GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some awful news about the car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 04:10 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some awful news about the car...

Nothing too major but I have to have my car (bodykit) repainted. I had it painted last year and the clear coat is now peeling on one of the doors and I also have some chips that have come out during the winter.
SO I bring the car to my friend who works for a very good paint shop. he is doing side work at another shop and said he would take care of me. I get there and we look at the car he breaks it down for me. I always knew it was an awful paint job but didn't relaize in essence the people who painted it last year ruined my car. He couldn't believe how much dirt was inbedded in the paint and how bad the clear coat was dulling and how they may have never added clear coat on the rear fender. Just awful news so now he has to really do my car all over because the guys must have tryed to blend it in and sprayed the hood, trunk and doors!!
I am so disgusted I could puke these pukes who ripped ultimatley screwed me last year ruined my car. So much money now.
What would you guys do?
Old 03-18-05, 04:34 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry to hear jeff .. best of luck to ya bro ... their is another way bro though
Old 03-18-05, 04:37 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dam dude..
Old 03-18-05, 04:47 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me. I had a shop repaint the hood and front bumper. Get the car and the hood has dirt in it in spots and the paint was not very smooth, worse than the stock orange peel. The front bumper looks ok but I tell the guy I want him to repaint it and do it right. He says it is fine and thats all he is going to do. The next day I call him and tell him if he doesnt fix it I will take him to small claims court. He still says no. Then a lawyer friend of mine calls the guy and tells him he is representing me and that we are going to sue him, which I had no intentions of doing, and the guy agrees to refund half my money. I was ok with that because the front bumper looks great. But I still need to get my hood repainted.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you
Old 03-18-05, 06:15 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey man, the best thing you can do is tell us who painted your car so hopefully he loses business! I hate to see this happen to any CL friends! I would go back there even though its been a year and make your complaints to the bodyshop and see how he responds.
Old 03-18-05, 06:51 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Report it to your local BBB and govt licensing agency. Also post up the name of the paint shop here and on other local forum sites of your experience. Lastly, try taking him to small claims court....make sure to take pics and get estimates from 3 independent paint shops.

good luck

Pete
Old 03-18-05, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man that really sux.... maybe you can get the info and tell the previous job and refund your money, or you report the bbb. i think that's a good way to deal with it
Old 03-18-05, 11:28 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Sorry to hear that Jeff!

I would pay a visit to the guys who painted your kit originally with a 7 iron and 983 driver in hand. hahah
Old 03-19-05, 03:11 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

a BBB report is useless...no one ever goes on the BBB to look up a company when doing business anyway

BBB doesn't even really get involved, besides writing ONE intiial letter to the offending company and if they choose not to respond, oh well

Best thing is to go down there, threaten to sue and if that don't work, bite the bullet and actually sue in small claims (if your damages are less than or equal to their limit amount-$3,000 here in NYC) or pay a lawyer to make a call to them and scare the **** outta the owner...

If that doesn't work, I have "OTHER" ideas I can share via PM......

Originally Posted by LexAristo
Sorry to hear that Jeff!

I would pay a visit to the guys who painted your kit originally with a 7 iron and 983 driver in hand. hahah

something along THOSE lines, but I didn't want to post about them
Old 03-19-05, 07:20 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Dam that suck's just try to be somewhat cool about it I know your hot so don't do something you'll regret later.
Old 03-19-05, 08:35 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll tell you what does work when you have a gripe against a business. More than once I have stood in front of the offending business with a big sign saying, "don't stop here, they will rip you off." It happened at a Toyota dealer. They called the cops...cops told them as long as I wasn't on their property, nothing they could do. Several people turned away. They sent everyone available to help me after seeing people leave.
Here in SoFl, we have a local news station with a guy who takes on the big boys. He calls it Help Me Howard. You send him your gripe....if he likes it he'll visit the offending business with news cameras. Usually, the company helps the person with the problem because they don't want the negative press.
Old 03-19-05, 10:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
I'll tell you what does work when you have a gripe against a business. More than once I have stood in front of the offending business with a big sign saying, "don't stop here, they will rip you off." It happened at a Toyota dealer. They called the cops...cops told them as long as I wasn't on their property, nothing they could do. Several people turned away. They sent everyone available to help me after seeing people leave.
Here in SoFl, we have a local news station with a guy who takes on the big boys. He calls it Help Me Howard. You send him your gripe....if he likes it he'll visit the offending business with news cameras. Usually, the company helps the person with the problem because they don't want the negative press.
I like that idea. Hit them where it hurts.
Old 03-20-05, 07:31 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Well guys thanks for the support .
I took it back to my boy'd shop and he and his friend are going to take care of me in suck a good way I really owe them. I dont know what I am going to do abou the shop that paint ed it last year, right now I am just so relieved that my boy is going to help me out and assured me the car would look perfect when done. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 03-20-05, 01:22 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never are the words "caveat emptor" more applicable than when it comes to body & paint shops. It seems anyone with a compressor and spray gun gets into this business and cheats people out of their money on work that cuts so many corners it goes in circles.

Having a background in auto painting and body work, and CONSTANTLY hearing stories like this, I am AMAZED these people can stay in business. One young guy I know got screwed on a horrific paint job on his Lincoln Mark VIII just last week - the paint was chipping the DAY he picked it up! ...just from bugs and such hitting it.and they didn't spray enough clear on parts of the car.

Too many are just degreasing and spraying without scuffing and correctly prepping the surface prior to painting. Too many want fast $$$ and don't seem to take ANY pride in their work. If all the work they do is shoddy, how are they getting new and returning customers? My only guess is the "new" customers are just plonking down their $$$ and car to the 1st shop they see, or they're so amenable to low price they forget to ask questions or glean info on the way the work is done.

It's our job to do our best to warn others of these places of business.

For those looking for a shop, do your homework. Call the BBB, and your car insurance company. They deal with many of them. Get a FEW recommendations, and not just from friends unless you KNOW their paint was done right. Go to car shows and ask who did the paintwork on show cars you see. Ask the owners if their experience was a good one. Dig, dig, dig. Talk warrantees and get it in writing before you leave them your car..

I have painted quite a few cars in my 47 years, and many many body parts (I had to repaint my wife's Miata rear bumper 2 weeks ago from someone damaging it in a parking lot hit & run) and I can't fathom the poor work I see FROM SUPPOSED PROS.

If I can paint show quality in my own garage with old equipment, I don't understand why even "low end" people in the business can't. Some can I guess, they evidently don't want to take the time to "do it right". Time is money and money seems to be their only motivator. Which leads me to saying you should pay with a credit card if you can, because at least you'll have some recourse in the event you have a dispute with the work afterward, that the CC company can possibly intervene to resolve it for you. No guarantees there, but it's a better shot than paying cash.

Forgive this rant, but I'm sorry some of you had to go through this. I have heard so much similar over the years, it's frustrating that it can't be easier. We need to take control of the situation and avoid it happening in the future. Please take my tips to heart and when you find a GOOD shop that does it right, and LISTENS to the customer, as well as explains everything, then the word on those shops needs to be spread around. I have no problem if some of you want to post about GOOD and BAD shop experiences on the Detailing Forum. That way, people can always do a search and see if a "good" shop turns up in their area.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 03-20-05, 03:44 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Never are the words "caveat emptor" more applicable than when it comes to body & paint shops. It seems anyone with a compressor and spray gun gets into this business and cheats people out of their money on work that cuts so many corners it goes in circles.

Having a background in auto painting and body work, and CONSTANTLY hearing stories like this, I am AMAZED these people can stay in business. One young guy I know got screwed on a horrific paint job on his Lincoln Mark VIII just last week - the paint was chipping the DAY he picked it up! ...just from bugs and such hitting it.and they didn't spray enough clear on parts of the car.

Too many are just degreasing and spraying without scuffing and correctly prepping the surface prior to painting. Too many want fast $$$ and don't seem to take ANY pride in their work. If all the work they do is shoddy, how are they getting new and returning customers? My only guess is the "new" customers are just plonking down their $$$ and car to the 1st shop they see, or they're so amenable to low price they forget to ask questions or glean info on the way the work is done.

It's our job to do our best to warn others of these places of business.

For those looking for a shop, do your homework. Call the BBB, and your car insurance company. They deal with many of them. Get a FEW recommendations, and not just from friends unless you KNOW their paint was done right. Go to car shows and ask who did the paintwork on show cars you see. Ask the owners if their experience was a good one. Dig, dig, dig. Talk warrantees and get it in writing before you leave them your car..

I have painted quite a few cars in my 47 years, and many many body parts (I had to repaint my wife's Miata rear bumper 2 weeks ago from someone damaging it in a parking lot hit & run) and I can't fathom the poor work I see FROM SUPPOSED PROS.

If I can paint show quality in my own garage with old equipment, I don't understand why even "low end" people in the business can't. Some can I guess, they evidently don't want to take the time to "do it right". Time is money and money seems to be their only motivator. Which leads me to saying you should pay with a credit card if you can, because at least you'll have some recourse in the event you have a dispute with the work afterward, that the CC company can possibly intervene to resolve it for you. No guarantees there, but it's a better shot than paying cash.

Forgive this rant, but I'm sorry some of you had to go through this. I have heard so much similar over the years, it's frustrating that it can't be easier. We need to take control of the situation and avoid it happening in the future. Please take my tips to heart and when you find a GOOD shop that does it right, and LISTENS to the customer, as well as explains everything, then the word on those shops needs to be spread around. I have no problem if some of you want to post about GOOD and BAD shop experiences on the Detailing Forum. That way, people can always do a search and see if a "good" shop turns up in their area.

Forewarned is forearmed.

this is why your a mod

great ino

sending you down a couple of bumpers to be painted lol

love that last line Dan

thats my new sig

have any recomendations for NJ bodyshops

Quick Reply: Some awful news about the car...