GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Countdown to Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 08:25 PM
Ripper
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Countdown to Ownership

Hey, all. I've always liked the look of the GS ever since the 1st gen came out. Finally decided to get a 2nd gen so I've been searching for the right GS4 for months and lurking around this forum has really helped out with all my questions. I finally found a 2001 GS430, Silver on Black, navi and ML audio with 41K miles. I'm flying up to pick her up tomorrow in CT and then drive back to VA. Guess eveyone here can appreciate how excited I am! It's gonna be hard to sleep tonight.
Old 03-13-05, 08:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Congratulation! Post pics when you get it and be safe on the drive back
Old 03-13-05, 09:07 PM
Master-GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait till I get to make a thread like this! Congrats!
Old 03-13-05, 09:36 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well early congrats to you. thats a great combo...
Old 03-14-05, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey congrats on your upcoming car!
Old 03-14-05, 04:37 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME VanWinkle
Old 03-14-05, 06:19 AM
johnnyo808
Driver School Candidate

Good luck with it! I finally got mine a little over a week ago, and it won't stop snowing!! I'm going nuts having to walk around it in the garage every morning! The forcast looks pretty good this week, so you shouldn't have any problems. Keep an eye on the speedo! You WILL be speeding a lot! Just try not to get caught doing so!
Old 03-14-05, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyo808
Good luck with it! I finally got mine a little over a week ago, and it won't stop snowing!! I'm going nuts having to walk around it in the garage every morning! The forcast looks pretty good this week, so you shouldn't have any problems. Keep an eye on the speedo! You WILL be speeding a lot! Just try not to get caught doing so!
hahhaa, hopefully the snow stops soon man. i can imagine how bad it is that you can't drive the car!
Old 03-14-05, 01:08 PM
johnnyo808
Driver School Candidate

It's even worse than you think! One day last week, while heading out in the morning, my daughter says to me, "Daddy, I had a dream we drove in the new car today!" I told her I have the same dream every night!! Soon, very soon!!!!!
Old 03-14-05, 04:12 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to CL

seems like for every 2nd gen member we lose

we gain 4

Old 03-14-05, 04:15 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyo808

snow don't stop me and my love for my RWD V8 beast......some good snow tires, some common sense and you're good to go!
Old 03-14-05, 05:20 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VanWinkle
Hey, all. I've always liked the look of the GS ever since the 1st gen came out. Finally decided to get a 2nd gen so I've been searching for the right GS4 for months and lurking around this forum has really helped out with all my questions. I finally found a 2001 GS430, Silver on Black, navi and ML audio with 41K miles. I'm flying up to pick her up tomorrow in CT and then drive back to VA. Guess eveyone here can appreciate how excited I am! It's gonna be hard to sleep tonight.
If you don't mind, do you mind if I ask what you paid for it. I'm in the market and looking to get basically the identical car. Thanks.

e-man
Old 03-14-05, 05:40 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

congrats on your purchase, and a great combo you chose. Any plans to mod it or keep it as stock?
Old 03-14-05, 07:25 PM
Ripper
Rookie

The car is great. Flew up to CT arrived at 9am, seller picked me up at the airport. Took an extended walk around and asked some more questions, then went to his bank to do the deal.

Then to top it off, I got to drive the car for 5 1/2 hours on the open highway. What a luxurious beast. It's even better than I expected. I thought the steering would have less feel and that the tranny would be more resistant to kickdown. I was pleasantly suprised. This is the third GS4 that I have driven and it is definitely the best of the bunch (compared to a 98 w/89Kmiles, 00 w/58K and an 02 w/96K) . Performance and pimping.

I'm going to TRY to hold off the mods until I am more familiar with the car and have a better feel for what I want to accomplish. Having said that, these are my initial thoughts:

1. Even though the handling is better than I had thought it would be, it was a little more floaty than I like. I will still do some mods. I'm thinking Daizen (sp?) sways, bilstein/eibach and TRD fstb. I am hoping that this will give me the handling accuracy I need but not destroy the smooth luxury ride.

2. For power, I'm considering the SRT intake and RMM 3.76 LSD. Not sure on the intake because I don't want a lot of noise in or outside of the car.

3. Appearence will mostly likely stay stock except for the tint that is already on it and a drop.

This will give you guys an idea of how I like my ride to be modded. It is a link to some pics of my Maxima that the GS is replacing. Stock in appeariance, tastefully modded. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/785358

PS: The asking price was $27,500K. We negotiated down from there. Not sure that the final price is a good indicator because it was a "must sell" situation. We settled up at $25K.
Old 03-14-05, 07:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VanWinkle
PS: The asking price was $27,500K. We negotiated down from there. Not sure that the final price is a good indicator because it was a "must sell" situation. We settled up at $25K.
WOW!!! That really is an incredible deal, especially with that mileage. Nice job. Do you have any pix yet to post?

e-man

Quick Reply: Countdown to Ownership