GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

vsc for gs owners with lsd -- umm....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05 | 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default vsc for gs owners with lsd -- umm....

alright, well, so i kinda sorta learned it the hard way tonight.

i was driving my gs4 back from LA this past weekend coz' we finally sold our is300 (another story).

granted i have been driving the sc430 stock from nov to jan, and then the is300 till i just sold it this weekend, i am kinda used to "normal" cars, meaning no major power monster like my gs4.....

so i was driving my gs4 back up and took a break. got to a restaurant, rest, got out, and i had to make a left turn. the ground was a BIT wet (and i mean it, only a bit).

so i just normall gave gas to the car, not even flooring (no point to), and proceed to make the left. half way through the turn i noticed something weird, the car continued to turn left even when i steered it back. oh crap, the rear is going out @_@

i took my foot off the gas and just continue to steer (thank god it's in the middle of no where so no cars around), but to my surprise, the vsc did NOT kick in

at least not until the car almost got steered back and i *think* one of the rear wheel got traction again. then i see the vsc flashes and some braking to correct my course....

so after this, i think it's true that with the lsd, it's possibel that both wheels are spinning on turns, and the vsc will not kick in coz' it thinks the car is just going on no problem, but in reality the car is sliding out already.

damn, gotta relearn my driving with this car again..... the tc and lsd are awesome, the car is mad fast now. but you gotta know how to drive it too @_@
Old 04-04-05 | 10:19 AM
R1derfull
Driver

I can't wait till next year when I get my TC and Lsd.
Old 04-04-05 | 10:37 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

i was driving my gs4 back from LA this past weekend coz' we finally sold our is300 (another story).

granted i have been driving the sc430 stock from nov to jan, and then the is300 till i just sold it this weekend, i am kinda used to "normal" cars, meaning no major power monster like my gs4.....

so i was driving my gs4 back up and took a break. got to a restaurant, rest, got out, and i had to make a left turn. the ground was a BIT wet (and i mean it, only a bit).

so i just normall gave gas to the car, not even flooring (no point to), and proceed to make the left. half way through the turn i noticed something weird, the car continued to turn left even when i steered it back. oh crap, the rear is going out @_@

i took my foot off the gas and just continue to steer (thank god it's in the middle of no where so no cars around), but to my surprise, the vsc did NOT kick in

at least not until the car almost got steered back and i *think* one of the rear wheel got traction again. then i see the vsc flashes and some braking to correct my course....

so after this, i think it's true that with the lsd, it's possibel that both wheels are spinning on turns, and the vsc will not kick in coz' it thinks the car is just going on no problem, but in reality the car is sliding out already.

damn, gotta relearn my driving with this car again..... the tc and lsd are awesome, the car is mad fast now. but you gotta know how to drive it too @_@
Henry, glad to hear nothing bad happened as a result. As far as the VSC goes, aren't there sensors on all four wheels? You'd think the "brains" of the system would recognize when there is a disparity between the rotational speed of the rear tires and the front and conclude that some serious wheel spinning is going on.
Old 04-04-05 | 12:03 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default I don't have lsd, but vsc is crap

what's the matter Henry, you don't like getting sideways? I think GS 2nd gen VSC sucks in general.
when mine kicks in, it feels like someone just turned the key off for a second or so. I hate it.
is that how everyone's is? like if pulling into traffic, and one wheel starts to spin, it just cuts of ALL power for WAY to long.
Old 04-04-05 | 12:59 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Henry,
I have the TRD LSD and my VSC kicks in early whenever one wheel seems to spin mor than the other. If I am correct, there is also a yaw sensor that is read that may activate the VSC. I had mine changed out when I first got the car and since then the VSC "overreacts". If you do a search on the TSB for VSC it should give you some info. Glad you didn't get into any trouble
aloha
Ricky
Old 04-04-05 | 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by DetMich1
Henry, glad to hear nothing bad happened as a result. As far as the VSC goes, aren't there sensors on all four wheels? You'd think the "brains" of the system would recognize when there is a disparity between the rotational speed of the rear tires and the front and conclude that some serious wheel spinning is going on.
i have no idea larry, i would like to know as well. all i noticed was that the vsc didn't kick in until pretty late, which is very different from what i had before the lsd install
Old 04-04-05 | 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by chuckb
what's the matter Henry, you don't like getting sideways? I think GS 2nd gen VSC sucks in general.
when mine kicks in, it feels like someone just turned the key off for a second or so. I hate it.
is that how everyone's is? like if pulling into traffic, and one wheel starts to spin, it just cuts of ALL power for WAY to long.
yup, it cuts all power. to be honest, the system might be a bit too conservative, but i guess it's better than not cutting power
Old 04-04-05 | 03:26 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

its what happens when you mess around with the original design. glad nothing happened though conservative car maker, conservative car.
Old 04-04-05 | 05:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

Wow Henry, glad nothing bad happened. With an OPEN (stock) diff the same situation would result in the inner wheel initially spinning madly because it has no traction and then ALL the torque goes (uselessly) to that wheel (that's what an open diff does) and then VSC quickly realizes one wheel's going WAY faster than the other and shuts down the party. But with your lower gearing, Torsen diff and high stall TC you've got a lot more torque on tap than stock, and you can get BOTH wheels spinning on a slippery sharp turn like you took (because if one wheel begins to slip the torque correctly goes to the OTHER wheel) and when they're both spinning the VSC won't detect it.

Hope that helps...
Old 04-04-05 | 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
I think GS 2nd gen VSC sucks in general. when mine kicks in, it feels like someone just turned the key off for a second or so. I hate it. is that how everyone's is? like if pulling into traffic, and one wheel starts to spin, it just cuts of ALL power for WAY to long.
Yes, that's exactly how mine was in stock setup and the situation became WORSE when I got the 2800 stall TC installed because there's more torque on tap, but the Supra Torsen diff was PURE MAGIC in getting VSC to stop interfering. I haven't gotten into Henry's situation thankfully, but I do sense the Torsen diff kicking in (slight chattering of the wheels as one slips a bit then the torque goes to the other wheel, etc.) - it's amazing. And the lowered gearing helps make it even more fun!!!!!
Old 04-04-05 | 05:46 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Henry:
Glad nothing bad happened. Now that I have my summer setup back on, the next time it gets wet out, I'm going to play around to see how far I can push it before breaking the rear loose. BTW, what's your definition of "normal" gas.? 1/3, 1/2...
Old 04-04-05 | 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
its what happens when you mess around with the original design. glad nothing happened though conservative car maker, conservative car.
haha yeah, i suppse the tc and the lsd fully wakes up the potential of the car
Old 04-04-05 | 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow Henry, glad nothing bad happened. With an OPEN (stock) diff the same situation would result in the inner wheel initially spinning madly because it has no traction and then ALL the torque goes (uselessly) to that wheel (that's what an open diff does) and then VSC quickly realizes one wheel's going WAY faster than the other and shuts down the party. But with your lower gearing, Torsen diff and high stall TC you've got a lot more torque on tap than stock, and you can get BOTH wheels spinning on a slippery sharp turn like you took (because if one wheel begins to slip the torque correctly goes to the OTHER wheel) and when they're both spinning the VSC won't detect it.

Hope that helps...
yeah paul, i think that's exactly what happened. this is probably the first (and hopefully last) time that i oversee the whole vsc kicks in (or lack of) after the tc and lsd install.

i had similar incidents before the install, and the vsc kicked in very very fast and just cut all power and braked for me. basically put my car back in stand still right the way.

but this time, i made a left, half way it started to slide out, and by the time the vsc finally kicked in (long after i left go of gas) i had probably mad an 120 degree turn (instead of 90, and then the vsc kicked in and put me back on course...

truely a wake up call
Old 04-04-05 | 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by rheiy
Henry:
Glad nothing bad happened. Now that I have my summer setup back on, the next time it gets wet out, I'm going to play around to see how far I can push it before breaking the rear loose. BTW, what's your definition of "normal" gas.? 1/3, 1/2...
the throttle, i honestly think it was 1/3 at most.... there were no cars around so no reason for me to go fast, plus it's suburb so it's dark, and i couldn't drive fast coz' i won't be able to see the road.... that's why i felt amazing

i think the ground was a bit wet (like i mentined) and maybe i turned a bit fast? dunno.

and i am amazing coz' i already have 10 in the back with 275 (and a lot of tread). granted, my daizen sways are at the stiffest settings