GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which car would you choose if handed the keys
2005 GTO
14.44%
Lexus Gs400/430
85.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus Gs400/430 or 2005 Pontiac GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 12:27 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a dealer in PA had the GTO's special priced at $199/mo for a 2 yr lease with like $4k down a lil while back

was contemplating driving to PA with my pops so he could drive my GS4 back and I had planned on makin it my beater....

havin two cars and payin two ins bills (I could only imagine how much ins would be on that goat) didnt do it for me tho....
Old 03-25-05, 12:32 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
it was probably last year's model with "only" 350 hp. too bad it's a crappy pontiac. this is how lex should make the SC. 400hp and 6sp mt
That's what I'm talking about !!!!! "400hp/ 6spd SC" !!!!!

JAY
Old 03-25-05, 07:20 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

It depends on what you are looking for, if you want to race and "show off", I would go with the GTO. II have had a 99 corvette 400hp upgraded. 1998 acura nsx 400hp (everything on earth that can be done done to it). I just got a 2002 gs430. I sit in that thing and I love it, very comfortable and very luxious (spelling) I spend most of my time in the car and when I look around I don't see 1 thing wrong, every part of that car is nice to touch, the steering wheel even the side of the doors to lay my arm on it while crusing. The GTO has the same cheap plastic stuff found in grand ams and grand prix. Anyway what I am getting at is, the 98 nsx goes 0 to 60 in like 4.0-4.2 or so and 12.2 in the quatermile. I never had it over 5K rpm (redline at 8K) and never over 100mph. It is the harshest ridiing thing on earth 2-3 times worse then a corvette. The gto won't ride as well as the GS. The GS to me satisfies me in terms of interior quality, speed ( I floored the thing going 60 and in like 3 sec hit 100 or 105 or something and passed someone up on a 2 lane road to get ahead of them). The ride is great. The only complaint is that thing is quiet as hell, you hit the gas and you don't hear anything almost. That can be fixed though.
So in conclusion: If you want to buy a car and not spend money on extra mods and speed is a little important to you then go with the GTO. The GS is expensive as hell to upgrade. I spent like $7K this month and maybe 33% done. The only thing you need with the GTO may be a bodykit then add your music if any don't think you want too good of wheels on a race car thing. Not sure if that helps or not. I was considering a 04 GTO for $23K new almost but I remember how cheap looking the interior is and said Oh hell no. Most people don't drive 30-40K miles a year and almost live in the car, I personally thing the GTO is more fun to drive then the GS but to me the GS is fun enough to drive.
Old 03-25-05, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Well, IMO, I can see the comparo. The GS is a beast with its 300hp but includes the luxury of Lexus. The GTO has 350 and now 400hp without most of the luxury but guys, the interior is not bad at all, one of the best GM has to offer. The interior is quite good to me. Of course it doesn't have all the luxurious, optiron guages, heck a sunroof but it does offer red or yellow or even blue leather seats.

The car is a beast to drive. Its fun fun fun with the manual. To get a auto GTO is a sin, might as well get a GS.

I do agree, the styling is very bland. Its based on the old Opel, remember the Catera? Its basically a 2-door styled Catera. It only took 24 million to develop. But you can import Holden or Vauxhall kits that would help.

Overall the GS has the total package but if you want more performance with a manual, the GTO is a great buy, especially since its selling slow.
Old 04-13-05, 12:50 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm... Pontiac.... Lexus

LEXUS. Nuff said.
Old 04-13-05, 01:40 AM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

I thought that was quite a riot as well comparing a Pontiac economy performance car with a very high end luxury sedan from Lexus. I'd actually love to see the insurance rates for the late teen and early 20's demographic that want a GTO. The two cars aren't even in the same class so it's a stupid comparrison. An RX7 (my favorite car) would rip a GTO apart on a track regardless of HP, silly to compare the two since they're in a different class but that's why it's silly to be talking about a GS and GTO in the same breath. You need to be comparing a GTO to an Accord or something.
Old 04-13-05, 11:02 AM
nicknace
Driver

Default I own both

Actually, a 2002 TransAm WS6 and a 98 GS 400. And...

I'm about to sell the TransAm.

The rear wheel HP/TQ figures of the GTO with headers and high-flow cats is close to identical to my T/A's corrected dyno numbers, with a few bolt-on mods and stock exhaust (at 500 lbs lighter than the GTO). The body is solid and the only thing that rattles sometimes is the T-Tops, with a stiffer aftermarket suspension, after 50,000 miles. I loved that TransAM. It is fast, and uniquely styled. But...

The Lexus has spoiled me and I no longer enjoy driving the Pontiac. The Lexus feels smaller and more nimble (though in reality it is neither), handles nearly as well feels fast. The steering and brakes are a world above the Pontiac.

The Lexus sunroof pops and creaks and is nearly as annoying as the Pontiac T-top rattle. To me, the issue is reliability and driving enjoyment, so that is why I am selling the TA.
Old 04-13-05, 06:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

GS 400 all the way. I've had american cars now for 10 years and serlously they don't last. There re-sale is terrible like someone else said earlier.. Do a search on a pontiac and a lexus 5 years back and see what has the higher resale value... Yea the GTO may be faster but its ugly as hell.
looks like a strectched out pontiac GT if you ask me....

No matter what GS you have you know your drivin in class all the way when it comes to Lexus..
Old 04-13-05, 06:20 PM
nicknace
Driver

Default I'm surprised...

that noone mentioned the Chrysler 300 SRT-8. 425 hp for 40k, 4 doors, and huge aftermarket tuning options. Much heavier, but the GS is porking up too, isn't it?
Old 04-14-05, 09:54 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

I'll stay with the Lexus. I enjoy a car that the most noise it produces is from the tires. If I want to play, I just crank up my SCCA Legal B/Production street legal race car (1965 GT-350 Shelby Mustang). That car doesn't even have a radio, it's so loud inside that you wouldn't be able to hear it anyway.
Old 04-14-05, 05:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
to the power of the 05 GTO
to the plain jane design

The GTO gets 0 attention.

I would hold out for the re-release of the Camaro or Firebird with the same engine and HP and styling.
You know a GTO owned by one of us modders won't be ignored. No fast car with 19 in staggered wheels with insane lip could be ignored. That's what I would do if I had one.
I'm not saying I would choose the GTO, I'm saying it wouldn't look plain if I had one.
Old 04-15-05, 04:36 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
to the power of the 05 GTO
to the plain jane design

The GTO gets 0 attention.

I would hold out for the re-release of the Camaro or Firebird with the same engine and HP and styling.

For what it is worth, GM just announced the death of the "next" Camaro platform. I really don't understand what the hell GM is doing. Somebody needs to hit upper mgmt with a big macheti. (sp?)

Anyway, I'd take the Lexus over the GTO. The drivetrain is awesome indeed, but, like a hitting up the same hooker over and over, it gets old after a while and you start wanting some class with your speed.

A GS with the known good mods of Torque converter, rear-end and SRT intake/ECU, etc, would make me happier than a GTO with a kit.