GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Does Chrome Tailight Garnish on a Black GS with chrome wheels make it too much chrome
Good for Black
6.25%
Good on Dark colors
0%
Good On white/light colors
0%
Just say NO!
93.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or no to chrome taillight garnish

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 04:20 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes or no to chrome taillight garnish

I haven't seen anyone use any chrome around tailights or headlights, does it make the car look gauky or something? I have a black car, Chrome wheels, going to have the chrome license trunk bar thing if I don't already have it. That is all that is chrome, will adding chrome around the tailights make it too much or they look good the way it is or what do you guys think?

Last edited by Dsmart; 03-26-05 at 04:54 PM. Reason: fixing this won't let me edit the poll
Old 03-26-05, 04:25 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where's the poll choice of "Doesn't look good on any color/car" ???

Old 03-26-05, 04:31 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Didn't want to have a list of 10-15 colors and mostly it is a matter of personal choice like which color do you perfer. My general question was does it look good on the car period or makes it look cheap looking with it on?
Old 03-26-05, 04:33 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dsmart
Didn't want to have a list of 10-15 colors and mostly it is a matter of personal choice like which color do you perfer. My general question was does it look good on the car period or makes it look cheap looking with it on?
that response had nothing to do with my question...heigo my reason for writing it in the first place......

good luck
Old 03-26-05, 04:49 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

should add one more choice on the poll

4. good on no colors

looks tacky and hyundai-ish
Old 03-26-05, 04:49 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not a fan of it on any color...
Old 03-26-05, 04:52 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default What about lextasy tail light lids instead?

I am going to get the DSR carson toyota eye lid things should I get the tail light lids from lextasy or go with chrome trim?
Old 03-26-05, 04:56 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dsmart
I haven't seen anyone use any chrome around tailights or headlights, does it make the car look gauky or something? I have a black car, Chrome wheels, going to have the chrome license trunk bar thing if I don't already have it. That is all that is chrome, will adding chrome around the tailights make it too much or they look good the way it is or what do you guys think?
Yes it looks tacky.

No don't do it. Even if it costs a penny.

Tell me you don't think this looks good Chrome overload. Chrome grill, trunk bar is one thing but this takes it too a whole nother level.
Attached Thumbnails Yes or no to chrome taillight garnish-cpa280030-small-.jpg  
Old 03-26-05, 05:07 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

that looks tacky but I don't think that if you put the trunk eye lid thing on there (same color as the car (not chrome) I am not a fan of that windeflector things on the side(I was going to do that but that looks bad too much stuff in the air) and no sunroof deflector either. But see if you agree on this or what you would change.
For visual enhansment: add chrome lexus grill and trunk bar. Put BLACK DSR front headligh lids on, Then put chrome C and A piller things on (My A pillers are scratched to hell.) and then maybe add the BLACK tailight lids on the back. Let me know and this is for a BLACK GS
Old 03-26-05, 05:10 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

trunk bar and grill are ok if thats what u like,,,,,,,,,,,all the rest is overkill in my opinion, this is stuff people do to hyundai and honda cars
Old 03-26-05, 05:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmart
Yes or no to chrome taillight garnish ?
.................no
Old 03-26-05, 05:18 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

guess I was trying for something different. I don't want someone to pull up to me and the car looks almost the same as mine. I want someone to pull up and not know I am there and people see my car and there car and laugh at that one (but not laugh at me in the process for doing too much). Long story but I was jealous of people in highschool, guys have girls, guy's have money (didn't have money until I was 24, didn't have a car until then either). No I want to kind of get back at people and make them jealous. I know that isn't the right thing to do but I do get a little self satisifaction on that. I am not one of those people that sit there and say how bad this is and that is on your car because I don't hurt people's feelings, but I do like to see someone's mouth drop when they see my car and they have the same and wish it was theirs. I just want to like lets say there is like a group of 100-200 people. Like if you are in houston, people used to meet on Westheimer road on friday's to "show off". I drove the other car in there one day kind of away from everyone else and the ENTIRE group of people went over to see it and I kind of want the same reaction out of this one which is a lot harder to do, or atleast get maybe 20 of those to come see this one.
Old 03-26-05, 05:23 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

nothing wrong in enjoying pride in your car and self satisfaction in your creation,,,,,,,,,just do it in a tasteful way, u keep asking questions and we will help keep u straight, not everyone will always agree but overall u can make up your mind after alot of people offer input, this one however i recommend u leave this mod alone, put that money towards something more eye pleasing and clean looking mod if its attention u desire, maybe look for a nice roof spoiler, or change your grill, better yet post up some pics and we can shoot u some recommendations!!!!!
Old 03-26-05, 05:31 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default thanks for the help bluegs400

I have taken in your advice and people have different taste. I will leave the back lights alone and probably the front lights for light. I like the way the supratrd guy's front looks with those eyelids though although I haven't seen them in person and will wait on that. So I will get the chrome trunk lid and I like the way my front grill looks for right now and might go to chrome later. It might be chrome for all i know it has a lot on there. But I am going to add the chrome A and C piller things well lets try just the C pillers for now, I really like that look with the X on there and maybe adding both A and C might be too much but I like a little color up top. I don't know for the roofspoiler to get the lextasy one or the dsr I think the one carson sells. but $525 is expensive for damn sure. I will post pics of this once the vertex bodykit is installed. I got the wheels on but still looks bland, then will go from there. I personally think that the vertex rear along with the lextasy rear lip with the mesh would look great if it fits but have to see. But thanks for the help/
Old 03-26-05, 05:53 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

To not look like another gs coming up to you....i'm with you- want to be unique.

I like smoked lids. Search in the forum...with 500000 posts- you'll find many.
FRONT
There is also infiniti q45 lights retrofitted- but obviously not cheap.

Eyelids - personally prefer more subtle eyelids than DSR. ("quest"....."carson"......)

DIY grill: chrome/smoked

REAR:
Black bearl emblems/ shave the emblems

different rear wing (CF yeh!)

Cool tint job

All these things are pretty cheap easy, some not fixed DIY- so you'll never be the same again

Quick Reply: Yes or no to chrome taillight garnish