GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS on theives most wanted list

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-01, 07:55 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP 25..

Not even in the top 25..

http://2-unlock.com/top_25_stolen_cars.htm
Old 06-04-01, 08:24 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Other options

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
There is a device called a PageTrack2 ( look here: http://www.elitelogistics.com ) You can find out more, in a nutshell it is a monitored stolen vehicle locator.
That link didn't work for me. I did find Elite Logistics at http://www.elitelog.com. Looks interesting. I've e-mailed them to find out more about it.

Last edited by RealMarty; 06-04-01 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-04-01, 12:05 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My bad

I confused the name with the web address.
Old 06-04-01, 12:51 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Why such a bad alarm??????

Why did Lexus put such a bad alarm on their car???? I have a 1992 SC300 and the alarm on it sucks. I jacked my car up to take off the wheels and give them a good cleaning. When it was jacked up enough, i got up and noticed that my alarm was on and no windows were open. Boy do I feel good, now that i know sumone can jack up my car, steal my chrome rims, and put it back down w/o the damn alarm going off. Also, i've locked my car and started to shake it, bounce it, etc. to try to set off the alarm and nothing works. The only time i have gotten it to go off, is when i have the windows rolled down and reach in and unlock it manually. I'm sure that the alarm on the new GS's and Lexus's are better (at least I'm hoping), but i think the best security is to park kinda far away from the other cars in a parking lot and at night, find a spot where people in public can see ur car, and a spot that is under a light. i figure that car jackers don't like attention, and if they are all alone out in a parking lot where they can't hide inbetween cars, etc., they will look for an easier target. I guess u could always pay someone to stand outside by ur car and guard it. (I wish)
Old 06-04-01, 02:16 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Why such a bad alarm??????

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
Why did Lexus put such a bad alarm on their car???? I have a 1992 SC300 and the alarm on it sucks. I jacked my car up to take off the wheels and give them a good cleaning. When it was jacked up enough, i got up and noticed that my alarm was on and no windows were open. Boy do I feel good, now that i know sumone can jack up my car, steal my chrome rims, and put it back down w/o the damn alarm going off. Also, i've locked my car and started to shake it, bounce it, etc. to try to set off the alarm and nothing works.
I don't believe any of the Lexus alarms incorporate a motion detector. Actually, I don't know of any other manufacturers' alarms that do...but there may be some. That's one reason to protect your wheels with wheel locks.

The whole idea is to make it undesirable for the thief to bother with your car and to move on to easier pickings.

The bottom line here is...If thieves want your car or any part of it bad enough they'll find a way to get it. I don't care what kind of alarm, lock, device, etc. you have on it. Any device can be defeated. That's why insurance exists.
Old 06-04-01, 02:43 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

First, let me start by saying that it's comforting knowing that most, if not all, the people on this forum are law abiding citizens (except for some of the tint!! ). The truth of the matter is that your car is not safe. If someone wants a part or all of your car they will have it. When I was younger I wasn't exactly a law abiding citizen and many of my "acquaintances" would steal cars (or parts of cars) just for ****'s and giggles. Sound systems were obviously the first choice. All you guys that compete at sound-offs and show off how your alarm works, your probably being cased by at least one thief, they might even follow you home. As for stealing the whole car, Globe, you're usually on point but the whole "high class won't buy a stolen Lex" theory doesn't sit well with me. Just because it's a nice car doesn't mean SOMEONE won't buy it. If some kid with nothing steals a $40,000 car you don't think he can't find somebody to but it for $5000??? If it has a broken window and a screwed up ignition no one's going to mind.
I KNOW people that have taken Vettes, Mustangs, Caddies, Honda's, Bikes, and I'm sure a Lexus or two...I realize most the cars listed are not in the class of Lexus but it doesn't matter. If it can be driven away, it might just be a joyride car for a while, if it's damaged then its off to a chopshop. That's why Mustangs were so popular in the late 80's-early 90's, most the parts were interchangeable.
I haven't checked on lojack technology in a while but it doesn't take long to sweep a car for aftermarket "black boxes" and throw them to the curb. At least a few years ago, there was plenty of time to get a car without even a threat of a cop looking for it.
A few of the guys I knew would pull people right out of the car a stoplight. Imagine driving to work with your cup of Starbucks and the next thing you know you looking at your own exhaust. It's that easy. Same guys made a buttload of money on insurance scams stealing cars left in a parking lot with a Burgerking cup left upside down on the dash. They steal it, bang it up, owner collects, everyone gets paid.
I am by NO MEANS trying to glorify this, I just want you all to know that it happens, so be careful and take precautions with your car. Get an aftermarket alarm, preferably one that pages you when it's tripped, then you can refer to Manaray on what to do next.
Old 06-04-01, 03:54 PM
dgangi

Default Interesting theft deterrent

Here's an intersting twist to this car theft thread...

Wanna know one of the best theft deterrents around? It's not a Lojack...not a club...not an alarm. It's a manual transmission!

That's right -- in our heyday of automatic trannys, the kids don't know how to drive 5-speeds. Think about it -- less than 5% of the new cars made today are equipped with a manual transmission. The 5 (or 6) speed transmission has gone the way of the 8-track or phonograph. Sad, but true, even the "drivers" cars like the BMW 328 and 528 are only ordered by the dealers as autos. If you want a manual you have to order it special (unless you are lucky enough to find one that somebody ordered and cancelled). Even the newer Vettes and other sports cars come with autos by default.

So, when kids learn to drive these days they don't learn on a manual. In cars that are popular with thieves (such as Camry or Accord), the automatic versions of the cars are usually stolen far greater than the 5-speed versions (based on statistical variance over the general population of each type of car). I'm sure this is partly due to some statistical significance in the value of the cars equipped with an auto, but the fact does hold true.

Of course, the pros know how to drive 5-speeds, but they are the minority when it comes to auto theft. The average thief is <16 years old and most professional rings use these kids to steal cars. So, little Johnny will bypass a manual at all costs because he isn't comfortable driving it (if he even knows how to).

I just found this to be an interesting fact...

Thx...Doug
Old 06-05-01, 03:17 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Hey Zushwa,

What happened to your "friends"? If they ever come around looking for my car, PLEASE tell them to leave the CD case on the ground. That's all I care about. The rest will be replaced (and paid for ). But to be forewarned, if I ever saw them mess with my car or try to steal my baby, BANG! would be the only sound they'd hear. And the last -- I'll only need one shot.

Brian
Old 06-05-01, 04:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On mine...it would BANGx100. I only need one round too but I have a 100 round "Beta C" magazine (loaded at all times...ready to roll) for my AR with about 10,000 or so rounds of 5.56 NATO in the house, so what the hell, why not?! Hey, you never know how many "buddies" he might have with him...
Old 06-05-01, 06:57 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Brian S, I don't think you have to worry about my "friends" unless you make it to the OH/PA/NY area often..besides, that was 10 or so years ago...I've moved up in the world, kinda!!

Manaray is right, very rarely do car thieves work alone. The good news is they really don't want to get caught or killed but you might want to make sure the situation is well in hand before clicking the safety back on.

Manaray, 100 rounds?? Does your insurance cover self induced bullet holes??? J/K!!

That's what I like to see on this board, people that don't complain after their car is fu#&ed with, but those that ensure it won't be fu#&ed with.
Old 06-06-01, 03:29 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Gone in 60 sec.

After I saw that movie, I was paraniod for like 2 or 3 weeks that my car wasn't going to be where I left it. I am amazed how easy it is to steal a car (eventhough i know it was only a movie), but i am sure that some of those techniques work. The best way to steal a car here in Nashville, TN is to go to Global Motorsports. It sells used imports like Jags, benz, Audi, etc....not many Lexi though. When my mom and i went to test drive a Benz E320 and an Audi A8, they just gave us the keys and let us go. They didn't take a credit card #, copy of my moms license, etc. :eek: . It would be soooooo easy to go there, test drive a car (theres a Rolls there now, and sumtimes there is a Ferrari), and be on ur way to Cali. Just remember to call ur friend to come pic up ur car like 5 min. after ur gone.