GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS on theives most wanted list

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-01, 09:14 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Was watching the news the other night & saw that the Lexus GS300/400 post '98 was in the top 5 of the top 10 Most Stolen cars in the country.

Has anyone on this board experience a theft of their GS?? Didn't someone get their car broken into @ a damn carshow in Jersey before? Has anyone taken steps to further secure their investment??

Very interested in this?
Old 06-03-01, 12:58 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

whoa, i didn't know that:eek: It is usually like toyota camry's, honda accords etc... small cars usually take the top 10, not luxury cars like lexus's, MB's.

There's only so much we can do, and they can still take it.

But one thing is for sure, the factory alarm SUCKS.
Old 06-03-01, 01:12 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up LoJack

I plan to install LoJack on my GS 430 when it comes in. Didn't bother on the GS 400 since it's a lease.
Old 06-03-01, 01:44 PM
chino78
Rookie

Get the Lo Jack its worth it for an extra $10 a month or so you can secore your ivestment and it might lower your insurance depending on the company.
Old 06-03-01, 01:50 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I checked a few top 10 stolen car lists, the GS isn't up there. Maybe in yoru area it is, but not here in the bay area, cause there are tons of rice kids that steal stuff for their cars so that's too bad you live around an area where the GS's are the equivalent of civics and intergras around here.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 06-03-01, 02:19 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Has anyone try the auto lock seen on infomercials nightly? It's a piece of lock that stretches down from the steering wheel to the brake. What it does is it expands it's clutch and locks the brake paddle so you can't press down on the brake. No brake no stop....so hard to steal.
Old 06-03-01, 02:26 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i've seen it! looks like a really good investment, except they can still take everything but the car..
Old 06-03-01, 04:58 PM
dgangi

Lightbulb Autolock

Yeah, I've seen the Autolock on TV myself and it looks like a terrific idea. I have lots of friends in the insurance industry and NOBODY steals a car with a tow truck. Thieves always try to drive the car away, so a device like this that completely disables the car is a great idea. And they are telling the truth -- the brake pedal is extremely strong and anything attached to it will not be removed without a cutting torch.

The good news about this device is that it will keep your car from being taken. The bad news is that the theif will still try to take the car, which means that they will probably beak your window or door, smash the steering column and dash, and try like hell to remove the Autolock. SO, even though the car won't be stolen you will still have a lot of damage that needs to be repaired. But, that's better than walking out to an empty parking space.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-03-01, 05:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let's think about it..

Most people here drive GS because it's really one heck of a car. And besides the car, the NAME is important too.

If a person is high-class enough to think about buying a Lexus, what's the chances that he/she will buy a stolen one?

I think the majority of stolen GSs goes out of country, like to Phillipines or Thailand where it just doesn't matter what route you get your car from. If they're selling whole cars, then they won't break the windows or anything. Just flatbed it.

Then it renders autolock useless.
Old 06-03-01, 05:46 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Well, for me I believe there is NOTHING you can do if they tow your truck away. Not Lojack, not autolock etc.. BUT autolock looks like the BEST deterrent for theives that want to drive your car away instead of towing it.

You can't do anything if they tow it.

Old 06-03-01, 07:33 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

well...autolock and lojack is probably the best thing next to installing a bullet proof glass and armor bodypanels.
I mean if somebody tyies to tow a GS or MB S class at a parking lot I would be like #$$#?? I would stand around and look at them. The last thing a thief want is attention and eyewitness. They can't just blend in either when you towing a GS with a Big *** truck, people will look.

Besides, if you cought somebody trying to mess with your GS, you can take out the autolock and beat them with it too. it's made of durable stainless steel.
Old 06-03-01, 08:01 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Before purchasing the LoJack, you should check your local "po-po" department, police for the challenged, and confirm that they have the tracking transmitters & how many.

I was once in the market to get Lojack until i found out that there were too few tracking devices for the # of police units out there. On top of this, I know police departments in general don't usually make stolen cars a priority on their "TO-DO" list.

In the District of Columbia, there is ony ONE damn patrol car with the Lojack transmitter......I know Dc is small as far as square mileage is concerned but DAMN, gimmie a break.:eek:

Old 06-04-01, 07:31 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Other options

The Lo-Jack idea is a good one except the whole concept of it has a few fundamental flaws in it. One as others have mentioned is the ability for police to actually track the car down, and I think they have to be within a 2.5 mile radius for the transmitters to work. Second, you have to know that your car was stolen--I have mentioned this in other threads, but if you go out to the movies or leave your car at a train station for work any one who wants your car will plan it well. They will know your comings and goings and watch you. If they see you go into a movie they know you are not going because you had a craving for popcorn, you are there for the next 2 hours. At the train station the next 8-10 hours. You need a device that alerts you when your car is broken into. There is a device called a PageTrack2 ( look here: http://www.elitelogistics.com ) You can find out more, in a nutshell it is a monitored stolen vehicle locator. You can track your own car on the internet-it uses the DOD GPS satellites for tracking and the Skytel paging network satellites for communication to and from your vehicle. THis is very similar to Onstar (not as expensive for annual service) and similar to the new Lexus Link system. Just something to think about, before you get a false sense of security with the Lo-Jack.
Old 06-04-01, 07:49 AM
Benny
Rookie

i'd rather opt for the south african security devise that sends a large blade out from underneath the car causing the assailant to become 8" shorter on impact. or that devise the shoots 7' flames from underneath the door to anyone attempting to enter car with first disarming alarm. until then the walther p99 will have to do.
Old 06-04-01, 07:54 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default TOP 10..

Worry not oh GS owners. Lexus is not in the top 10 for the most stolen vehicles in the US. Here are the standings..

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/546927.asp?cp1=1

Quick Reply: GS on theives most wanted list