GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

45k-mile service fee

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 09:24 PM
undee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45k-mile service fee

Hey guys,

I am just wondering how much did you pay for your 45k-mile maintenance??

Thanks
Old 03-25-05, 05:06 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$400 at Lexus dealer by me
Old 03-25-05, 07:54 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Be sure to tell them that you want the "regular duty" service, NOT the service specified for "Special Operating Conditions" (unless, of course, you're driving habits fit those specifications). Marked difference in your bill. You can see the difference in what is done by looking in the Owner's Manual Supplement, which details those services that are performed at the various intervals.
Old 03-25-05, 08:15 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Be sure to tell them that you want the "regular duty" service, NOT the service specified for "Special Operating Conditions" (unless, of course, you're driving habits fit those specifications). Marked difference in your bill. You can see the difference in what is done by looking in the Owner's Manual Supplement, which details those services that are performed at the various intervals.

I need to get this done as well. How long can i go after hitting 45000 without the service?
Old 03-25-05, 09:56 AM
undee
Driver

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Hmm, I didn't do that. I dropped off my car yesterday, and they told me it's gonna be around $260
Old 03-26-05, 09:00 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Undee, that's not a bad price on 45K; your dealer may not automatically perform the SOC service on every car (mine does).

NesTea, not sure what you mean. Are you asking how long you can delay performing the 45k service, or how long you can go before performing those additional services that are done in the SOC schedule??

I'm not callously suggesting that an owner treat their car irresponsibly knowing that they are trading it in 3 years and so won't ever have to pay the consequences of neglecting maintainence. The deal is that some dealers have figured out that many Lexus owners won't question their (the dealer's) service recommendations, apparently assuming a luxury car needs/gets luxury service. Since the services performed under SOC are so much more extensive, the cost can be 4X or more than the cost of the "regular" duty service. This isn't to say that extra service somehow hurts the car. But I personally feel that the entire engineering staff of Toyota/Lexus is better able to determine the maintenance requirements of the systems that they themselves have designed!!!! Meanwhile, the money rolls in from the service department to the tune of $85/hour/tech!!

So, pick your schedule, but I don't drive my GS as a taxi on dirt roads making repeated trips of less than 5 miles in freezing weather or towing a trailer (for which the car is not approved anyway). So I use the 7500 mile/6 month interval schedule, altho I do change the oil at 5000 miles. The 2001 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement says, on page 86: "You should perform the additional maintainence services if you drive primarily under any of these conditions during the maintenance interval period. If you drive only occasionally under these conditions during the maintenance interval period, it is not necessary to perform the additional services."

I mean, c'mon!!!