GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Headlight Condensation on a CPO GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 10:49 AM
jroosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Condensation on a CPO GS 430

I have a CPO with Condensation in a couple of the front lights but can't find a post that addresses warranty converage on a CPO for this issue. Please respond if you've had first-hand experience with this issue on a CPO under warranty or if you can point me to a post that specifically addresses this issue on a CPO.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-05, 10:56 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

condensation in the headlights is a very common problem in all GS's... i say take it back and get them replaced if you can.. i just live through it...
Old 03-13-05, 11:08 AM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
condensation in the headlights is a very common problem in all GS's... i say take it back and get them replaced if you can.. i just live through it...
Gee whiz Brian, ya think? Did you actually read my post?
Old 03-13-05, 11:27 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

easy does it there vikings fan.

try the "search" for your specific issue and you find tons of posts regarding this issue and what actions resulted a favorable outcome. You can also pm these individuals to seek direction. Search Hameeds posts for starters, as I believe he had this issue.

Good luck
Old 03-13-05, 11:36 AM
jroosh
Driver

I stopped being a Vikes fan after the 98 season ...I've rediscovered reading since then...

As for the posts, I did as you said but couldn't find a post regarding getting the lights replaced under the CPO warranty specifically.
Old 03-13-05, 11:46 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jroosh
Gee whiz Brian, ya think? Did you actually read my post?
NOTE: You won’t get much responses with that attitude.

Now, your question is somewhat confusing. Have your dealer refused to replace them for you or something?

Because as far as I know, when a problem occurs such as condensation (very common problem), you take it to the dealer and they replace them for you, free of charge. I don’t think you need to address anything with them.
Old 03-13-05, 11:51 AM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
NOTE: You won’t get much responses with that attitude.
Fair enough, but on the other hand I'm not looking for twenty responses telling me what I already know or just to chat...I just want to hear from someone that has been successful (or not) getting this covered under the CPO warranty so I have some ammo when I call the dealership.

Thank you.
Old 03-13-05, 11:58 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jroosh
Fair enough, but on the other hand I'm not looking for twenty responses telling me what I already know or just to chat...I just want to hear from someone that has been successful (or not) getting this covered under the CPO warranty so I have some ammo when I call the dealership.

Thank you.

All I have to say to this is this should be If you don't want any help or 20 responses then why post
Old 03-13-05, 12:48 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys what's up? The '01 GS430 that i might be buying has condensation on the headlight as well. It's @ 55K miles. I know the basic warranty is up, but does the a TSB make it covered under some sort of warranty?
Old 03-13-05, 01:02 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

ehhh my mistake? i'm sorry if i didn't answer to your post the way that you wanted me to but what i meant by my previous post was the point that if you have the problem, you should just take it back to the dealer, explain to them that you have the condensation problem and have them replace it for you... it is a CPO from lexus so you should have warranty right? it shouldn't matter if its CPO warranty or not...

no harm done...
Old 03-13-05, 01:45 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Jroosh -- I have first hand experience/information, but after your response to Brian, I'm not so sure I want to share. Take is easy on the guy -- he was just trying to help. And by the way, if you don't like my response, keep your insults to yourself.

I just had my headlights replaced last December. My 98 GS400 was out of warranty and was not CPO, but the dealer covered it for me under its "good will" policy. Now, you're probably thinking "Thanks, e, but how the heck is that relevant to my situation?" Well, here's how. While talking to my service advisor (who happens to be a personal friend of mine), he told me that there was a time where the dealership was replacing the headlights on 3 or 4 GS's a week (yes, a week) under either the standard warranty or the CPO warranty. Apparently, after this went on for quite some time, they received an instruction from Lexus that the dealership should no longer replace GS headlights for light condensation (and if they do, Lexus won't cover the service under warranty). Lexus basically told the dealership (and I assume Lexus told other dealerships this as well), that unless there was enough water in the headlights for a fish to swim, they should tell the customer to deal with it.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-05, 02:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Jroosh -- I have first hand experience/information, but after your response to Brian, I'm not so sure I want to share. Take is easy on the guy -- he was just trying to help. And by the way, if you don't like my response, keep your insults to yourself.

I just had my headlights replaced last December. My 98 GS400 was out of warranty and was not CPO, but the dealer covered it for me under its "good will" policy. Now, you're probably thinking "Thanks, e, but how the heck is that relevant to my situation?" Well, here's how. While talking to my service advisor (who happens to be a personal friend of mine), he told me that there was a time where the dealership was replacing the headlights on 3 or 4 GS's a week (yes, a week) under either the standard warranty or the CPO warranty. Apparently, after this went on for quite some time, they received an instruction from Lexus that the dealership should no longer replace GS headlights for light condensation (and if they do, Lexus won't cover the service under warranty). Lexus basically told the dealership (and I assume Lexus told other dealerships this as well), that unless there was enough water in the headlights for a fish to swim, they should tell the customer to deal with it.

Hope this helps.

Bad craftmenship + Mercedes attitude =
Old 03-13-05, 03:05 PM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
All I have to say to this is this should be If you don't want any help or 20 responses then why post
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be a jerk but...check this out...it's pretty comical actually...12 or 13 messages (and the corresponding multiple emails alerting me of a response to my simple post) and finally someone who actually read my original post gave me the answer I was looking for. I know everyone is trying to be helpful (or at least chatty), but I just wanted a simple answer to a simple question.

As you all know if you've been here a while, if you don't get an answer to a question pretty much right away in the thread, the thread gets off track and you never get the answer (this thread is case in point) and you almost have to start a new one to get an answer. I was just trying to avoid that. Sorry if I got a bit frustrated with BRIANGS430.

I know the GS has condensation problems. What I was wondering was whether anyone with a CPO had gotten a dealership to cover it under the CPO warranty. It would appear that they no longer cover this under the CPO warranty (although supposedly everything but "trim" is covered) and I will have to beg, negotiate or pay for it myself.

Thanks e-man and the rest of you.

jroosh

Last edited by jroosh; 03-13-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 05:05 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

no harm done and you got the answer you were looking for

i didn't know that lexus no longer replaced the headlights, not something i need to worry about but that is something new to me... and the new 06 GS has the same problem so...
Old 03-13-05, 06:27 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
no harm done and you got the answer you were looking for

i didn't know that lexus no longer replaced the headlights, not something i need to worry about but that is something new to me... and the new 06 GS has the same problem so...
I think they still may replace them, but it might be under a "good will" exception, as opposed to being covered by warranty. I'd like to know if anyone else has any more information about this. Even though Lexus told my dealership that it should no longer replace the headlights under warranty, perhaps this instruction was only issued to this particular dealership because of the sheer number of headlight replacements they were doing each week. Does anyone else have relevant info?

Quick Reply: Headlight Condensation on a CPO GS 430