GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Average Price and Who should do the work to put a bodykit on

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 05:42 AM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
pics man picsssss
Patience, brother

Only reason I am waiting is that my wheels will be here in about two weeks. As soon as they get here, I'll have them and the coil overs done at the same time. The pics would be a bit boring with the stock 17s and the 4 x 4 gap. On top of that, I am rethinking my front end. I really like the TTE lip, but I am already starting to look at some full bumper replacements. The modding addiction has begun.

Sorry to hijack, D...I know it seems steep, but it would be a nightmare and waste of money to have to redo everything after a body shop did inferior work. Not saying that $1500 guarantees you a top notch job, as you still got to do your research on the shops. You'd be better off letting the kit sit in your garage for a while and save up to get it done proper. Good luck with your decision and I hope everything works out for you.

Jeff
Old 03-29-05, 05:59 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hijack, D...I know it seems steep, but it would be a nightmare and waste of money to have to redo everything after a body shop did inferior work. Not saying that $1500 guarantees you a top notch job, as you still got to do your research on the shops. You'd be better off letting the kit sit in your garage for a while and save up to get it done proper. Good luck with your decision and I hope everything works out for you.
I am a true testament to this, trus tme DO NO I repeat DO NOT skimp on the paint. It is costing me double now because I have to everything redone because some shleps couldn't do it right in the first place.
Old 03-29-05, 03:38 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default Not skipping

I told the dealership (the bodyshop the best in the city) to not skimp charge what you have to to get this done right. This thing has some potential and I am going to see what I can do to it.
Old 03-29-05, 03:39 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

romini: they opened the kit and nothing is broke but they said the edges are very rough and needs lots of work. They said they never seen a prefect body kit before either so we have to see
Old 03-29-05, 03:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know what the labor/paint cost/hours came out to be. It will be an interesting comparison since a few on CL alreafy have the authentic Vertex. Maybe we can compare notes with them on total cost.
Old 03-29-05, 04:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsmart
romini: they opened the kit and nothing is broke but they said the edges are very rough and needs lots of work. They said they never seen a prefect body kit before either so we have to see
yeah definitely keep us posted, would like to see the outcome
Old 02-21-06, 07:31 AM
TeflonGS
Driver

Getting my L-Sportline front bumper, Veilside sides and rear bumper painted and fitted. Was quoted between $800 to $950 from a friend of Dennis (ex-owner of the orange GS).

How much more does molding cost? Figure it would take a lot longer. Maybe I should put it on and then decide?

What is your guys thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-21-06, 08:46 AM
suge66
Pole Position

Damn u guys paid alot. I took the car to the dealer paint shop. They got the code, then i took everything off, took it to them, they painted it and i put it back on myself. I have the tte lip, the l-tuned sides, and r/bumper. I paid 500 to get it all painted. Just took my time installing it. Didnt have any fittment problems, and it came out sweet. Then i took the car back up there, and they buffed it out so it matches the rest of the paint on the car. I'll post pics when i can. I think that is the way u will save money. Do the labor yourself, it isnt hard to pull all that off ,then reinstall either. Just my$ .02
Old 02-21-06, 11:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting painted and put on is like buying 2 body kits
Old 02-21-06, 04:23 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suge66
Damn u guys paid alot. I took the car to the dealer paint shop. They got the code, then i took everything off, took it to them, they painted it and i put it back on myself. I have the tte lip, the l-tuned sides, and r/bumper. I paid 500 to get it all painted. Just took my time installing it. Didnt have any fittment problems, and it came out sweet. Then i took the car back up there, and they buffed it out so it matches the rest of the paint on the car. I'll post pics when i can. I think that is the way u will save money. Do the labor yourself, it isnt hard to pull all that off ,then reinstall either. Just my$ .02

Suge66, although it sounds like your paint job came out alright, I think it's highly recommmended to leave your car at the bodyshop so they can color blend the paint while doing the job. If your car is 3-4-5 years old and they shoot fresh paint on the bodykit, it will not match with the car. I think it's highly recommended that you leave your car with the bodyshop so they can color blend the paint for a better match.

Just a few weeks ago I had my new hood painted & installed. The bodyshop charged me $545... I thought that was high but after I saw how perfect the paint match was, I was totally fine with the cost.
Here's the link to my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=hks+hood
Old 02-21-06, 05:44 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

$1k for my Wald Exec.
Old 02-21-06, 05:45 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

$1200 for my Wald Exec., DSR roof spoiler and TTE Grill.
Old 02-21-06, 05:55 PM
TeflonGS
Driver

Anybody get their kit molded?
Old 02-21-06, 06:34 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have a WIN Type I replica, it's scratched up and cracked and I have to get it painted. also, i have a l-sportline grille that has a chip in it

for all the repairs, painting the front, rear, 2 sides and grille and installation he's chargin' me $700 after everything. i get a good hook up 'cause he sponsors my car club and he's a homeboy haha
Old 02-21-06, 08:20 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Suge66, although it sounds like your paint job came out alright, I think it's highly recommmended to leave your car at the bodyshop so they can color blend the paint while doing the job. If your car is 3-4-5 years old and they shoot fresh paint on the bodykit, it will not match with the car. I think it's highly recommended that you leave your car with the bodyshop so they can color blend the paint for a better match.

Just a few weeks ago I had my new hood painted & installed. The bodyshop charged me $545... I thought that was high but after I saw how perfect the paint match was, I was totally fine with the cost.
Here's the link to my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=hks+hood
I feel you on that, but at the same time, i know my car isnt going into any shows. So a $1500 paint job to me, isnt justifiable, if i'm just painting parts. The whole car yes, but not just parts. I love perfection, but i'm not goint to waste money like that. Soon as i wash it, i will post pics. I think a good body shop can blend paint as long as you dont wait to long after the paint job to blend it in with the old paint. Some of my boys can tell that i got it done, cause they know what parts were getting painted, others couldnt. So to me, i'm fine. Just my $.02