GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs430 Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 01:13 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, I've seen some discussion around this topic, but not what the average MPG that people are getting, on my GS430, I noticed that I've been only getting about 14-17, and 17mpg is all freeway, this is a bit of distance from the sticker numbers of 18-23,

I wanted to hear what other people are getting on their cars, specifically the GS430, btw, mine is stock, no mods, yet!

Old 06-07-01, 02:02 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles do you have? It's not unusual for it to take several thousand miles (5k?) until the engine loosens up enough to deliver better mpg.

Also how do you drive? Accelerate? Brake? Steady on the gas at constant speed or speed up/slow down?

As for me I guess I'm getting 18-20 in my 400. Don't really know for sure. When it needs gas I put it in.

I found that, in the past, when I paid attention to mpg I became too concerned with getting better mileage and stopped paying enough attention to enjoying the capabilities of the car. (I also remember the words of my late father "If I have to worry about how much mileage it's getting and how much gas it's using...I bought the wrong car.")

Last edited by RealMarty; 06-07-01 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-07-01, 02:15 PM
chowder
Driver

gs400
19-23
never gotten 17, never gotten 24.
Old 06-07-01, 03:14 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RealMarty
How many miles do you have? It's not unusual for it to take several thousand miles (5k?) until the engine loosens up enough to deliver better mpg.

"If I have to worry about how much mileage it's getting and how much gas it's using...I bought the wrong car.")
I've got about 1200 miles on it so far, hopefully it will improve, and it's not the only thing I pay attention to, it's just ONE of many things that I pay attention to my new baby!

Old 06-08-01, 09:38 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

GS430 with 3200 miles----last 4 tankfuls between 20 and 21 with combo driving. Never got below 18 even on the first tankful. Need to take it in for a checkout. Good luck
Old 06-09-01, 01:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I average about 12-18...I think 18.3 is the highest I've ever gotten (on one tank averaged out)...but then again, I drive serious stop and go and stop and stop and go and stop type traffic...

I need to drive during less congested times I guess...

This is both BEFORE and after my 20's...
Old 06-09-01, 01:53 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

I average 19mgp...mostly city miles and some highway.
It should impove once the engine gets more broken-in I hope.
Old 06-09-01, 02:51 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

gs430, 3600 mostly city miles, 15-17 mpg......haven't paid too close attention. Unless your driving precisely matches the computer controlled dynomometer-run route that the EPA uses to obtain the city and highway numbers that are posted on the big window sticker in left rear window when new, real world mileage is generally 10-20% below the city number. Highway number usually not quite so optimistic.

I might add that since CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) is such an important number for the mfgrs. (potentially lots of money in fines, since it's federally mandated), they will optimize not only fuel injection mapping and shift points but even gear ratios to eke out another 0.1 mpg or so on the EPA cycle since it is so precisely defined and repeatable. Need I point out that those strategies do not necessarily guarantee real world results? Or driving pleasure?

But I'm NOT complaining!!!! To obtain the sort of performance we have now from the cars I grew up with (see "American Muscle Car" on Speedvision), we sacrificied smooth idles, lots of mpgs, and had cars that didn't really turn or stop all that well. To say nothing of the interiors........aaaacccckkkkk!!! Nothing like precise fuel injection metered and controlled by an ECU with more computing power than my first Mac!!!

Sorry.....was going to make a long story short, but I see that it's too late.
Old 06-09-01, 12:51 PM
TMitchell
Driver

I will be taking a 1200 mile round trip the end of this week. I will post my gas mileage. I will be driving at about 75 to 80mph. A lot of people will post their highway gas mileage, but don't mention how fast they drive. City mileage means nothing, since it depends on how many lights you hit and the amount of grid lock.
Old 06-09-01, 02:55 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

TMitchell, enjoy your drive, my only problem with the car so far is that I live to damn close to my work, 12 miles round trip a day,

I wanted to enjoy my car more!! so I've been looking for excuses to go drive the car
Old 06-10-01, 07:25 PM
LexusPilot

Lightbulb MPG

I just drove to houston and back. Check this out...
I got 27.1 out and 27.3 back. At 1/2 tank level I was at 265 miles. All my calculations were based on full tanks almost run out and then filled again and divided by mileage driven. I cannot get a ticket so I drive at 73 with cruise on, lay back and enjoy the ride. I had a planned fuel stop on the way out and went cruising by it just under half tanks. Temperatures were 80s, cloudy and not windy.

I thought I made a mistake but I did this out and back.
The only things different from stock are K&N and Mobil1.

I drove from Charleston almost all the way to Birmingham one night in my Grand Cherokee. That is numerically impossible based on EPA Mileage. But that night I was trying to stay awake by trying to make it all the way past atlanta without turning off the cruise. I think it makes a big difference. Anyways I was almost all the way home and the fuel chime went off

Old 06-10-01, 08:21 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Question

LexusPilot wrote:
I cannot get a ticket so I drive at 73 with cruise on, lay back and enjoy the ride.
Why cant you get a ticket? This is the type of infomation you must share with the community.

Please dont say it is because you are a cop.
Old 06-11-01, 07:59 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Thought I Did Well!

FWIW - I averaged 88 mph on my trip to Orlando last weekend & the GS was loaded with myself, wife & daughter as well as a trunk full of suitcases ( well, as many as the stereo would allow me to insert!!:eek: - wife's NOT happy about that!! ). We pulled down 21 highway mpg & that's with the A/C running & me doing some serious accelerating past slower moving 18 wheelers & cars. Have to admit that the GS is THE most well-balanced car I've ever owned - handles, brakes & accelerates top notch as well as holding 4 people & luggage while doing so!!
Old 06-11-01, 11:21 AM
LexusPilot

Originally posted by The_Best_GS
LexusPilot wrote:

Why cant you get a ticket? This is the type of infomation you must share with the community.

Please dont say it is because you are a cop.
I meant I cannot afford to get a ticket, because I am applying for another job in a year or so and they frown on tickets, even one.

I hate traffic cops, not individually but collectively. I know many fine police officers and I know there are many more. I hate the nameless faceless traffic cop in that "cop" car before I meet him/her. The system has managed to evolve to the point it where it violates our rights. Sleazy accident lawyers and activist groups have stolen our freedom. One ticket for minor speeding can ruin my career plans. But the fu$$ing cop ba$tard does not think of that. Sorry for the rant
Old 06-11-01, 06:40 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I drive in Power tranny mode all the time and put my foot to the floor pretty much every time I launch. That pretty much sums up my city driving. I didn't buy this car to drive it timidly! In the city, I get 16-18mpg, but definitely weighted toward the lower end of that scale.

However, when I drive distance in the car, I put the tranny in normal mode and use the cruise control. On the highway, I generally see 23-24mpg, and once or twice even over 25mpg...must have been a tailwind or something!

For a car with such a great engine, I have no problem with the mileage. Sure, I'd love for it to be better, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car...

Quick Reply: Gs430 Mpg