GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine swap... Please advise..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 10:34 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Engine swap... Please advise..

Ok, so I have to drop a new motor in my car... I found one and I have the following Q's..

How will I verify the mileage that is being sold with?
Do I need to do any DMV activity once the new engine is in?
What about the odometer? Can I adjust the counter? I have over 90K, and the new engine has 32k miles. Has anyone done this and has anyone had any issues after the swap?? I am putting in a newer 01+ GS engine.

Thanks for the input.

Rock
Old 03-27-05, 10:43 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Ok, so I have to drop a new motor in my car... I found one and I have the following Q's..

How will I verify the mileage that is being sold with?
Do I need to do any DMV activity once the new engine is in?
What about the odometer? Can I adjust the counter? I have over 90K, and the new engine has 32k miles. Has anyone done this and has anyone had any issues after the swap?? I am putting in a newer 01+ GS engine.

Thanks for the input.

Rock

You won't be able to verify the exact mileage on a used engine.
Adjusting the odometer will be a redflag for your title. I've had engine swaps done to other cars, using the same engine, designated for the car and experienced no problems with the DMV.

Here are DMV answers to your engine change.
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/StdPage...s-Jan_1994.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4161.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc9257.htm

Last edited by rodel; 03-27-05 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 10:56 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default engine

The engine I got is used... So why would they claim to have the mileage #? Everywhere I have called, I have been told it has a specific # of miles. I had never looked into this, so I am learning... So, it's basically their word and that's it? Also, my car is registered in NM, as I am a resident of that state. Is $1200 good for a used engine with supposedly low mileage, very clean complete long block??

Rock
Old 03-27-05, 11:23 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

If your gonna drop a motor, drop a 2jzgte like its hott!
Old 03-28-05, 12:14 AM
rodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexAristo
If your gonna drop a motor, drop a 2jzgte like its hott!
Great idea. You could get a front clip with a 2JZ-GTE. Be prepared for a good amount of down time and a good amount of $$$$$.

Let's see for an overview...you'll need the 2JZ-GTE and ECU, you 'll need the getrag 6 speed tranny and ECU, you'll need a new engine harness, a fuel pump ugrade, exhaust uprade.

By the time you get the car running, you probably would have spent over $10k already, with a "hook-up" labor price.

Since CL members can't do without the bling, you'll probably wanna upgrade to a single turbo, an aftermarket intercooler, so let's add another $5k.

Anyways....as far as the mileage on the engine, you'll just have to believe your source. If you're getting a JDM engine, they usually have about 30k on them. $1200 for a 2J engine seems reasonable. BTW, what happend to your original engine?
Old 03-28-05, 12:17 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default engine

Broken rod or something in the block from an accident. I am sticking to the original 98-04 gs3 engine.

Rock
Old 03-28-05, 12:21 AM
rodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Broken rod or something in the block from an accident. I am sticking to the original 98-04 gs3 engine.

Rock

Sticking with the normally aspirated 2J is a better idea than going with a 2JZ-GTE swap. You won't experience any headaches. So you got the engine for $1200...the labor about $1500?
Old 03-28-05, 12:54 AM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

Odometer reading has nothing to do with the motor as far as any government agency or company is concerned. It reflects the milage on the complete chassis and can't be touched or you're breaking the law, unless it's disclosed. Your car still has 90,000 miles on it, you just replaced the motor at 90k with a used motor. You should really think about a rebuild/inspection while the motor's out of the car.
Old 03-28-05, 01:06 AM
rodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin Wyum
.....You should really think about a rebuild/inspection while the motor's out of the car.
Are you talking about the engine with the broken rod or the used engine?

If you're talking about the used engine...an inspection is a good idea,but with the engine not running, you can't really do anything,just visual inspections. You could pull the head off the block and look at the pistons and cylinder walls. You could drop the oil pan and see what materials are in there, like metal shavings. You could pull the valve covers off and see if the cams are in good shape. The only sure way to find out if you bought a good engine is to install it and drive with it.

If you do a rebuild, it will cost more. The engine needs to be disassembled/reassembled. Plus a rebuild is not a guarantee that you'll have a good engine; many rebuilds are unsuccessful. For example a bad machining process will result in a bad engine.

Last edited by rodel; 03-28-05 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and for the odometer computer, i think it's connected to the dash cluster. so unless you change the guage cluster i don't think the mileage on the car is going to change
Old 03-29-05, 05:26 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Red face engine

I am not considering the rebuilding engine process.. As you point out, it is more expensive on the labor. It seems that the Lexus GS engine is hard to find though. Most places are trying to sell me one from an is300/sportcross. Are they the same?? I was told they are, but they look a bit diferent. Everyone I have talked to swears that it will fit the same way and there will not be any diference. I am also told that it will be harder to find one out of a GS because they are that hard to find, but the is300 being a less expensive car, are more easily obtainable. Anyone know a good source for a used long block 2jzge??? This is proving to be more work than I thought..... I don't want to screw it up... and need to find one fast.... I would guess that the best possible thing would be for me to find one in a car so I can A) verify mileage, and B) hopefully it will run, there by testing on the spot?? Or I should probably find a good mechanic and take him along then ?

Thanks,
Rock.

Old 03-30-05, 11:00 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

from helping my friends buying engines and swap and such.

I've learned couple of things.

1) compression test, if you can somehow turn the engine, its extremely helpful.
2) if compression test is good, and you bought the engine, before drop it in, take the head off, replace head gasket, check cylinder wall for any iregularity (compression test will show that too), check pistons and head, give the head a hot bath to remove residues, and port a little while at it. Its a lot easier to do these things while engine is on a stand than in a car.

as far as mileage, its extremely hard to know EXACT mileage on the car UNLESS the engine was in a front clip with cluster showing the odo. i.e. my buddy has a 96 Jetta TDI, he bought a 02 TDI front clip with odo showing 20k km on it, and swap the engine (it was an eletrical nightmare).
Old 03-30-05, 11:39 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rodel
Great idea. You could get a front clip with a 2JZ-GTE. Be prepared for a good amount of down time and a good amount of $$$$$.

Let's see for an overview...you'll need the 2JZ-GTE and ECU, you 'll need the getrag 6 speed tranny and ECU, you'll need a new engine harness, a fuel pump ugrade, exhaust uprade.

By the time you get the car running, you probably would have spent over $10k already, with a "hook-up" labor price.

Since CL members can't do without the bling, you'll probably wanna upgrade to a single turbo, an aftermarket intercooler, so let's add another $5k.

Anyways....as far as the mileage on the engine, you'll just have to believe your source. If you're getting a JDM engine, they usually have about 30k on them. $1200 for a 2J engine seems reasonable. BTW, what happend to your original engine?
UMMM, no you don't. I did the swap in 6 hrs running and 10 hrs total to get it on the road. I have about 5K in the swap. The car runs great and I drive it almost every day. This swap IS NOT HARD. There just arn't that many people out there willing to do it.

Ben
Old 04-03-05, 04:00 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burton
UMMM, no you don't. I did the swap in 6 hrs running and 10 hrs total to get it on the road. I have about 5K in the swap. The car runs great and I drive it almost every day. This swap IS NOT HARD. There just arn't that many people out there willing to do it.

Ben

Ben, are you willing to do a write up on it for those who dont know where to start?
Intrested in wiring diagrams and what to look out for.
I know that you have to use the Aristo Motor Mounts with it correct? What about ECU and stuff. What did you use?
Old 04-03-05, 04:49 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock, you may want to call our vendor Luxury Motor Works and talk to them about your replacing your engine. They have done many engine swaps and engine rebuilds and just recently did a 2jz-GTE with turbo on an IS300. They may be able to help answer many all your questions...

Talk to Steve
626-256-4849

Ken

Quick Reply: Engine swap... Please advise..