GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinion needed -- GS400 v. GS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05 | 04:48 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Default Opinion needed -- GS400 v. GS430

Okay guys. As many of you know, I recently sold my 98 GS400 because it was getting up in the miles and because it was missing several options that were important to me. I hope to replace it with another GS4x0 in the coming weeks.

In your opinion, does it make sense to get another GS400 simply because I like alpine silver? In other words, assuming I can find a low mile 98-99 GS400 in alpine silver with black interior with HIDs, Nakamichi, 17s and stock spoiler (and that's a HUGE assumption), is it worth holding out for the car for a while as opposed to going for a low mile 01+ GS430 in millenium silver with the Levinson/Nav, 17s and stock spoiler? I know it's a personal question, but I like alpine silver much more than millenium silver and I'm afraid I might not be happy with millenium. Is there anyone out there who has gone from a 98-99 alpine silver to an 00+ millenium silver?

On a related note, perhaps I should go with an 01+ GS430 and just pick a different color altogether. I would get black, but I'm afraid I just won't be able to deal with the marks, swirls, etc. Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts.

e-man
Old 03-20-05 | 04:58 PM
Neo
The One

You will need to decide on the Alpine vs Millenium vs another color issue. It is so personal that you will be the only one to decide.

As for which, the only reason I can see in getting a pre-01 is the e-shift. If you don't care about that, then the GS430 is a no brainer decision for me.
Old 03-20-05 | 05:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'd personally go for a 2001 / 2002 GS430. You'll get used to the new silver. If you won't miss the e-shift the other little niceties (improved Nav, etc) make up for it.

I know you know most of the differences yourself, but I have these links saved up for our FAQ that we'll eventually get around to pushing out. It's a search for GS400 vs GS430.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...430+difference
Old 03-20-05 | 05:42 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

you know I'm biased e. honestly though, I think most people can't even tell the difference between Alpine and MSM.
Old 03-20-05 | 05:53 PM
kazam
Driver

Eman, how are you? I'm sure you know me by now. I actually had my car listed in Autotrader but rescinded the offer after realizing what a dumb mistake I was about to make. Anyway, like me, I believe you live in the chicagland area. And even though I own a GS, from time to time I like to do a Autotrader GS search(I'm sure some of you do the same) just to see whats out there. My recent 98-99 (Chicago) 75 mile radius search came up with only 4 silver GS400'S. And guess what? I came across your ad. You had a nice looking GS. Anyway, forget about it. The GS search resulted in either very high mileage(162K) or those dinky 16" wheels and light colored interior. IMO, I would contact someone @ Bentley Luxury Motors. They get GS400's all the time. Sorry I couldn't give you mine, It would have been perfect for you.

Let me know if you want a contact for Bentley?
Old 03-20-05 | 06:55 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
You will need to decide on the Alpine vs Millenium vs another color issue. It is so personal that you will be the only one to decide.

As for which, the only reason I can see in getting a pre-01 is the e-shift. If you don't care about that, then the GS430 is a no brainer decision for me.
Nah. I don't care about the e-shift. I had it, used it the first week I had the car, and never used it again. I'm just hung up on alpine silver. So Neo, you're thinking that the upsides to the GS430 outweigh my personal preference for (really an obsession with) alpine silver?

e
Old 03-20-05 | 07:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kazam
Eman, how are you? I'm sure you know me by now. I actually had my car listed in Autotrader but rescinded the offer after realizing what a dumb mistake I was about to make. Anyway, like me, I believe you live in the chicagland area. And even though I own a GS, from time to time I like to do a Autotrader GS search(I'm sure some of you do the same) just to see whats out there. My recent 98-99 (Chicago) 75 mile radius search came up with only 4 silver GS400'S. And guess what? I came across your ad. You had a nice looking GS. Anyway, forget about it. The GS search resulted in either very high mileage(162K) or those dinky 16" wheels and light colored interior. IMO, I would contact someone @ Bentley Luxury Motors. They get GS400's all the time. Sorry I couldn't give you mine, It would have been perfect for you.

Let me know if you want a contact for Bentley?
Yeah, I know you alright. I called you twice, and had a friend call you, before I found your original thread on CL that you were selling your car (and then we exchanged e-mails -- by the way, I'm still waiting for those pix ). To be honest, if I had your car, I wouldn't have sold it either. But mine definitely fell a few steps short of yours, and I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I really should take that Autotrader ad down.

Anyway, I know all about Bentley/Luxury Motors. They're right down the street from my office. From what I understand, their monthly volume is huge. However, they have also pissed off quite a few people (do a search on Yahoo). I suppose there will always be dissatisfied customers, but I get the feeling that there's something more to it than that. I had a friend who went over there a few months ago and he was virtually attacked by salespeople. They insisted on taking his car and parking it for him, and, then they conveniently lost the keys while giving him the hard sell so he couldn't leave (that's gotta be the oldest trick in the book). Anyway, keep your eyes/ears open for me. The only thing preventing me from going and buying an 01/02 GS430 is the alpine/millenium issue. Most people can't tell the difference, but to me, it's like night and day. Hey, maybe one of these days I can check out your car. Let me know if you're ever in Oak Brook during the week.

e
Old 03-20-05 | 07:26 PM
kazam
Driver

Bad news from Bentley Motors huh? Well, I never said I liked them. Actually, I only purchased my GS from them because of their volume. IMO, Luxury Motors is the automobile version of Boiler Room. By the way, how do I know if my GS is an alpine? Was millenium avail in 99? Never really thought about that? I will let you know via email when I'm in the Oakbrook area. I frequently visit the Clubhouse.

Last edited by kazam; 03-20-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-20-05 | 07:41 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
you know I'm biased e. honestly though, I think most people can't even tell the difference between Alpine and MSM.
In the end, you're probably right and I should just stop obsessing about it. My obsession with color is similar to your obsession with . . . .
Old 03-20-05 | 07:42 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kazam
Bad news from Bentley Motors huh? Well, I never said I liked them. Actually, I only purchased my GS from them because of their volume. IMO, Luxury Motors is the automobile version of Boiler Room. By the way, how do I know if my GS is an alpine? Was millenium avail in 99? Never really thought about that? I will let you know via email when I'm in the Oakbrook area. I frequently visit the Clubhouse.
Alpine silver was the silver in 98-99. In 00, it changed to millenium silver.
Old 03-20-05 | 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

e man, you already know my take on the two cars, so i am not going to type them again here. just make sure you count my vote
Old 03-20-05 | 11:40 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by e-man
So Neo, you're thinking that the upsides to the GS430 outweigh my personal preference for (really an obsession with) alpine silver?
In a word, YES.

I do see the difference between the two silvers but I think you can get used to it. After seeing it and living with it, I think you will be fine with it. I know I would. Ultimately, though, it's still your call.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-05 | 01:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Neo
In a word, YES.

I do see the difference between the two silvers but I think you can get used to it. After seeing it and living with it, I think you will be fine with it. I know I would. Ultimately, though, it's still your call.

Good luck.
i have to agree, if you put the two cars side to side, i think i will still point at the alpine silver any day. but once you own the mill silver you will get used to it

honestly, i have seen lxogood's gs3 so many times, i don't feel uncomfortable
Old 03-21-05 | 02:08 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

E-MAN my bud is selling his 2001 GS 430 with 44k on it with every option's on it for $30. He lives in the Naperville area let me know if you want so more info?