GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Want to install a Navi in My GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 03:13 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone,
i just got a 98 GS400, (yeah i have been on this board for a while, but i had to rep lexus somehow) anyway I want to install a navigation system in the car. i have a few questions if anyone has any insight i would really appreciate it....
1. Which navi should I be looking for?...I keep hearing that the Alpine Powernav is the best but I'm hearing there are new ones out from Panasonic and Pioneer that can also play normal DVDs as well as do Navigation)
2. How does playing CDs work with navigation? I'm not a big disc changer fan and would prefer a single disc cd player.
3. How much should I look to pay? I got a quote from Myer-Emco for $4G for the total install, I saw a the Alpine unit being sold brand new and probably could get for about $1700, but still need the screen and installation.
4. For those who do have the aftermarket how do you like it? do you find it helpful or do you regret buying it.

Thanks
Old 06-07-01, 07:57 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Alpine Powernav and it is incredible ! I am using the Alpine Iva-C800 with the alpine DVD . The Alpine c800 would be good for you since it has a built in cd player ! I should be getting my pictures back tomorrow and I'll post pics as soon as I get em.

Also if you want to make your car complete, get the alpine headrest TV's. Very clear pics, better than what I've seen from other companies.
Old 06-08-01, 12:19 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get the Pioneer AVX-7300 flip out screen and the Pioneer AVIC-9DVD
navigation system.

Pioneer's lastest NAV is the BEST out of all in my opinion. Not only is it dvd-based, it has 3-D detail, a gyro sensor, 3-D sense instead of 2-D (knows how high it is also), is voice-activated, and has an option of adding the CUE receiver for traffic/weather/construction information, etc.

Read about it on the web and on pioneer's website, you will be amazed.

It can also play regular dvd movies.

The nav costs $2,400 and the flip out screen costs $1,200.

With this, you can take out the factory radio and put in the flip out screen/stereo system (which can play cds) on top and the pioneer nav on bottom. You can use navigation when needed and watch dvd movies if you don't want to use nav.

Now, if you have passengers and want them to be able to view dvd movies (lcds on the headrests), then you should get the AVX-7300dvd ($1950). With that, you can have the dvd playing in the rear lcds through the AVX-7300dvd and the nav playing the nav dvd in the front and displaying it on the avx-7300dvd's screen. That is how I think it would work, you should check in on that one with having a dvd nav and dvd movies playing at the same time. It gets a little complicated.