GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hey Friends - new 99 GS purchased - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 09:35 AM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Friends - new 99 GS purchased - opinions please

Hey peeps - just bought a 99' GS off eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Despite the rims having chrome rot and road rash from (hopefully) an older person not knowing how to parrallel park, the car is decent shape not withstanding that it sat on the Dealer's lot for like 6 months? Interior is clean, but no history of Lexus Dealer service since 10K miles which is of course the chance I took for the price I bought it for and the fact that, well, it is a Toyota - right?

With 44,000+ miles on it, I'm wondering what's best to do with the car at this point as in service ideas. I hate getting reamed by the Dealer, but it has a few months before the factory engine/trans. general warranty expires (6-yr power-train factory wrrty). I'm between the 30 and 60 K service intervals. The trans fluid smells a little old, but not burnt or completely rotted yet. Should I just bite the bullet and have the Dealer do the 30K service on it to "catch-it-up" and r&r the trans fluid (not sure if that's part of the 30K service?), or other - any suggestions are appreciated folks! I'm not on a complete budget, just trying not to throw money at the car too much.

The car ran great on its journey home from Philly to Virginia (about 250 mile maiden voyage). When I got home, noticed the air filter was COMPLETELY filthy. Changed it with a K&N drop-in, reset the ecu and battery term. and drove it around a couple of days. Felt a substantial loss of power, so read the posts here and went back with stock Denso air filter for now.

Any help with my situation and this AWESOME car is appreciated. I bought this car due to the great experience I've had with my 93' SC 400.

KF

PS: My STSGUY name should be changed to "Po'd at GM Guy" due to the horrific treatment I've had with my 99 STS with the Dealer here in VA and their extended warranty guideline. Hence, the new GS to replace a well kept 99 STS that is now being sold in disgust for shoddy GM service/craftsmanship.

KF
Old 03-28-05, 09:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

KF,

Congrats on the new GS! I'd personally recommend you drive it and closely observe for a couple of weeks to make notes on anything you have question about / sounds or feels strange.

Then take it to the dealer to make sure it gets recorded in your service history when you get your service done (before your warranty expires).

Edit - oh and PM me if you want your screen name changed.
Old 03-28-05, 10:05 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Condgrads on the purchase and welcome to the club. You will find plenty of useful as well as useless information here
Old 03-28-05, 10:12 AM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default Thanks

Appreciate the new name Dave and for anyone's time in replying with their opinions - good or bad.

KF
Old 03-28-05, 10:14 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VERY NICE car personnaly, i would not be able to rest until i knew that everything was done in terms of maintenance... so i would get it all done. i know it sux to have to drop a bunch of money to maintain this and that, but for your own piece of mind, its worth it. good luck
Old 03-28-05, 10:47 AM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by varcity64
VERY NICE car personnaly, i would not be able to rest until i knew that everything was done in terms of maintenance... so i would get it all done. i know it sux to have to drop a bunch of money to maintain this and that, but for your own piece of mind, its worth it. good luck
...I would concur and further that you should go to the dealer. It's not that much more expensive if at all but it will be worth it if you have an issue, especially under warranty, to have a relationship with the dealership.
Old 03-28-05, 10:57 AM
Ripper
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Varcity. I had no problems when I drove my car back to VA from CT the day I bought it. The only thing that was apparent was that it needed a brake job (she's at Midas getting Lex pads and turned F & R rotors as I type).

With no other problems, I thought that I could skip a thorough dealer exam...but it kept nagging at me. I kept thinking that maybe there is something below the surface about to bubble to the top. Similar to you, I have about 20 months and 29K left on the powertrain warranty. I finally broke down, went to the dealer, got the service history. The car was previously a CPO vehicle but was 10K late for it's 30K service, otherwise it was dealer maintained. I had the 30K done, deferred the $800 brake job to Midas and walked out with peace of mind and $600 less in my wallet. I guess I just needed to know what I had gotten myself into.
Old 03-28-05, 11:00 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome back to the family.

Judging from the pictures, that car is immaculant. It's so clean.

I'd say get everything done. It'll be a stack of money to drop, but you have to get the services done anyways and might as well give it to them to take care of so they can find out what is good and what is not so good. Do it while it's underwarranty so you're covered.
Old 03-28-05, 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congratson the new ride as well

also, i agree with davegs4. drive the car closely and see if you feel anything different / weird, or notice any noise or such. those are the stuff that will take you time to figure out.
Old 03-28-05, 02:47 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to CL

the car looks real clean

another member of the white gang

hope to meet you this summer

dont forget to check out the north or south east forum
Old 03-28-05, 03:57 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats

I'd have dealer change rear diff fluid and trans fluid at the least and ask them to check it out. either flush the radiator yourself or have someone do it and make sure you use the red coolant. oil change is obvious.
Old 03-28-05, 04:58 PM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default Thanks!

THANK YOU FOLKS - YOU ALL ROCK HERE ON CS! I've never felt so welcomed and really appreciate the advice from all of you. I like the approach of having the dealer check it over in general without doing "X" service in particular (unless X service covers what I need), have them do the trans & differential fluids, and let me know what's up in general.

We'll see what they say and I'll report the results for general fyi info. I expect to drop at least 5-700, and that would mean the car is in decent shape like I think that it is, basically taking care of peace-of-mind aspects. Of course always the possibility of a surprise or two, but major eng/trans stuff stuff should be covered. Brakes, rotors suspension "should be in solid shape," I'm just going to have to be firm with the Dealer about talking me into a bunch of unnecessaries as I suspect they will.

Thanks again all.

KF
Old 03-28-05, 08:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Welcome to CL. I personally would not buy a car on e-bay considering all the horror stories and scams but some people claim to get super deals. Did you pay 19,900 for that GS. That does not sound like that great of a deal, especially considering the lack of history of maintenance, bad trans fluids, filthy air filter, scraped rims, and bought off ebay. 12-14 grand would of been a pretty good deal. I would definitely get everything checked out especially transmission and headgasket. Get all fluids flushed and replaced. Good luck with the car.
Old 03-28-05, 09:04 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats man, welcome.....
Old 03-29-05, 05:09 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME

Quick Reply: Hey Friends - new 99 GS purchased - opinions please