GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone have EZ Pass problems on there GS with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 09:16 PM
achadha100
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have EZ Pass problems on there GS with NAV

Well got the car last week and moved my ezpass to the GS430 and it stopped working. They told me that it would not work because of the navigation sytstem interfering with it. Told me they would have to mount the pass on the front license plate which sucks easy target to steal. While taking off the license plate I had found that there already was a ezpass there mounted to the bottom of the bumper. The car was from Connecticut so there was no license plate on the front of the car until I had one put on from Lexus. EZPass person told me there were problems with ezpass on GS's
Old 03-31-05, 09:30 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hardly see how it would interfere ... ez pass works of RFID while navi is GPS

plus even if this ez pass doesnt pick up, they're not going to fine u for driving through the ez pass line. when they pull up ur plate number its gonna say registered ez pass user and thats the end of it. now if u go through the booth with a lever i would understand the problem.. but once again ez pass works of RFID while navi is GPS

i think its just where u mounted the ez pass...i mounted mine right behind the review mirror below the black metal defrost looking stuff....before i had my own eztag i would use my moms and one month i found out they charged me like 90bucks for running eztag... but now that i have my car registered with my own eztag i have never got one peep yet. its not a mounting problem because i can go through lanes with the lever and it picks up my eztag everytime.

BTW i would fly through ez lanes at like 80 i hear u need to slow down so it can pick it up but i say who cares onces they pull up ur plate number they'll realize ur a eztag owner.

Last edited by joshoowa; 03-31-05 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 11:39 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

I've had no problems at all with EZ-Pass on my GS. I suggest getting a new tag, the one you have is either dead or the battery inside it is going. FYI, mine is mounted right behind the rearview mirror.
Old 04-01-05, 05:08 AM
LarryF
Rookie

I've had an EZPass on my GS300 with Nav for about 3 years and have never had any problems. It's mounted behind the rearview mirror.
Old 04-01-05, 06:22 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I told have had no problems from my EZ. Pass. Traveling through Dulles Greenway seems to be a breeze or hell even when I went to Delaware, no problem. I have mine placed just to the left and behind my mirror. Maybe try placing it at the corners, I have it that way in my truck and it still works.
Old 04-01-05, 06:42 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Just a thought maybe it is because you had two ez-pass on the car the old one on the bumper and yours.
Old 04-01-05, 07:20 AM
achadha100
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is what i was thinking the one on the bumper was interfering...i had mine placed a few inches below the rear view and then a few inches to the right of the rear view with no luck...thanks all

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-05, 07:22 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fisher503
Just a thought maybe it is because you had two ez-pass on the car the old one on the bumper and yours.
This would seem to be the most logical explanation.
Old 04-01-05, 09:59 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a problem once. Fixed it right away. Here is what you do when it stops working. Open the door, take the ezpass and smack it against the concrete. Works like a charm since then.
Old 04-01-05, 10:06 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slickgt1
I had a problem once. Fixed it right away. Here is what you do when it stops working. Open the door, take the ezpass and smack it against the concrete. Works like a charm since then.

that's what I am talkin' 'bout!!!!!
Old 04-01-05, 05:08 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

i have no problems with mine. got the ez-pass behind the rearview mirror and my aftermarket gps antenna on the dash
Old 01-01-06, 10:57 PM
NYCLex
Driver School Candidate

There's no way the gps can interfere with EZPass because the gps doesn't "send" out any signal - it only receives signals - from the satellites. It's completely passive. It sends out no signals that could interfere with EZPass.
Old 01-02-06, 09:03 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by achadha100
...have to mount the pass on the front license plate which sucks easy target to steal....
Only a really dumb thief would steal an EZ-Pass, the checkpoints have cameras that take the driver's pix as they drive through. BTW, I have mine mounted on the front bumper (Illinois' IPASS) for the last year, no theft, I do worry about it getting pulled off at the car wash.
Old 01-02-06, 09:09 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYCLex
There's no way the gps can interfere with EZPass because the gps doesn't "send" out any signal - it only receives signals - ....
Not strictly true, the GPS RF receiver's front end emits RF energy, it should be properly shielded and at low enough levels as measured outside the GPS enclosure. It is Toyota, so I assume they did it right, OTOH, it's really hard to predict how various electronic devices will interact, that's why we have to turn off all electronic devices before the airplane takes off.

The fact that the EZPASS service department has seen troubles on some Lexus/Nav combos speaks volumes. They see lots of cars and know the trouble makers.
Old 01-03-06, 09:28 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i hardly see how it would interfere ... ez pass works of RFID while navi is GPS

plus even if this ez pass doesnt pick up, they're not going to fine u for driving through the ez pass line. when they pull up ur plate number its gonna say registered ez pass user and thats the end of it. now if u go through the booth with a lever i would understand the problem.. but once again ez pass works of RFID while navi is GPS

i think its just where u mounted the ez pass...i mounted mine right behind the review mirror below the black metal defrost looking stuff....before i had my own eztag i would use my moms and one month i found out they charged me like 90bucks for running eztag... but now that i have my car registered with my own eztag i have never got one peep yet. its not a mounting problem because i can go through lanes with the lever and it picks up my eztag everytime.

BTW i would fly through ez lanes at like 80 i hear u need to slow down so it can pick it up but i say who cares onces they pull up ur plate number they'll realize ur a eztag owner.

funny you bring that up..we know somebody that works for ez pass, they said you can go thru those things up to 88 mph and it will still catch the tag...funny part is though, anything over basically 15 mph and you start ticking up warnings in NY anyway..after four you get fined and lose your ez pass for x amount of months depending on severity of the speeding, times, etc....but who the hell would be inconsiderate enough to blast thru the damn things that fast anyway..you never know when a toll worker is going to come bopping thru there and then they're dead...definitely not worth the .002 seconds you saved not slowing down thru the toll

Quick Reply: Anyone have EZ Pass problems on there GS with NAV