GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Input Needed (car broken into, need to replace stereo, lights, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 08:47 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Needed (car broken into, need to replace stereo, lights, etc)

Today was by far the worst day of My "Lexus Owners" Life! My car was broken into and the entire interior was destroyed. Well maybe I'm exaggerating a little but The damage totaled 5k in damage according to my Insurance Company.

I recently installed a Kenwood DDX7015 with the KNA4100 Nav unit. And a JL audio Sub with a custom box in the works. THEY TOOK IT ALL! I had a spare headlight in the trunk that I was gonna practice on for seperating the lens to clean and reseal...they stole that! I had the box that the Head unit came in in the trunk, with the factory Radio in it...they stole that too! Bastards stole my damn Fog Lights.

To I suprise I learned that the Fog's are insanely easy to steal! 2 philips screwes on each light...that's it! When I get hte replacements...I will shange those to Stars or hex even...Less common! But I am still wondering why on earth would lexus design the fog lights like that...Especially when getting to the side markers is "Fort Knox" esque! Stealing the Radio and AC controls is on par with the fog lights. It's only 4 actual bolts that need to be removed. everything else just simply pulls apart. I know I'm ranting...I feel violated!

Here's my issue. I've got a $5,000.00 check in my hand and want input on what, if Any, I should put back in my car. I would like to retain the use of my Double DIN space. Basically, after I purchase allt he parts, I'll have $3000.00 to spend on my Audio solution.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

G
Old 03-28-05, 08:53 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your situation. This happened to me in january only they destroyed my drivers door and the pillars of both driver side windows. Ended up with $2500 bill for body work and another $4000 for audio and interior work. Some people really suck.

I dont know much about the double din audio equipment. I have a Kenwood KVT-915dvd and absolutely love it. I just got my kenwood LZ-700W headrest screens in and they should be going in soon as I find the time. I really thought about putting it back to stock and banking the insurance check but I really liked my setup and decided to reinstall it.
I have heard of other members using hex screws for the fogs to hopefully deter thieves. Sorry to hear about your loss and hope that your gs gets at least back to where it was, hopefully better than ever.
Old 03-28-05, 08:57 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default Sorry to hear that for both of you

I am sorry that happend to you guys but did any of you have any kind of aftermarket alarm on it? if so which one etc. I plan for people to go after me I just need to be prepared. Hope things work out with you there.
Old 03-28-05, 09:11 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Default Funny you mention alarm!!!

When I purchased the vehicle, I only received a "Non" transponder Key. So, my remote entry and alarm features have been absent from me. After doing some research, I found out that you can get a replacement ECU from Lexus for the price of the keys. I have been dragging *** about doing it...and now i'm regretting it like crazy...not that it would have helped much...but every little bit counts.

Is there an alarm that will alert you when it is going off? By beeping or vibrating at the remote?

G
Old 03-28-05, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man sorry to hear what happened.... i don't have good suggestions on the audio setup on your car and how to spend the money, but i do feel very bad about your car being broken in..... that really sux
Old 03-29-05, 12:58 AM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default code alarm

code alarm will do that, go off on your key to let you know. I am hoping that the factory alarm (might upgrade the loudness of when it goes off) along with a tilt sensor, shock sensor and headbuster will be enough.
Old 03-29-05, 04:56 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maaloxx
When I purchased the vehicle, I only received a "Non" transponder Key. So, my remote entry and alarm features have been absent from me. After doing some research, I found out that you can get a replacement ECU from Lexus for the price of the keys. I have been dragging *** about doing it...and now i'm regretting it like crazy...not that it would have helped much...but every little bit counts.

Is there an alarm that will alert you when it is going off? By beeping or vibrating at the remote?

G

The Viper 791 will do that to I suggest you get one of the those with some of your cash about $750 insatlled with/remote start. Sorry about your loss
Old 03-29-05, 06:02 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Maaloxx you may want to look into the new Pioneer double din. It is either coming out this month or next, my rep will let me know next week. It is real nice lookins. If not try something like I did.
As for the alarm please go get a Viper 791, it has alarm and remote start and will page you if someone breaks into the car.
Old 03-29-05, 06:25 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear that man. I hope everything works out for you man. This was one of the biggest reasons why I wasn't sure if I wanted to install an aftermarket stereo.
Old 03-29-05, 07:53 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DjFergi
sorry to hear that man. I hope everything works out for you man. This was one of the biggest reasons why I wasn't sure if I wanted to install an aftermarket stereo.
I'm with you on that. TVs in headrests and double din headunits calls theives like crack to the crackheads.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I can imagine how you must feel.
Old 03-29-05, 08:05 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, sorry to hear about this. Was the car parked in the street? If so, what part of New York did this occur in?
Old 03-29-05, 08:19 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Parked in my Off street driveway. I'm in NJ 10 minutes from manhattan.
Old 03-29-05, 08:58 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maaloxx
Parked in my Off street driveway. I'm in NJ 10 minutes from manhattan.
where abouts man fort Lee

im like 20 minutes away from the GWB near Alpine
Old 03-29-05, 09:10 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
where abouts man fort Lee

im like 20 minutes away from the GWB near Alpine
I'm 10 minutes from the holland in Bayonne!
Old 03-29-05, 11:37 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

What an absolute bummer! You have my condolances for your loss.

One thing needs to be mentioned about pager type alarms. Years ago when I was in the automotive industry, I sold a system to a guy who had his car ripped off multiple times. The system he bought was, by todays standard pretty crude but it had a pager. A couple of weeks after he pruchased it, I ran into him on the street. He looked like someone had put him in a meat grinder. He told me his pager went off so he ran out and confornted the thieves. There were two of them. He not only lost another audio system, but as a bonus they also beat the living hell beat out of him. I could have been worse they were also both carrying guns.

Good luck on your repairs.
Bill

Quick Reply: Input Needed (car broken into, need to replace stereo, lights, etc)