GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sold G35C To Keep GS 400, Interesting Thread @ G35 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 11:43 PM
kazam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [B]Sold G35C To Keep GS 400, Interesting Thread @ G35 Driver.Com[/B]

I've been a silent member/browser around 2yrs now. So this is my first post that has any meaning. Anyway, thought this might interest you guys. Check out G35Driver.com(coupes section). I just could not get rid of my GS. I felt like was making a huge mistake by selling the GS. Anyway, since the Infiniti G35C is gone, I have a new found extreme appreciation for my GS400. See below for my orig thread starter, then check out the replies @ G35Driver. I sure got alot of responses!

Enjoy!

Sold My 04 Coupe After 2mos. Was Not Impressed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I begin, by no means am I bashing the G35 Coupe. This is just my opinion! Now, back when I was researching the coupe, I originally thought the coupe was one of the best looking coupes on the road. This was until I purchased my G35 in Dec. My original intentions were to sell my Lexus GS400. Well that didn't happen. I have compiled a short list of adverse remarks with regards to the coupe.

1. Seating position.
a. It felt like my back was laying against wood. Very uncomfortable.
b. Very narrow shoulder and hip room. (maybe because I'm 6' 3"?).

2. Cheap interior feel.
a. I couldn't stand looking at the interior in the daylight. Strangely enough, I was much relieved with the night time look(instrument panel, navigation, etc..). This kept me from looking at the cheap/fake and easily scratchable aluminum panels. Oh yea, I could've sworn each day I would find a new scratch/scuff mark inside the interior(especially inside of the door by the speaker).

3. Odd body look from different angles.
a. Hard to explain, but whenever I would see a G on the road, I would say to myself thats what I'm driving? The coupe just seemed a little weird from different angles.

And lastly, even though I'm only 26yrs old, I felt like the coupe is more suited for a someone a little younger(IMO). This is maybe because of the cheap interior feel(which has a big impression). Anyway, I think the culprit was the fast transition from the Lexus GS400 to the coupe. And yes, I do understand the coupe and the GS are in different classes. I just set my expectations way to high(smoothness, ride, overall integrity). Oh and by the way, my coupe was loaded.(6K,navi,18" rims, etc..)

To sum it all up, I recently sold my coupe at a heavy loss and kept my Lexus, which is more of a everyday type of car.

Thanks all, I had a great time on the board.

99 Lexus GS400, silver, V8 300HP " A very fast boat"(Now keeping).

Last edited by kazam; 03-13-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 11:47 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GS pride baby!
Old 03-14-05, 12:21 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Well glad you came to a decision. Either way to me would be a win-win situation. Your thread got off topic quick. Lots of folks who just cant take any criticism, but what forum doesnt have em? (CL doesnt really have that problem though!) Props for sticking with the GS CREW.
Old 03-14-05, 12:32 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Ya, I was reading that thread too. There were only a few haters, most of the others were mature and agreed with him or respectfully disagreed. It seems like the G was not your cup of tea, it just stinks that you lost quite a bit of money. Oh well, at least you got your GS to put a smile on your face
Old 03-14-05, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hello there

well, congrats on keeping the lexus, you made the right choice. my friend with the g35c also told me NOT to get the g35 (i was thinking about) and said i will regret it big time. guess you are confirming that too!
Old 03-14-05, 04:41 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gald you stayed aboard post some pictures of your car
Old 03-14-05, 05:28 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

this just confirms my suspicions of Infinitis being truly overpriced Nissan garbage..

my maxima was the same-everyday I got in there I fell more and more out of love with the car

My now 6 yr old Lexus feels better, stronger, more reliable than my then 1 year old maxima did

Old 03-14-05, 06:00 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
this just confirms my suspicions of Infinitis being truly overpriced Nissan garbage..
I think overpriced Nissan garbage is a little extreme, G35C's are very nice cars. In my opinion, Infiniti / Nissan utilized platform and materials sharing to bring a diverse line of high performing cars to the market at reasonable (based on competition) prices. Perhaps they were a little over ambitious in the interior materials cost cutting ventures! That said, I still wouldnt call them garbage.

I like the G35C's but being a tall guy, I can understand the posters sentiment, my cousin has a 04 with black interior, and it is quite the cramped experience for me!

Enjoy your GS!
Old 03-14-05, 06:12 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I think overpriced Nissan garbage is a little extreme, G35C's are very nice cars. In my opinion, Infiniti / Nissan utilized platform and materials sharing to bring a diverse line of high performing cars to the market at reasonable (based on competition) prices. Perhaps they were a little over ambitious in the interior materials cost cutting ventures! That said, I still wouldnt call them garbage.

what doesn't this guy say thats not extreme...as far as the coupe i still like it a lot, i would probably never buy one cus its too small for me but whenever i see one on the road kitted out with wheels lowered i say "wow, what a great looking little car" i actually like the 350z better but thats just me...good thing is you didn't sell the GS , you would have sold it than made your decision that you want it back and it would have cost you more in the long run. congrats
Old 03-14-05, 06:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY

my maxima was the same-everyday I got in there I fell more and more out of love with the car

My now 6 yr old Lexus feels better, stronger, more reliable than my then 1 year old maxima did

Infiniti's are overpriced Nissan garbage? What planet are you on? Your comments are not grounded in reality or facts my friend.

I have a Lexus GS400 as well as a Nissan Maxima, and granted the Maxima does not come close to the Lexus in quality, calling it garbage is like saying anything less than a Lexus is garbage. So to you a lesser Toyota, Honda Accord, etc is overpriced garbage??
Old 03-14-05, 06:45 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bluelex
what doesn't this guy say thats not extreme...as far as the coupe i still like it a lot, i would probably never buy one cus its too small for me but whenever i see one on the road kitted out with wheels lowered i say "wow, what a great looking little car" i actually like the 350z better but thats just me...good thing is you didn't sell the GS , you would have sold it than made your decision that you want it back and it would have cost you more in the long run. congrats
ROFL!!!!! so because the car LOOKS good, it actually IS a good car, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

taking this to it's logical conclusion that would mean that because the Hyundai Tiburon has dual exhausts, it should be fast and sound mean.......

uh huh.....
Old 03-14-05, 07:06 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluelex

Hey BlueLex your post made my day LOL thanks I needed that this morning
Old 03-14-05, 07:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Kazam, I read that thread on G35driver too, but I always try not to post there unless absolutely necessary as I don't want to get addicted posting too much on another forum, I've spend enough of my time posting here already LOL .

I can see what you mean about the interior, it really does not belong to a car with a luxury badge(OK it's a Nissan in Japan anyway) I bought my SC430 a year before the G35c & obviously there's a night & day difference in build quality especially the interior. I bought the G35c anyway because I like the looks, performance, & handling enough to be willing to compromise with the cheap interior. I alternate between driving the G35 & the SC430 all the time & I don't have a problem adapting to the mediocre interior of the G. Afterall, I was driving a Honda less than 10 years ago, & frankly the interior quality(except the leather )is not too much worse. Since you plan only to keep one of them, for normal driving & practicality the GS is probably the better choice for you.
In normal driving, although the G35c still feels sportier than the GS, its handling advantage does not have too much opportunity to really shine probably 90 % of the time.
As for looks, I personally can't find many angles where the G35c doesn't look great, much less odd, except the straight front view in which it looks too much like a sedan. The SC430 has more odd angles but I think it looks great on other angles.

Yes there are some immature comments on the other forum in response to your thread. They say the usual : Lexus is boring & for older people etc. I always find that kind of comments nonsensical. Although I always enjoy a fun, good handling sports car, I don't agree that's mutually exclusive with the appreciation of a luxury car that's smooth & quiet & have a softer,more isolated ride, I can enjoy both they are just different. Some say the SC430 should have been tuned more sporty, but now that I have the G35c, I don't even want to spend the money on suspension mods etc. to make the SC more sporty. I can just enjoy the SC430 the way it is as a luxury cruiser.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-14-05 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 10:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for your input kazam regarding the G35
My brother in law has one and when I first got to test drive it, I loved it. I thought it was good for that price range. What else can you get in that price range (new) with a good reliability? The only drawback I thought was the trunk being a little small.
Well, good thing you have the GS Welcome back!
Old 03-14-05, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thanks for your input kazam regarding the G35
My brother in law has one and when I first got to test drive it, I loved it. I thought it was good for that price range. What else can you get in that price range (new) with a good reliability? The only drawback I thought was the trunk being a little small.
Well, good thing you have the GS Welcome back!
seriously for a coupe with 4 seats, the trunk is pretty ok imho

and you are right, in that priec range, for a coupe, i think the g35c really gets my vote

Quick Reply: Sold G35C To Keep GS 400, Interesting Thread @ G35 Forum