GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any issues with using belt sander to shave fender?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 06:34 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Any issues with using belt sander to shave fender?

Just put on my iForged 19"s with 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear = Fat Setup. The rears are rubbing, no great surprise, I think the offset is too low. I read all the "fender rubbing" posts, thanks. The only question I have is whether there are any issues when using the belt sander to shave the rear fender lip. RMMGS4 mentioned that there might be. I've never used a belt sander before, but I've very mechanically inclined, and wondering whether there's anything I need to watch out for. ???
Advice appreciated.
Old 03-19-05, 07:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YO

Don't sand on the same spot on the belt. Move across the face of the belt back and forth to wear it out evenly. If you wear a groove in the belt down the center, change the belt with a new one before you cut through. This is critical, cause if you cut through there's a chance that the belt will split in two or shred apart. The effect can be like a truck tire exploding going 60mph. The problem is not so much being injured, it's the paper pieces that stay attached can slap against the paint before you get a chance to react. This is why for precautionary measures, I'd recommend putting a double layer of duct tape on the painted outside surface of the fender. You might put the first layer of masking tape before applying duct tape, cause the adhesive from the duct tape will stay on the paint when you remove it.

Look at pics of the sanding from the old threads. I keep the sander at a 45 degree angle on the inside of the wheel well. Grab a small stool or something to sit on cause you'll get tired holding the sander after a while.

If you are ambitious and want to cut through quickly, use 50 grit sandpaper. If you wanna gain some practice first, then start with 80 or 100 grit.

If you do 100 grit, you could be there for a very long time as Rominl found out at 1am doing his fenders at my house, with no store open to buy 80 grit.

Use some safety glasses since the fine metal particles will be aimed right at you.

I also use a piece of tape on the lip as a guide of how much to take off. It's not easy to eyeball it without the tape and you can cut crooked if you dion't have it as a guide.

Take a look at the "INDGOGRL" "My IS Story" Page #11 thread where I had more shots of the taping process.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=story

On INDGOGRL's car I painted the edge with rust inhibiting paint and then put a strip of black plastic door edge guard for a finished look.

Good Luck

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-20-05 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-19-05, 07:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I learned from RMMGS4 and jawnthen.

I think RMMGS4 covered the important issues. I only did this when I was at jawnthen's house. Since then, I've had to fine tune with a bit more shaving. I used an angle grinder though. I bought this (after the belt sander session) for some work on the house and found it easier and more precise. It does spit out debris at somewhat high velocity. Because of this, to CYA, all the taping RMMGS4 talked about still applies. If you use it in the right direction, though, the debris will fly into the wheel well so it is not so bad.

Obviously, safety goggles are a must.
Old 03-19-05, 07:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Beautiful - thanks so much for the replies. I just got back from Home Cheapo and bought an 18" belt sander AND an angle grinder, along with 50 and 80 grit belts, so I guess I'm ready to go. I'll be doing it tomorrow morning. Can't drive the car unless I fix it or I swap rear wheels again.
Thanks!!!
Old 03-19-05, 08:11 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Beautiful - thanks so much for the replies. I just got back from Home Cheapo and bought an 18" belt sander AND an angle grinder, along with 50 and 80 grit belts, so I guess I'm ready to go. I'll be doing it tomorrow morning. Can't drive the car unless I fix it or I swap rear wheels again.
Thanks!!!
LOL. Those wheels are getting mounted one way or another.
Old 03-19-05, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

good luck on doing it. i also got mine done with the help from rmmgs4, he's a great great guy.

as long as you do all the protection to yourseld and the rear fender, you are good to go
Old 03-20-05, 09:14 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Neo
LOL. Those wheels are getting mounted one way or another.
Those wheels are staying on the car if I have to take the fenders off and leave them off. Heh Heh.
Old 03-20-05, 07:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Got one side done today, but had to quit due to NJ rains. Nothing like using electrical equipment in the rain. Left side is now free of hitting, amazing how just 1/4" makes all the difference. Have to do the same on right once the rain clears. I used a combination of belt sander and angle grinder, alternately. Seemed like the 50 grit belt sander took material off faster, but the grinder smoothed it out better. I used Permatex rust preventive on the bare edge.
Old 03-20-05, 07:52 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you should have gone with the 30 series tires instead of the 35's, 265 30's actually should get the job done.
Old 03-20-05, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah if you wanna do it fast, just get 50 grid, that's fast. when you are almost done, just change to say 150 and get it smooth
Old 03-21-05, 04:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I learn something new everrry day here.
Not like I'm ever going to shave my fenders
Old 03-21-05, 05:09 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by b1gredek
maybe you should have gone with the 30 series tires instead of the 35's, 265 30's actually should get the job done.
275/30's are OK as well, but since I'm in New Jersey and the roads are pretty beaten up here, I went with a bit more meat to prevent excessive jarring. Fills out the wheel well nicely too.

Finished the job today. Got a couple of grittier belts (50 grit but not aluminum oxide) for the sander that took material off a lot quicker, so the second side only took me about a half hour. Problem cured. I must say it was fun getting my forehead beaten up by sparking debris from the angle grinder.
Old 03-21-05, 05:17 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I must say it was fun getting my forehead beaten up by sparking debris from the angle grinder.
I wear a hat, safety goggles, and one of those dental masks. The maske only provide minimal protection but still better than nothing.
Old 03-21-05, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
I wear a hat, safety goggles, and one of those dental masks. The maske only provide minimal protection but still better than nothing.
yeah for sure you need some protections, especially on the eyes. it's no fun if you get hit by those stuff.....
Old 03-21-05, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I learn something new everrry day here.
Not like I'm ever going to shave my fenders
haha if you ever want the kind of wheels setup you have in the sig, you need that

Quick Reply: Any issues with using belt sander to shave fender?