GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Something wierd happened with acceleration with my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 03:12 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something wierd happened with acceleration with my GS400

Hey guys i was pulling out of a parking lot and onto a main road i was in manual mode in my gs400 and the gear i put was on 2. When i hit the gas i was going about 3 miles hit the gas a lil then slowed back down and then i pressed the gas pretty hard maybe half way and the car seemed like it was in a high gear and it didnt jump it felt slow. Do i have a problem or just something that happened? Let me know guys
Old 03-22-05, 06:01 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. It seems like the tps may be messed up. When I wot the car, it revs slowly as ****, and then 5 secs later, it hauls ***.

Last edited by mikevanle; 03-22-05 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 06:10 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I guess sometime it takes time for it to downshift. after it happened i hit the gas and it flew. It was just that second i have no clue why. But i dont think we have a problem just a design problem??
Old 03-22-05, 06:16 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls430
I guess sometime it takes time for it to downshift. after it happened i hit the gas and it flew. It was just that second i have no clue why. But i dont think we have a problem just a design problem??
maybe the ecu was temporarily confused. I'd reset the ecu and hope it doesn't happen again.
otherwise maybe tps?
Old 03-22-05, 07:55 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

I think every GS400 owner in the world should simultaneously switch the ECT button to power, and leave it there. Your tranny will downshift much quicker (yes, even in manual mode)... and no, you shouldn't see a significant change in mileage. My theory, is that if you constantly have to press the gas harder than normal to get the blasted tranny to downshift, and accelerate- you're wasting gas. It all evens out in the end. I only drive in power mode, and have noticed absolutely no change in mileage, but 100% improvement in performance. Especially that dreaded pause that used to haunt me when I would be in like 3rd gear, and would hit the gas.
Old 03-22-05, 08:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i think it's just the computer shifting to lower gears that's all

maybe you should do a tranny flush if you haevnt' done so, that helps on the shifting
Old 03-22-05, 10:18 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Actually, had similar experience in my 99 LX two weeks back. It did not happen all the time, but there were a couple times where I was ready to pull into traffic and I hit the gas [moderately] and nothing happened. Pressed the pedal to the floor and it barely moved. This behavior was intermittant and the LX often acted normally after a few moments.

Went to the dealer and described the problem. Sure enough, the TPS was bad - was replaced under warranty.
Old 03-23-05, 04:11 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys what is the meaning of TPS? The car moved but it didnt feel like it had 300 hp. After it happened i was on the road and i hit the gas and the car jumped wiht tons of power it was just that second when the car felt like it had 175hp.
Old 03-23-05, 04:22 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

How can i reset the ecu? It was a weird thing and im kind of worried. When i hit the gas it accelarated slowly and it lasted for like 30 feet then i let go of the gas because of a stop light.
Old 03-23-05, 04:46 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

To reset the ECU simply unplug the battery terminals and let it sit for 20 mins or so. IF I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I used to use this method on my 98 Ford Taurus SHO and it worked perfectly.

To make sure all the juice is drained out of the electrical system, just hop in the car and hit the brakes 2 or 3 times. That should use the remaining power once the battery is disconnected.

Off Topic, Where in RI do you live?

-Fernando
Old 03-23-05, 05:05 AM
Bratik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HD-GS4
I think every GS400 owner in the world should simultaneously switch the ECT button to power, and leave it there. Your tranny will downshift much quicker (yes, even in manual mode)... and no, you shouldn't see a significant change in mileage. My theory, is that if you constantly have to press the gas harder than normal to get the blasted tranny to downshift, and accelerate- you're wasting gas. It all evens out in the end. I only drive in power mode, and have noticed absolutely no change in mileage, but 100% improvement in performance. Especially that dreaded pause that used to haunt me when I would be in like 3rd gear, and would hit the gas.
I tried to have ECT on for entire fill up and the difference in power is amassing. However gas millage dropped a lot. Without ECT I could go for 300 miles and with ECT on i could only make it 220. With a prices of $2.25 per gallon I keep this button Off.
Old 03-23-05, 05:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DjFergi
To reset the ECU simply unplug the battery terminals and let it sit for 20 mins or so. IF I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I used to use this method on my 98 Ford Taurus SHO and it worked perfectly.

To make sure all the juice is drained out of the electrical system, just hop in the car and hit the brakes 2 or 3 times. That should use the remaining power once the battery is disconnected.

Off Topic, Where in RI do you live?

-Fernando
or you can just remove the ecuB fuse under hood on passenger side and leave it out for 20-30 minutes
Old 03-23-05, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Hey guys what is the meaning of TPS? The car moved but it didnt feel like it had 300 hp. After it happened i was on the road and i hit the gas and the car jumped wiht tons of power it was just that second when the car felt like it had 175hp.
i was asking the same question yesterday and someone told me it might means throttle position sensor. i am not sure if that's the case, or if so, then whether it can go bad and how it might go bad though
Old 03-23-05, 10:07 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

TPS does stand for Throttle Position Sensor. I had to replace one on my Taurus SHO. They can defintely go bad, I'm just not sure how. It was one of those things that was a process of elimination. Trry replacing this then that. It is an expensive part.

Hope that helps.

-Fernando

Originally Posted by rominl
i was asking the same question yesterday and someone told me it might means throttle position sensor. i am not sure if that's the case, or if so, then whether it can go bad and how it might go bad though
Old 03-23-05, 01:31 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I live in Lincoln how about you? Ok guys ill try reseting the ecu i dont think i have a tps problem because after that the car ran beautifully.

Quick Reply: Something wierd happened with acceleration with my GS400