GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A mouse cost me $2200!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 01:11 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psd112
Yeah, my dad has a 1968 MB 280SL thats sitting on stands in his garage. This thing is fuly restored and simply incredible. Anyway, he rarely drives it and its covered up 90% of the time. Last time he took the hard top off to recondition the softop, to his surprise he discovered that a mouse had chewed a 9 ich hold in the softop. Yikes. So now he fully sealed the garage and put traps everywhere. And yeah, a new soft top is about $2300.
THAT SUX big time!!!! A 68 Merc 280SL is a car I've been wanting to get for the longest time. That is truly a timeless piece of artwork. I saw a red one with white leather interior...beautiful.

I hope that mouse got what he desrved.

My dad had a Merc 300TD that parked in the garage...progressively the ac started to smell and became unbearable...the mechanic found a dead mouse. It's been sittin there for about a week. Oh and it did about $1500 in damabge!!!
Old 03-09-05, 03:15 PM
99 LS 400
Driver School Candidate

I'm positive that there's already a petrochemical based spray can product that mice will absolutely hate.

Sadly, I don't know what it is.

Jeez... what a great opportunity for some grad student chem major to develop a 'million dollar product' to protect our precious engine bays.

Or pepper based maybe?
Old 03-10-05, 01:14 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Same f***ing thing happened to me back in December, when it was in the 30s at night in LA. One evening, I'm driving home and the car starts to hesitate, figured a sensor was off or my gas had a bit of H20 in it, drive another 1/2 mile, then smoke starts coming from my engine bay.

A rat had chewed threw my harnesses, wires, and even messed up one of my sparkplugs (?). Dealer wanted $1100 to fix (mostly labor because the damage was buried in the engine, near the engine wall).

I recommend you call your insurance company --- got them to claim the damage as vandalism (after some discussion), and only paid my deductible. Same me some $$ in time for the holidays I suppose...
Old 03-10-05, 01:58 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs3_4me
Same f***ing thing happened to me back in December, when it was in the 30s at night in LA. One evening, I'm driving home and the car starts to hesitate, figured a sensor was off or my gas had a bit of H20 in it, drive another 1/2 mile, then smoke starts coming from my engine bay.

A rat had chewed threw my harnesses, wires, and even messed up one of my sparkplugs (?). Dealer wanted $1100 to fix (mostly labor because the damage was buried in the engine, near the engine wall).

I recommend you call your insurance company --- got them to claim the damage as vandalism (after some discussion), and only paid my deductible. Same me some $$ in time for the holidays I suppose...
Yeah, 21st century is paying for mine. They even have a classification called "animal damage"...I guess it must happen alot. I hope I run over a few of them on the way home.
J/K no one send PITA my way
Old 03-10-05, 05:46 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

:sympathy hug:

So, I should buy a cat for my car?
Old 02-05-08, 11:35 AM
frheko
Driver School Candidate

Lemme know how you got your insurance to cover the rodent damage to the wiring.

I discovered rodent damage to my GS400 engine harness on Saturday (~$3000 to repair) and the nice new (less than 8000 mi) ES350 loaner car got attacked on Monday night!

I'm not kidding- two Lexuses in 3 days! I popped the hood and the engine cover on the ES and sure enough, bare wires, shredded foam soundproofing insulation and rat urine marks. SOB! If anyone else sucessfully received insurance coverage for this please advise. I'm getting the cold shoulder from Allstate (home and auto) on this, but I'm trying to push them. I sure hope I don't get nailed with the damage to the loaner from Lexus of Seattle, too.

And get this- I've been paying for Orkin's pest control monthly for three years!

-Wireless in Seattle

Originally Posted by LeXsGs3
I just had to share my frustration. For a while my engine light has been intermittently turning on and off. Finally, 3 days ago it stayed on, so I thought this was beyond loose gas caps and O2 sensors, besides it started driving funny.

I brought it to Mission Viejo Lexus for diagnostics since I am my car is CPO...the service rep called me and told me that my wiring harness has been chewed by a mouse. I went back to look at it, and the little M.F.er chewed right through it. The service rep said, if I drove it any longer, I would have gotten a misfire as well. Then he said the damage was $2200.

THAT F'n MOUSE!!!!

Anyway, thank goodness 21st century is covering it under comprehensive. So now I littered my yard with rodent pellets!

Just had to share. If any of you live by greenbelts, hills, or livestock, put some pellets in your engine bay, it'll save you some money, in my case a couple thousand.
Old 02-05-08, 11:39 AM
frheko
Driver School Candidate

oh- and BTW, my wife's Sienna LXE Limited must not have delicious wires because it's parked in the same location and when I checked for rodent damage today, all wires were intact. Note that I saw a rodent fecal pellet on the battery, so I know they were in there, however, the insulation on the wires must not be as appetizing.

Another difference is that her engine cover was not undercoated with soundproofing insulation- so perhaps the foam insulation is attractive to the rats.

Another difference is that she brings her car home and parks it during daylight- so it's cold by dark, whereas I often brought mine home after dark with a nice warm engine block.
Old 02-05-08, 01:13 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Originally Posted by frheko
Lemme know how you got your insurance to cover the rodent damage to the wiring.

I discovered rodent damage to my GS400 engine harness on Saturday (~$3000 to repair) and the nice new (less than 8000 mi) ES350 loaner car got attacked on Monday night!

I'm not kidding- two Lexuses in 3 days! I popped the hood and the engine cover on the ES and sure enough, bare wires, shredded foam soundproofing insulation and rat urine marks. SOB! If anyone else sucessfully received insurance coverage for this please advise. I'm getting the cold shoulder from Allstate (home and auto) on this, but I'm trying to push them. I sure hope I don't get nailed with the damage to the loaner from Lexus of Seattle, too.

And get this- I've been paying for Orkin's pest control monthly for three years!

-Wireless in Seattle
I'm not too familiar with Allstate, but 21st Century was very more than helpful in determining my coverage level.

Ask Allstate to check under "Comprehensive" damage, since it's non-collision related. And 21st Century actually has a category called "Animal Damage".

I think that's a good start
Old 02-05-08, 01:58 PM
frheko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I'll definitely mention to my agent that he might lose a customer to Century 21 if the coverate he provides (Allstate's) coverage is not adequate.

I'm not too familiar with Allstate, but 21st Century was very more than helpful in determining my coverage level.

Ask Allstate to check under "Comprehensive" damage, since it's non-collision related. And 21st Century actually has a category called "Animal Damage".

I think that's a good start
Old 02-05-08, 02:36 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another difference is that she brings her car home and parks it during daylight- so it's cold by dark, whereas I often brought mine home after dark with a nice warm engine block.
Good point

Damn vermin
Old 02-05-08, 04:00 PM
HTQCummins
Driver

I think they like the insulation for there nests and such, thats why they go through them. At any rate, that is very costly for one of those little buggers homes

And who ever had their harness chew'd up and the loaner snacked on as well, that sux
Old 02-05-08, 04:22 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing my grief......maybe I should invest in a new "cat"alyc converter to keep the mice away (WaWaWaaa) I know bad joke.
For a horrible joke, you had me dying!!
Old 02-05-08, 04:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just make sure it was a mouse, because usually mice dont mess with this stuff, it is much more likely that it was a rat. And you sure don't want rats in your yard.
Old 02-05-08, 06:58 PM
k.r.e.a.m.
Pole Position

kill mickey mouse!!
Old 02-05-08, 08:46 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ever find that damn mouse, chop its' head off, and mount it on your Lexus. LOL

Quick Reply: A mouse cost me $2200!!!