GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mufflers scrape on driveway

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 11:22 AM
cruiser99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers scrape on driveway

I had the stereo off and backed out of the driveway and heard something barely scrape. Later that night I had two passengers in the back seat and I heard a loud scrape. I looked underneath the car and saw that the mufflers were both scraped. Our driveway is not very steep, and the car is not lowered. I couldn't imagine getting the L-tuned drop, and not being able to leave the driveway. The mufflers hang down really low under the car. When I back up, I drive very slowly and still get a minor scrape.
Old 04-04-05, 11:24 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it at a angle. it will not scrape as bad.
Old 04-04-05, 11:29 AM
cruiser99
Driver School Candidate

I am worried about wearing a hole in the muffler. I don't get to drive the car often since it is my wife's. The other day was the first time I noticed it because the radio was off. We live on a hill, and the street slopes down into the bottom of our driveway, creating a small valley where the two intersect. The mufflers actually scrape on the street and not on the driveway. I do back up at an angle and very slowly but I still scrape one of the mufflers.
Old 04-04-05, 11:52 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

I have an underground garage w/ a fairly steep drop from the sidewalk to the drive way. I have to drive (slow) in & out at a real sharp angle to aviod scraping. BTW: My GS400 is lowered approx. 1"+ (L Tuned springs) & 18" low profile Michelin Pilot Sports.

Good luck . . .
Old 04-04-05, 12:26 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

If you aren't dropped and you don't have a system in the trunk, then I don't understand how you can be scraping. Could the springs be wore out? Shocks blown?
Old 04-04-05, 12:31 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser99
I had the stereo off and backed out of the driveway and heard something barely scrape. Later that night I had two passengers in the back seat and I heard a loud scrape. I looked underneath the car and saw that the mufflers were both scraped. Our driveway is not very steep, and the car is not lowered. I couldn't imagine getting the L-tuned drop, and not being able to leave the driveway. The mufflers hang down really low under the car. When I back up, I drive very slowly and still get a minor scrape.
well between the stero equipment and the 2 passengers id say it was more then enough weight to

bottom out

i just had a major scrapefest with a flatbed truck it wasnt so bad going up but coming down it was

like using a plastic shovel at the beach the way the gravel was coming up
Old 04-04-05, 12:52 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

So he does have a system in there?
Old 04-04-05, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no matter what you will just have to be careful with it, that's for sure. you don't want to one day scrape out a hole on the muffler like you said. take the car at an angle i think that's very important
Old 04-04-05, 01:48 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah...like everyone said.....go at an angle....very slowly.....also, pump up the tires the proper psi....and take out any unnecesarry crap from the car/trunk.

If that dont work....have ur shocks checked....it maybe time to replace it.

And if that dont work....park the car at the bottom of the hill, sell the car, or sell the house and move.
Old 04-04-05, 03:28 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

those shocks are gone bro. get them checked out. or get stiffer ones. bilsteins are cheap on ebay right now.
Old 04-04-05, 04:26 PM
cruiser99
Driver School Candidate

I don't have any stereo equipment in the trunk. I will get the shocks checked out.
Old 04-04-05, 04:30 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

i used to run stock suspension and my tips would scrape the ground on my driveway, found out shocks were basically dead. got bilstein suspension and even with it almost 2 '' lower it doesnt touch at all. so im pretty sure thats whats up.
Old 04-04-05, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
i used to run stock suspension and my tips would scrape the ground on my driveway, found out shocks were basically dead. got bilstein suspension and even with it almost 2 '' lower it doesnt touch at all. so im pretty sure thats whats up.
wow, so with blown shocks it compresses to badly huh
Old 04-04-05, 10:18 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

yep at least thats how it was in my case. we pulled the shocks, compressed them by hand, and they didnt extend back to full length. actually it barely came back out at all. i was wondering why it seemed so floaty on the freeway.
Old 04-05-05, 07:40 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I figured that's what it was.

Quick Reply: Mufflers scrape on driveway