GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help runing Underbody LED's to Dome??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05 | 06:57 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Default Need some help runing Underbody LED's to Dome??

OK well before I start hacking stuff up I thought that the guys who have an Idea how or have done so can chip in to this will help alot. There are 2 ways that Im thinking of doing it let me know which way to go. Pic's will help.

This is how I was thinking I just dont know how to get into the cabin from the engine bay then up the roof liner to the dome light. Let me know please

The LED are on a metal track whats the best way to mount it to the L tuned sideskirts what size screws and what kind. How many?

Old 03-21-05 | 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

from engine bay to cabin, you can just use the factory pass through on both sides of teh firewall, unless you have TONS of wires to run

to get to the dome like, you can just take out the a pillar and run the wires from inside, and then goes along the front of the roof?
Old 03-21-05 | 09:14 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

hm, hope you dont have side airbags.
Old 03-21-05 | 09:17 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
hm, hope you dont have side airbags.
Thats the problem I do I didnt want to dig into them?? Any Idea's?
Old 03-21-05 | 09:24 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

then run it the long way around. go in through the rubber grommets leading under your dash, from there run under the sides to get to the rear. run from the rearseats up the rear C pillars, into the headliner and then go all the way to the domelight. have fun with that.

Or you could just tap to your under dash lights. or the lights in the door.
Old 03-21-05 | 09:30 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
then run it the long way around. go in through the rubber grommets leading under your dash, from there run under the sides to get to the rear. run from the rearseats up the rear C pillars, into the headliner and then go all the way to the domelight. have fun with that.

Or you could just tap to your under dash lights. or the lights in the door.

LoL Im thinking I'll tap into the lights under the dash. Thx I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-05 | 09:34 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

NP, which LED kit you go with?
Old 03-21-05 | 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
LoL Im thinking I'll tap into the lights under the dash. Thx I'll let you know how it goes.
damn i didnt' know you have 430, sorry
Old 03-21-05 | 10:19 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Thats all good I like the idea of the Under dash lights better ( Less stuff for me to mess up ) Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how to run the wire Safly around (inside) the wheel well. then get into the car then into the under dash light.

As you can tell IM a noob LoL. Also what type of screws go into the side skirts?
Old 03-21-05 | 11:46 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

mmmm dunno about putting the directly into the sideskirts. I put mine further in. dont want the bars to be visible when theyre lit. that makes them look funny, but also makes them illegal.
Old 03-21-05 | 11:53 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Nah you wont be able to see the lights there inside the sideskirts I was talking about wireing them to the lights under you dash.
Old 03-22-05 | 06:23 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

why do u want to run it to ur dome light now? the dome light runs from a fuse somewhere so i dont know if those LEDs will take too much juice b/c u are running them on both sides of the car right?

simpliest idea is to run it to ur footwell light (thats what i did) i turns on when u unarm the car, open the door, and fades when u arm or close the door. now if u want to have all that AND a switch the best looking way IMO is to run a parallel switch from the footwell light.
Old 03-22-05 | 11:24 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshoowa
why do u want to run it to ur dome light now? the dome light runs from a fuse somewhere so i dont know if those LEDs will take too much juice b/c u are running them on both sides of the car right?

simpliest idea is to run it to ur footwell light (thats what i did) i turns on when u unarm the car, open the door, and fades when u arm or close the door. now if u want to have all that AND a switch the best looking way IMO is to run a parallel switch from the footwell light.
IC thats a good idea did you run the wires to the engine bay then into the car or did you drill right into the car?
Old 03-22-05 | 11:44 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

I ran mines to my dome light.....your option 2 (in red).

My LEDs system is 12 volts...i believe the voltage is the same for the interior lights throughout the GS.

Pete
Old 03-22-05 | 11:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by PHML
I ran mines to my dome light.....your option 2 (in red).

My LEDs system is 12 volts...i believe the voltage is the same for the interior lights throughout the GS.

Pete
How did you get your wire from under the car into the cabin? Through the engine and then the firewall?

Quick Reply: Need some help runing Underbody LED's to Dome??