GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Overlooked when lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-01, 03:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MikeGS4PE, don't worry, I'm right here!

Even though the cost is usually pretty high, coilovers are worth it...being able to pick the height you want for your car is a great option to have.

For you East Coast guys that change their tires during winter, when you do that, you can adjust the coilovers to bring the car back to stock height for more ground clearance. In some cases you can set it even higher than stock...

RMM sells the Tein HA setup (which is kinda harsh in my opinion) for like $1680 or so. The CS (which I recommend if you're going to do Tein) is like $2100 list price (I think!)

The H&R coilovers are $2200 list.

The APEXi WS goes for $1490 list.

You can probably get the APEXi WS for close to $1000 if you really work your reseller...
Old 06-02-01, 11:19 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manaray, you posed some interesting things I was overlooking...In the winter time, I am going to need that stock ride height back which the spring/shock combo will not allow. My next question invloves the warranty on the coilovers. I really like the idea, but the bilstein warranty sounds awesome. As far as ride comfort is concerned, coilovers should suit me just fine... I really think I am leaning towards coilovers, but I really wanted to buy the shocks from gs4will becuase he has been very helpful. I might have to wait this one out a little. I want coilovers!

Need some opinions of the rims I have still not mounted on my car with the 245-35-20 nittos all around...especially manaray's... but I want 3-peice...

Deiselman...I wish I never got my spoiler too...oh well...I still looks nice with it...
Attached Thumbnails Overlooked when lowering-26c_2.jpg  
Old 06-02-01, 11:22 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another pic....with my dream set-up...I want to buy the RMM kit next summer...Same wheel company...
Attached Thumbnails Overlooked when lowering-rod-millen-gs.jpg  
Old 06-02-01, 12:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

as usual, manaray has made many valid points. i think most of the brand name coilovers M listed are top brands, there should not be any problem down the road(i have not heard many of them).

if coil-over is within your budget and your mod requirement, it is also a good choice. as you can see, some prefer l-tunes, and some HR, eib+bilsteins. it is because of this GREAT board that we all learn something each day, not to mention the $$$ saved from sharing resources(or spend, depends on how you look at it). bilsteins shocks are world renowned, and IMHO, are the best. they are actually the OEM for many car makers and tuners world wide. i would have confidence in HR coilovers because HR is an excellent spring maker, and their coilovers consist of shocks that are supplied by the Bilsteins.

(check your PM, i have some news for you)

as manaray and i always said, the gs/or any lex, is an expensive car, so do not rush into things just so that you want to have "something" that your friends have. or, everyone is driving a lowered car, i got to get some too(do not mean to imply you).

when i was going to college in the late 80s, 85% of my friends mod their accord, civics and integras....i was driving a very old accord, and sure i envied a lot of their rides at the time. but then, i did not see the need to put on a hugh wing on my car, nor some ugly looking rims that i can get for almost nothing(i have relatives who own metal foundry and wheel factory overseas)

and with the $$$ i saved over the years as well as reading many informative resources, i know what i like now-a true elegant sports sedan with genuine goodies that i value greatly.

william
Old 06-02-01, 12:39 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I would not be so eager in getting everything done with the wheels and lowering if I could of had the stock 17" wheels. I just really do not like the look of the 16" platinum series wheels, especially went you have a nice set of 20" wheels in the garage. I think I am just going to try and hold up and save up for a set of coilovers... Thanks for all of your help...So what are some of your opinions on the wheels with that kit?
Old 06-02-01, 04:44 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

MikeGS4PE - Initially, I didn't like those rims...I've seen them on a few Mitsubishi Spyders and they just didn't do it for me...but after seeing it on the silver RMM GS, I don't think they're all that bad...but are the ones you got 3-piece or 1-piece?

The ones on the Silver RMM GS look like 3 piece rims. I'm a big fan of lipped rims on a GS/LS/SC so I would give a thumbs up on the 3-piece version (or a 1-piece with a lip).

As for voiding your warranty and such, as Will said, the H&R's use Bilstein shocks so you won't need to worry about it. All the other brands I listed are good brands with companies that stand behind their products.

Also, the Will outlined about our thoughts on upgrading is something I wholehearted believe in! Take your time, do it right (this isn't directed to anyone specific.)

Mike, check your PM, I have a potential hook up for you...
Old 06-02-01, 06:13 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray...again, thanks for the info...The wheels I bought were the 1-peice version of the Phalanx. The Phalanx did not come in the 20" size which I really wanted, so I ended up going with the Enzos. If you look at the wheel at different angles, I looks like it has a lip, but it is hard to explain. I am going to mount one side and take some pictures, of course with no lowering...

I sent a PM back before reading your post, so don't mind me for being repetitous.
Old 06-02-01, 06:24 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray...here are some more pics of the the phalenx...I personally like the Enzo more...they derived it from the enzo....
Attached Thumbnails Overlooked when lowering-37c_2.jpg  
Old 06-03-01, 01:22 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, I like rims with nice lips (just like women Charonne, don't kill me! I'm sorta kidding! )

Some lipless rims (like the BIM Creative rims) look great. But on a Luxury car, I think lips are good....(ok, I'll stop)