GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Overlooked when lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 06:11 AM
Presario
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like there are a lot of people on clublexus that are interested in lowering their cars lately. For the guys that have 20" wheels with over 1.5" drop (19's as well), doesn't the wheel rub when you have lots of passengers? How many people before the wheel rubs (for people both with 19's and 20's)? I think people trying to lower their cars with larger wheels should take this into consideration before shelling out the bucks. It would be a waste if your car looked really nice, running on 20s or 19s, but lowered so much that you couldn't take 3 others for a ride in your lexus. I think then it would defeat the purpose of getting a sedan. So I'm curious. I'm currently running 19" wheels with the L-tuned shocks and springs and today, I successfully took 6 people, total, to los angeles from hollywood without rubbing problems. What about the other members? Any problems or horror stories? By the way, I have 9.5" rear wheels.

-Andy
99 GS300
Old 06-01-01, 07:04 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey presario, are you meaning the people that have coilovers that can drop like 2+ inches? L-Tuned drops around 1" and H&R's around 1.4". You think .4" going to make all the difference in terms of rubbing?

I'm getting paranoid.
Old 06-01-01, 09:00 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I also would like to know this...I normally have a few passengers in my car, but really didn't consider it. Well, if you get with the bilsteins, i think they are much stiffer, so I might not really make that much of a difference?
Old 06-01-01, 09:25 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Mike, is it just me or are you going crazy over this.

I am conteplating this whole thing now. I want to lower it , but people are giving horror stories. On the other hand if I don't lower it, the car looks weird. yada yada yada....anyone got prozac lying around? I'll buy some from you j/k
Old 06-01-01, 10:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Dieselman and Mike,

I understand your concerns especially after I posted the whole Eibach scandal...

Anything around 1 to 1.3 inches for either 19's or 20's should be fine. However, you do have instances of 19's and 20's rubbing. I am of the opinion that choosing 19's and 20's is really more of a look then true performance. I think 18's are the best in terms of a compromise between looks and performance and driveability.

Anytime you modify the existing factory designed configurations (esp suspension-related) you have to keep in mind that the factory designed it for certain tolerances. The more you modify the less tolerance which in this case puts one at risk of rubbing.

IMHO 18's lowered with H&R springs should be OK for all cases and scenarios (ie, 5 people, loaded trunk, etc, etc). Any other more radical combos brings in a risk of rubbing and driveability unless your are careful and know how to maneuver around driveways, potholes, and bumps. Obviously, if you had the money, adjustable height springs give you that ride height variability and allow you to try out different heights and push the limit of the tolerances but not everyone chooses to shell out the bucks for them. I'd rather spend more money on engine mods...

Keep in mind you DO need some rubber in order to handle and perform. Just my two cent's worth.

PS Both Eibach's and H&R's equalize the gaps just fine.
Old 06-01-01, 11:00 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Hey presario, are you meaning the people that have coilovers that can drop like 2+ inches? L-Tuned drops around 1" and H&R's around 1.4". You think .4" going to make all the difference in terms of rubbing?

I'm getting paranoid.
Just think of it this way...if the limit is 1 inch and the tire just misses the wheel well when you dip or go over a bump or turn, imagine if you are now lower by .4" which is almost a half inch. The tire will rub for sure! The problem is that it is so hard to define whether 1 inch is the absolute limit - we don't have enough measurements to make that determination. So rather than cut it close and hope for the best, be a little more conservative and sacrifice some of the radicalness.

Brent
Old 06-01-01, 12:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

yes, Bliu, I totally agree with you ! The only reason I am thinking about lowering the car is just for looks !!

I am not that into racing/supercharging. I can't race in NYC, because of cops and because of potholes !

Brings back memories, a few years ago my car used to be a undercover Cop Car. I bought it for $7000. I gotta tell ya, a 5.7liter V8, that baby FLIES LIKE AN EAGLE .

That car weighed like 4500 pounds and I swear it can do 0-60 in 6 secs. I was getting like 14 mpg.
:eek:
Old 06-01-01, 02:05 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up L-tuned

IF you are worried about rubbing Andy, go do L-tuned you can't go wrong with it. I have 20'' and they never rub.. (except for like having 3 ppl in the car and i floor, it will rub a little) but if you are just dring regularly you should do fine. ( why race when the car is filled with 5 people ). as you can see. i am really satisfied with my lowering, and it looks perfect ^^. i will post the pics later!

Old 06-01-01, 03:49 PM
Presario
Driver

Hey guys
the thing I'm curious about is- are most people willing to sacrifice the number of passengers for the look? Yes coilovers would be ideal but what about for those people that don't already have them or can't afford them? I know certain members on this board want to lower their cars over 2". Is that practical for everyday use? That's the question. If three people are the maximum I can take in my car, I would question the mod. Any inputs? Thanks guys for the response.

-ANdy
Old 06-01-01, 03:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had quite a bit of weight in my car (3 other big guys) and I have NO rubbing issues. Just the other night I had 5 people (including me) in the car...3 guys, 2 girls. No rubs.

If you get the right offset, you shouldn't have any problems. I have 9.5" rim on back with a 275/30-20. I've only had a small rub when I had some people in back and I hit a large dip in the road where the suspension probably came close to bottoming out...but if you check out the thread below, you'll see that there's nothing to worry about...

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=15247

My front rim is only 0.75" from the edge of the wheel well and I doesn't rub there at all (and I go over quite a few speedbumps)

Now if you get some wacked rims with some funky offset, you might have some issues...

As far as size, well 19" is widely used in many road courses. I think 19" is a good size for performance driving and looks...
Old 06-01-01, 04:21 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the detailed information about this topic. I always wanted to go for performance, but was urged to get the 20's. Oh well, I think I may just wait off on mounting the rims until I finally decied which was is best. I would love to get the Teins so I can have the adjustability and stiffer rife. What are your opinions on 18" in the front and 19" in the back? I really like the Racing Hart wheels and was going to originally buy them, but ended up going with the 20" enkei enzo wheels from the Milano series (manaray...they are not knock offs...hehe)...Well, I have to do something soon. Summer is almost here in Michigan! Well, it has been raining over the past two weeks and is going to continue being this way till late next week...
Old 06-01-01, 05:11 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default PERFECT LOWERING

This white gS has the perfect lowering IMO. Anyone know if its on coilovers or just regular plain springs?

Would a regular H&R, Eibach, etc attain that lowered look or do I need coilovers?

Also, I REALLY regret getting a wing, I like how this GS looks alot ! Its nice and clean with no emblems with a nice bodykit.
Attached Thumbnails Overlooked when lowering-sdcarshow046.jpg  

Last edited by D-MAN63; 06-01-01 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-01-01, 05:41 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Dieselman....What are you thinking, no offense at all???... Those are definitely not just springs. The tires are tucked into the wells and you are affraid of rubbing??? YOU NEED COILOVERS!!! Manaray where are you???...hehe

I wish I never got the spoiler too... , so I feel for you!
Old 06-01-01, 06:03 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how that white GS looks like a bullet, rear high going down to the front....

i agree it does look amazing without a wing, but thats just one angle, there are many angles and i think in only looks good without the spolier if it is really tuned, lowered and body kit.
Old 06-01-01, 08:48 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Mike, after careful examination your right.. Those are definately coilovers. But a man can dream can't he?

If I knew it would cost me $450 to remove the wing and fix the holes I would have never gotten it

Quick Reply: Overlooked when lowering