GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taking delivery of GS430 - what to check

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-01, 06:50 AM
c_hatter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...

Tomorrow my wife and I will be picking up our '01 GS430 at Arlington Lexus in Palatine, IL (NW burb of Chicago).

I was wondering if anyone would suggest verifying any particular feature or system of the car known to be problematic. I don't want to drive back to the dealer the next day.

I haven't read of many issues. One gentleman's 430 didn't have transmission fluid in it. Ooops.

I'll post a wrap-up of my purchasing experience at Arlington Lexus, which has been very good up to this point.

We are looking forward to driving this car. And I'm looking forward to modifying it!
Old 06-06-01, 06:57 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Congratulations!!

First, welcome to Club Lexus and congratulations on your upcoming GS 430

I've also got a GS430 on order so I can appreciate how it feels to anticipate picking it up. What color and what options did you get?

There's really nothing I can think of that you need to be concerned with. Most dealers check out their new cars pretty thoroughly before you take delivery. No guarantee you won't have a problem, but....

When I picked up my GS 400 several years ago, I immediately took it on a 600 mile trip from FL to GA. No problems at all. Sure, mine's been in the shop a few times in the last 3 1/2 years, but I've always been treated well and only had to go back a second time on one occasion.

Don't worry, BE HAPPY
Old 06-07-01, 07:17 AM
c_hatter
Driver School Candidate

Marty et. all...

This website is a great resource and I plan on spending a lot of time here in the future, contributing when I can.

The car I'll be picking up today (righteous!) is Black Cherry Pearl w/Black interior and has the Premium package, 17" wheels and wood and leather wrapped steering wheel.

I had an Astrostart 1105 remote starter system installed. I would highly recommend these, especially to those of you who live in colder climes. It's a nice perk!

Price before taxes was $46,600 - acceptable to me. A couple of other salesmen at dealers (Naperville, McGrath - Westmont) I went to wouldn't budge below 48k. A dealer off of LiquidPrice gave me a bid of $47,500.

I'm going to run the Potenzas into the ground and get a set of Yoko AVS db's. I'll try to use these in the winter as I don't intend to venture out into deep snow (unless a blizzard sneaks up on me!)

Future mods will center around increasing acceleration and improving handling while preserving the smooth, quiet ride. I also intend to improve the stereo system.

I'm planning the typical suspension upgrade (springs/shocks/steering ECU) along with a Swift TC and high flow intake. I'm considering improving the exhaust system as well.

I'm really looking forward to this vehicle!

Oh yeah - vanity plates. What do you guys think of "1BADMOFO?" Haha. J/k.
Old 06-07-01, 10:26 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up NICE COLOR

Chris,

once again, congrats....

can you tell me how much was the remote starter? did the dealer installed for you? or did they out sourced it?

if you decides to opt for the bilsteins sport shocks in your susupension upgrades, i can have a set delievred to your door for very good price.

william
Old 06-07-01, 12:09 PM
c_hatter
Driver School Candidate

Will...

The dealer outsourced it. The cost was $495 installed. That's about $100 more (that I've seen) than an independent install 'round these parts. Every place I called hadn't worked on a GS.

The name of the company that manufactures the remote started is Astroflex. The name of the remote starter is Astrostart.

www.astroflex.com

Thanks for the offer on the Bilsteins!
Old 06-07-01, 09:11 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by c_hatter
[B]Marty et. all...

"I had an Astrostart 1105 remote starter system installed. I would highly recommend these, especially to those of you who live in colder climes. It's a nice perk!"

I think I saw your car the other day. The license plate said Mafia 1
Didn't mean to be a Wise Guy