GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A mouse cost me $2200!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 10:38 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A mouse cost me $2200!!!

I just had to share my frustration. For a while my engine light has been intermittently turning on and off. Finally, 3 days ago it stayed on, so I thought this was beyond loose gas caps and O2 sensors, besides it started driving funny.

I brought it to Mission Viejo Lexus for diagnostics since I am my car is CPO...the service rep called me and told me that my wiring harness has been chewed by a mouse. I went back to look at it, and the little M.F.er chewed right through it. The service rep said, if I drove it any longer, I would have gotten a misfire as well. Then he said the damage was $2200.

THAT F'n MOUSE!!!!

Anyway, thank goodness 21st century is covering it under comprehensive. So now I littered my yard with rodent pellets!

Just had to share. If any of you live by greenbelts, hills, or livestock, put some pellets in your engine bay, it'll save you some money, in my case a couple thousand.
Old 03-07-05, 11:58 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...dat sux. Mice....I hate them with a passion.
Old 03-08-05, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, seen this couple of times already. that piece of harness surely is expensive
Old 03-08-05, 12:19 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, seen this couple of times already. that piece of harness surely is expensive
You've seen/heard of mice chewing through that harness a couple of times before? Lexus must have made it out of cheese or something
Old 03-08-05, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by daleer
You've seen/heard of mice chewing through that harness a couple of times before? Lexus must have made it out of cheese or something
yeah at least 2 cases i believe

actually this happens to all brands, i have heard it on toyota, acura, honda. from what i see it's not like that lexus wires are more tasty
Old 03-08-05, 04:25 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam that suck's at least your insurance covered you
Old 03-08-05, 11:21 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Happens On Mercedes Benz's Too

I have a friend who owns a MERCEDES BENZ in a very prestigious neighborhood that likes Merceds wiring harnesses. That same poor car has beenm chewed up by mice 3 times in the last 2 years.

I'd say it was time to move....or get a gun, ha ha.

Seriously, I have no clue why mice like to chew through wires on cars, but if I cold find a cure, I am sure I could become a millionaire overnight...perhaps high frequency sounds at night to disturb their eating and mating patterns? Who knows??
Old 03-08-05, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gserep1
I have a friend who owns a MERCEDES BENZ in a very prestigious neighborhood that likes Merceds wiring harnesses. That same poor car has beenm chewed up by mice 3 times in the last 2 years.

I'd say it was time to move....or get a gun, ha ha.

Seriously, I have no clue why mice like to chew through wires on cars, but if I cold find a cure, I am sure I could become a millionaire overnight...perhaps high frequency sounds at night to disturb their eating and mating patterns? Who knows??
anything to do with potential tiny bit of grease, coolant, or heat on those wires?
Old 03-08-05, 01:58 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

WHEN I BOUGHT MY GS BRAND NEW I HAD IT SITTING IN MY GARAGE FOR 3 MONTHS WITHOUT DRIVING IT. WITHIN THAT TIME A MOUSE WAS LIVING IN THE ENGINE BAY. CHEWED UP THE WIRING BUT NOT AS BAD AS LEXUSGS3 SORRY MAN
Old 03-08-05, 02:09 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, sounds like there's a market for aftermarket engine bay mousetraps. Maybe a TRD, Tein, or Daizen mousetrap for your Lex?
Old 03-08-05, 02:33 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd buy the lttle Rat Bastad one of these
Old 03-08-05, 07:24 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

damn that sucks. invest in a mouse trap. at least its covered
Old 03-08-05, 11:14 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Thanks for sharing my grief......maybe I should invest in a new "cat"alyc converter to keep the mice away (WaWaWaaa) I know bad joke.

Anyhow, I got to get in some of their loaners, the ES, IMHO is a disappointment, the IS is nice but makes me feel like a ricer, and the RX330..this is a VERY nice SUV. If was in the market for an Lux SUV, I would definitely consider the RX.

Funny story, I was at one of those lights that times cars on the onramp to the freeway and I was lined up with this new Tahoe, so as men do, we floored it to see who would pull away first. I literally left him in the dust, IN AN RX330!!!!.

He was so pissed, he did one of those gas it from behind and fly by me deals. The RX is fairly quick....I think it could keep uo with my GS3.

See y'all later, I'm gonna hunt down some mice.
Old 03-09-05, 05:31 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeXsGs3
Thanks for sharing my grief......maybe I should invest in a new "cat"alyc converter to keep the mice away (WaWaWaaa) I know bad joke.

Anyhow, I got to get in some of their loaners, the ES, IMHO is a disappointment, the IS is nice but makes me feel like a ricer, and the RX330..this is a VERY nice SUV. If was in the market for an Lux SUV, I would definitely consider the RX.

Funny story, I was at one of those lights that times cars on the onramp to the freeway and I was lined up with this new Tahoe, so as men do, we floored it to see who would pull away first. I literally left him in the dust, IN AN RX330!!!!.

He was so pissed, he did one of those gas it from behind and fly by me deals. The RX is fairly quick....I think it could keep uo with my GS3.

See y'all later, I'm gonna hunt down some mice.
Yea, a RX330 will keep up with a GS3 . When I got a RX330 as a loaner, I had the opportunity of meeting up with a GS300 at the light. We were pretty much even to 60. Then I laid off cuz of a 35mph speed limit. Next light, I had to turn and say good bye.
Old 03-09-05, 11:47 AM
psd112
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, my dad has a 1968 MB 280SL thats sitting on stands in his garage. This thing is fuly restored and simply incredible. Anyway, he rarely drives it and its covered up 90% of the time. Last time he took the hard top off to recondition the softop, to his surprise he discovered that a mouse had chewed a 9 ich hold in the softop. Yikes. So now he fully sealed the garage and put traps everywhere. And yeah, a new soft top is about $2300.

Quick Reply: A mouse cost me $2200!!!