GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper Clear lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 10:41 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
great, larry.... why are you telling me this when i just got a spare set @_@ how much?
I can't recall what I paid. They come with the amber colored bulbs, I think $15 would be fine.
Old 04-04-05, 10:44 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to test these lights would be to put some duct tape over the holes and place them in a bowl of water for about 1-2 hrs and see if they let the water in before putting them on you car agree or disagree?
Old 04-04-05, 10:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
The best way to test these lights would be to put some duct tape over the holes and place them in a bowl of water for about 1-2 hrs and see if they let the water in before putting them on you car agree or disagree?
Yeah, or maybe just dip the nose of your Lexus into a river or pond. A boat ramp would give you the right angle and the rear traction to maybe get back out.

I'm not sure if submersion is a good thing unless these are incredibly cheap and easily replaceable. Water PROOF (at least in my mind) is different from Water Tite (which is what I would say you are aiming for here vs Water Resistant (which lets condensation in under certain circumstances).
Old 04-04-05, 12:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yeah, or maybe just dip the nose of your Lexus into a river or pond. A boat ramp would give you the right angle and the rear traction to maybe get back out.

I'm not sure if submersion is a good thing unless these are incredibly cheap and easily replaceable. Water PROOF (at least in my mind) is different from Water Tite (which is what I would say you are aiming for here vs Water Resistant (which lets condensation in under certain circumstances).
Well Dave their only referring to $20 bucks at the most I guess maybe their just referring to the time it take to change them
Old 04-04-05, 04:24 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Well Dave their only referring to $20 bucks at the most I guess maybe their just referring to the time it take to change them
Sure they are only $20 so it is quite easy to go out and replace them, but who wants to spend $20 to keep on replacing them once they yellow on the inside, like mine did. I would rather get ones that are pretty well sealed, or seal them better myself so they last longer than 6 months.
Old 04-14-05, 08:20 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Just finished installing my OBX clear bumper lens. WOW, what a difference it makes-the ones on the car when I bought it had condensation and were beginning to look pretty bad. I tried the amber bulb and it did look very nice, but I decided to stay with the Polarg blue bulb. Looks awesome, very happy with the result. Here's a couple of comparison pics.

Old 04-15-05, 12:37 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Removing OEM side marker lights

I have my new OBX clears ready to install. I haven't yet decided whether to use white Polarg bulbs, amber bulbs, or amber colored LEDs (if I choose LEDs, I plan on using the ones with one wide angle central LED and four additional LEDs firing out to the side arranged in a pinwheel). I have reached into the interior of the bumber to gain access to the backside of the OEM marker. I can remove the bulb holder with no problem and also can feel the ends of the two threaded mounting bolts. However, I can't tell for sure how to release the fastener that is holding the marker to the bumper. I feel a flat round disc on each bolt but can't find anything to grasp to turn it. Those of you who have already removed and replaced this item, how do I remove those retaining discs? Is there a socket or wrench that fits, I can't feel anything that I can get a grip on.
Old 04-15-05, 01:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

larry, 10mm socket wrench, all you need. the hat of that "flat washer" is 10mm, or so i remmeber. maybe 8, but definitely hex
Old 04-15-05, 04:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
larry, 10mm socket wrench, all you need. the hat of that "flat washer" is 10mm, or so i remmeber. maybe 8, but definitely hex
yes, its 10mm. a real small ratchet worked for me. the washers you feel are attached to a 10mm bolt(x2)
Old 04-15-05, 05:38 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DetMich1
I have my new OBX clears ready to install. I haven't yet decided whether to use white Polarg bulbs, amber bulbs, or amber colored LEDs.
I have the ambers in now, but I think I'm gonna try these to match fogs..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=15
Old 04-15-05, 11:28 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

I like the way those yellows look and how they match up w/ the foglights. Any idea if the cops would harass you for having these instead of hte amber bulbs? or are these close enough for them to let it slide? i guess it just may depend on whether the cop is having a bad day or not, but limiting my chances is always best.
Old 04-15-05, 07:01 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PineGreen
I like the way those yellows look and how they match up w/ the foglights. Any idea if the cops would harass you for having these instead of hte amber bulbs? or are these close enough for them to let it slide? i guess it just may depend on whether the cop is having a bad day or not, but limiting my chances is always best.
I think the yellow or amber are equally acceptable. Its only white or blue that is not in compliance with the state motor vehicle code. Are those the stock yellow fogs in that pic? Anyone know what kind of bulb he is using? My yellow fogs were changed out for clear before I got the car. I'm planning on getting one of the ion yellow (2500K) 9006 bulbs for the fogs to create that yellow fog light effect. I already installed the 9005 high beam bulbs mentioned in another thread that are 4350K to match the color of the OEM HID headlights. Installed my 2001+ taillights earlier this week, very happy with the appearance. Did anyone see the Junction Produce cleared out taillights for sale on eBay for $799? Still pricey but way less than the $1350 or so that they were going for before.
Old 04-15-05, 07:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I think the yellow or amber are equally acceptable. Its only white or blue that is not in compliance with the state motor vehicle code. Are those the stock yellow fogs in that pic? Anyone know what kind of bulb he is using? My yellow fogs were changed out for clear before I got the car. I'm planning on getting one of the ion yellow (2500K) 9006 bulbs for the fogs to create that yellow fog light effect. I already installed the 9005 high beam bulbs mentioned in another thread that are 4350K to match the color of the OEM HID headlights. Installed my 2001+ taillights earlier this week, very happy with the appearance. Did anyone see the Junction Produce cleared out taillights for sale on eBay for $799? Still pricey but way less than the $1350 or so that they were going for before.
hey Mich-most of your questions are answered in this thread.
I ordered a set from the link in this thread from engin ear
Old 04-15-05, 11:24 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
hey Mich-most of your questions are answered in this thread.
I ordered a set from the link in this thread from engin ear
Chuck, I just finished re-reading the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. Yes, I understand engin-ear use the PIAA ion yellow 194 bulbs in his clear side marker lights. I was asking about what kind of bulb he had in his fogs. From reading his comments in the other thread I note that he has OEM yellow fog lamps with white bulbs. Since I have clear fog lamps instead of the yellow that came stock with my HID headlamps, I am thinking I will try one of the ion yellow bulbs for the fog lamps. There are several brands I have come across that are in the 2500K color range, these should match up well with either the PIAA or another brand of yellow/amber bulb for the side markers.
Old 04-16-05, 04:59 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Chuck, I just finished re-reading the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. Yes, I understand engin-ear use the PIAA ion yellow 194 bulbs in his clear side marker lights. I was asking about what kind of bulb he had in his fogs. From reading his comments in the other thread I note that he has OEM yellow fog lamps with white bulbs. Since I have clear fog lamps instead of the yellow that came stock with my HID headlamps, I am thinking I will try one of the ion yellow bulbs for the fog lamps. There are several brands I have come across that are in the 2500K color range, these should match up well with either the PIAA or another brand of yellow/amber bulb for the side markers.
yup, I asked him too, he has stock fogs. hopefully finding a matching yellow bulb for clear fogs won't be too hard. I'm sure someone knows which one looks best and/or close to stock yellow fogs

Quick Reply: Bumper Clear lights