GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 1st real mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 10:10 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My 1st real mods

I changed to bulbs already and added a Kicker Solobaric 12 with an Arc Audio amp and I love it. But now on to the serious part of my ride. Suspension, wheels and tires... I got my Tax refund back last night and I am already ready to pull the trigger on these parts. Before I buy, I wanted to get some ideas from expierence of other on CL.

I am thinking of getting the L-tuned S/S, this is my daily driver and I do not want it to bounce like a Honda or ride stiff like my Camaro. From the research I have done, it looks like the L-tuned setup could be exactly what I am looking for. It drops the car a little (.5-1") if everything I read so far is right and I am not getting it confused with another setup. I was looking at Tein CS coilovers, but the price and me not want to go real low have made me second my thoughts....

I am looking at getting 20's, hopefully something similar to the I-forged AERO, or resembling the L-sportline M1's like on D-man's ride.... I was thinking of running a 20x8 in front for clearance issues, but I am finding more and more wheels available in 20x8.5 for front - either way with a 245/35/20 or 255/25/20. In the rear I would like to run either a 20x9.5 or 20x10 depending on rubbing issues, and sizes available - either one with a 275/30/20. From the searching I did with the L-tuned setup I should be fine in terms of rubbing, is that right?

I have seen a couple of pics of some of you with L-tuned and 20's and I like the setup, I am having trouble figuring out the offsets though.

I know it;s several questions, but any help appreciated.
Old 03-17-05, 11:04 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

L-Tuned will drop about 1.25" up front and 1" in the rear. If you have no interest in coilovers, then don't worry about it. If it is even a consideration, then you might want to think about getting them now or waiting. If you won't miss the install price, then you can do the L-Tuned now and coilovers later. I went from L-Tuned S/S to Tein Flex to Tein CS. "Wasted" 2 install costs but I'm OK with it.

Read this:
http://www.lgwnorcal.com/articles/WheelFitment.shtml

As long as you stay in the conservative area, you will minimize rubbing. There will be incidental rubbing in some situations because with 20s, the wheel diameter is 1" more than stock. Not much you can do about eliminating the incidental ones. It's the price you pay for 20s.
Old 03-17-05, 11:13 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent choice with the Arc amp but why the solobaric sub?? thats like buyin an S500 and askin if they got cloth....

have fun modding
Old 03-17-05, 11:36 AM
whytry
Advanced

Thanks Neo, I figured the incedential is no big deal, but the constant is what I did not want to have.... As for the suspension, I really like the look of the L-tuned cars I have seen if there are more post pics please .... I am eager to get it going, the weather has been nice... As for the coilover I do not want to give up much in comfort of ride. The adjustability of the coilovers is not a big thing for me.... I like the amount of wheel gap on the L-tuned and especially the no rubbing....

I am hoping to get to one of the Nor Cal meets so I can maybe get to go for a ride in some cars with both the L-tuned and the Tien CS's as those are my two choices as of now. But I saw on another post the L-tuned special pricing is only until the end of the month, so I better move fast... If anybody here lives in Nor Cal, San Jose to be exact and would not mind giving a fellow CL member a ride around the block in any of the above mentioned suspensions with 20's please PM me...

As for the sub of choice - I already had it sitting in the garage, so I figured I might as well use it for an interim fix until I get the car lowered, wheels, etc. I could not stand the Stock free air sub any longer.... So I had to change it. I might be looking into a Dynaudio or maybe Focal, I have heard the Image Dynamics as well, from another Arc Audio guy I know. It sounded good to me as well.. I do agree, gotta love the Arc Audio stuff
Old 03-17-05, 11:40 AM
whytry
Advanced

OK so after I read the info from Neo's link, if I read it correctly I will be going with 20x8.5 with +38 offset, and maybe a 20x10 with a +44 offset right? If I do that would I run a 245/35/20 in front and a 275/30-20 in rear or a 285/30 in rear?
Old 03-17-05, 12:15 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds about right..
im runnong 20x9 +38 and 20x10 +47...
i wish i had a 20x8.5 tho...
Old 03-17-05, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for the drop, i think the ltuned shoudl be pretty soft. personally i am sure everyone knows i don't recommend anything but coilover, but if money is your problem, i think ltuned is ok. the drop isn't that aggressive as well

for the aero wheels, if you want a set of 20x8.5 and 20x10 perfect fitment for the gs, 2 piece, used, let me know. i know a set for sale, i can try to hook you up
Old 03-17-05, 03:09 PM
whytry
Advanced

00lexondub - why do you wish you had 20x8.5? narrower, for more clearance? I am just trying to reconfirm my choices that's all....

rominl - I know you really like the coilovers. I have read many a post by you. I guess if the price is right I will go coilovers, but when I saw the price for the L-tuned setup I thought I can't go wrong.... On the wheels - I PM'd you!!!!
Old 03-17-05, 05:27 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Whytry, if I were you I would do the coilover suspension.. I had H&R's lowering springs w/ bilstein shocks like 3-4 years ago and it dropped 1.4f and 1.3r.. The first 6-8 months I was loving it then I wanted to go lower and invested in some coilovers, now thinking back I would have gone straight to coilovers ! The ride isn't that much harsher than shocks/springs combo if it is at all. Trust me on this, do coilovers ! I too wasn't concerned about ride height at first, but I changed my mind later on down the road wishing I had less fender gap..

As for wheels, I am not sure how much your budget is, another rim I like is the HRE 546R, dont have a pic on me but its classy looking.. I would do a little more aggressive offset, modifying the fender a little is not a big deal and the way a 2nd Gen GS looks with the right drop and aggressive wheels is awesome.
Old 03-17-05, 11:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
00lexondub - why do you wish you had 20x8.5? narrower, for more clearance? I am just trying to reconfirm my choices that's all....

rominl - I know you really like the coilovers. I have read many a post by you. I guess if the price is right I will go coilovers, but when I saw the price for the L-tuned setup I thought I can't go wrong.... On the wheels - I PM'd you!!!!
i got your pm and replied, will get back, or remind me in a week if i don't
Old 03-18-05, 04:01 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whytry
when I saw the price for the L-tuned setup I thought I can't go wrong....
I bought the L-tuned S/S a few months ago and really like the resultant ride, handling and amount of lowering. Any more would be a real pain over speed bumps or steep driveways. I already have rubbing and I don't even have any body kit mods. With front or rear dams that are lower to the ground and more drop than L-tuned you will be scraping a lot going up and down driveways and such. Another wheel to look at that is very similar to the M 1 is the SSR GT3. I don't think it comes in chrome, just silver and bright satin with a polished lip. HRE's are real nice but in 20's would certaninly cost more than $1000/rim and then you still need tires. Severe drop would probably give you more camber problems too. And rapid wear on expensive 20's would be an ongoing expense for frequent replacement. I chose 18's for ride and wear concerns. My car is a daily driver and I put on 25,000 miles a year. That many miles/hours in the car I want a smooth and quiet ride. but still with good handling
Old 03-18-05, 04:09 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default SSR GT3 rims

Compare to M1's
Attached Thumbnails My 1st real mods-ssr_gt3_ci3_l.jpg  
Old 03-18-05, 04:14 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hre 546r

These are the HRE 546R mentioned by D-man
Attached Thumbnails My 1st real mods-546r_ow.jpg  
Old 03-18-05, 04:19 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

HRE 546R on an Audi, couldn't find them on a GS
Attached Thumbnails My 1st real mods-wheelsperformancecom_1838_6228628.gif  
Old 03-18-05, 04:37 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the HRE's I think they would look sick color matched with a polished lip

Quick Reply: My 1st real mods