" AMG wheels and tinted windows. But for now my GS430 blk/blk will do.