GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a High Mile GS400 & basic upgrade path - concerns & questions for GS4 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 01:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hi there, welcome to clublexus.

for the price, i think it's pretty good for 155k miles. it might be a good buy if all maintenance is done well. the engine and tranny should be strong.

putting intake and pipe will gain some but nothing dramatic. imho just save the money and either do the 3.76 rear end or the tq converter, more worth the money and give you the speed.

and to hang with the evo and sti, imho, forget about it. those cars performance wise they go head to head with the e46 m3.

and the e36. yeah, stock wise you beat it on straight speed. if you mod the handling you beat it out as well
Old 03-14-05, 11:29 PM
phisig
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the GS4 tonight, def a bigger car than I'm used to, but I'm adjusting quick. Man does this thing dip out Very happy with my perchase except for the fact that the factory battery is nearly dead.

Time to start saving for suspension... Tein Springs with L-Tuned shocks? anyone use this set up? I would love to do coilovers but too much $$$$. Any other low budget ideas with a significant drop are welcomed.
Old 03-15-05, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by phisig
Picked up the GS4 tonight, def a bigger car than I'm used to, but I'm adjusting quick. Man does this thing dip out Very happy with my perchase except for the fact that the factory battery is nearly dead.

Time to start saving for suspension... Tein Springs with L-Tuned shocks? anyone use this set up? I would love to do coilovers but too much $$$$. Any other low budget ideas with a significant drop are welcomed.
congrats on the new car, maybe you can post some pics, it would be a good "reference" later on, hehee

i have no idea on the springs/shocks. imho i would just save money for coilover

if you want a lot of drop, how about daizen springs with say bilestins shocks?
Old 03-15-05, 07:59 AM
phisig
Pole Position

I must say I'm impressed with all the help I'm getting right off the bat being a GS4 newbie. I'm an ex-DSM owner and that car was a joke. Always breaking down, not all that fast, and had so many problems in general. Glad to be out of that and into the lexus game. As long as my GS4 is relyable I'll be happy.

Def gotta get some pics soon. I think this car looks the best at night... Lexus signature HIDs and yellow fogs, very fresh.

Keep the words of wisdom comming for a new lexus owner
Old 03-15-05, 08:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!!!

What is "DSM" by the way?
Old 03-15-05, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

DSM - Diamond Star Motors. A joint effort by Mitsubishi and Chrysler

Most cars like Eclipse, Laser, Eagle Talon are commonly referred to as DSMs, think some others (Galant?) as well
Old 03-15-05, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I must say I'm impressed with all the help I'm getting right off the bat being a GS4 newbie. I'm an ex-DSM owner and that car was a joke. Always breaking down, not all that fast, and had so many problems in general. Glad to be out of that and into the lexus game. As long as my GS4 is relyable I'll be happy.

Def gotta get some pics soon. I think this car looks the best at night... Lexus signature HIDs and yellow fogs, very fresh.

Keep the words of wisdom comming for a new lexus owner
things are only going to get better here. we have so many people here and so many information, you will love it here
Old 03-15-05, 04:24 PM
phisig
Pole Position

DaveGS4 - you are correct, and yes one galant is considered a DSM - the Galant VR-4 with the boost loving 4g63.

Drove my stock GS4 today and I am starting to get used to its size and let me tell you I don't mind it one bit. I feel like I could keep this car totaly stock and be happy. But thats not gonna happen I'm sure.

Took some pics today with my friends R32 Skyline GT-R... and you ask why I'm so concerned about the performance potential of the GS4? Have a look...

Old 03-15-05, 04:47 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are just tooo funny...

ya'll givin credit where it aint due....

I've raced M3's, STi's and my neighbor has a brand new EVO.......we run EVERY MORNING and we are always even.....

I can kill him off the line, but once he spools up he catches up quick, but on the highway unless we're open he's a joke......

the only thing the evo has on us is WEIGHT (or should I say lack thereof)

For ppl to say the EVO is out of our league, I say put down the crack pipe ASAP

and btw, get the GS4 no matter what mileage
Old 03-15-05, 06:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
You guys are just tooo funny...

ya'll givin credit where it aint due....

I've raced M3's, STi's and my neighbor has a brand new EVO.......we run EVERY MORNING and we are always even.....

I can kill him off the line, but once he spools up he catches up quick, but on the highway unless we're open he's a joke......

the only thing the evo has on us is WEIGHT (or should I say lack thereof)

For ppl to say the EVO is out of our league, I say put down the crack pipe ASAP

and btw, get the GS4 no matter what mileage
well, all i can say is all those peoplein the e46 m3, evo, and sti, they don't know how to drive their cars. those 3 cars kill the gs4. m3 1/4 mile is in the 13s, you don't see that on the gs4
Old 03-15-05, 06:52 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
well, all i can say is all those peoplein the e46 m3, evo, and sti, they don't know how to drive their cars. those 3 cars kill the gs4. m3 1/4 mile is in the 13s, you don't see that on the gs4

or maybe it's just that I REALLY know how to drive my own car, eh???
Old 03-15-05, 07:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
or maybe it's just that I REALLY know how to drive my own car, eh???
well, no matter hwo good you are you can't exceed the capability of the car
Old 03-17-05, 06:23 PM
phisig
Pole Position

The more I drive this car, the more and more I like it. Becoming more confident each day behind the wheel. As I push the car I'm quickly seeing how bad it needs suspension. The ride it a bit too floaty for my taste. However in a straight line I have no problem pulling on S2000's and 350z's.

I love my lexus
Old 03-17-05, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The more I drive this car, the more and more I like it. Becoming more confident each day behind the wheel. As I push the car I'm quickly seeing how bad it needs suspension. The ride it a bit too floaty for my taste. However in a straight line I have no problem pulling on S2000's and 350z's.

I love my lexus
glad that you are feeling good about your car, and trust me this will just grow more and more every day. this car is amazing period

now you wonder why most people mod their suspension so soon?