GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

battle on the TL forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-01, 03:48 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend was sharing a little race story on the TL forum and the thread has turned into an all out Lexus vs. BMW vs. Acura war. It's funny how so many BMW owners love to go on OTHER forums and brag about how great their bimmers are.

1SickLex, I saw your post over there too. I was thinking of registering just so I can defend our beloved Lexus.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001807.html
Old 06-08-01, 04:29 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Default some guys are unbelievable

man you can't believe some guys who drives a 530i and thinks i'ts the best car of the world. (let me race it when i get 350hp for my 530i. haha what is it? even a GS300 can beat 530i)

GS430 is no doubt the best luxury seden with value/money. 540 with sport package is sure stunning, but it's at least 5k more than a fully loaded GS430. "true sport seden" yeah. even with the full power at the wheel with manual tranmission, GS430 still smokes it = P
I sitll like the GS430. not beacuse it's chpeaer but it's incredible power and unparallel interior design. Nothing drives like that.
Old 06-08-01, 04:40 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Just read some of their post and hey its better than the bimmer site. TL are a nice car and still rides well. Yes, you can't compare it to a GS but at least they are being honest.
Go to the bimmer site and you'll get some pretty bad remarks along with some nasty emails. I'll say it again COME ON OUT AND LETS SEE. Bimmers are not that great and carry many problems........
As for the Acura site> you are more than welcome to the Lexus site.

HAPPY DRIVING
Old 06-08-01, 04:48 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

yeah TL people mostly are being objective. like if they have a TL, they will say gs400 is a good car. fast and everything. it's not like sheer subjective Acura pride, and tho Acura is a great car with top notched quality.

Bimmer... urg... i'd like to stay away from it.
Old 06-08-01, 05:01 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

I agree, some bimmer owners get such a big head and think they have the best car on the road or something. They have to go on every forum and start ******. I don't see many Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, or Infiniti owners do that. Even though these manufacturers make cars than can out perform bimmers.
Old 06-08-01, 05:27 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

i dunno why i registered a sn in TL forum, but it's just not going through!!! i can't even post a reply!!! man.... no forum is comparable of what we have here..

Clublexus forum is just like LEXUS, best quality and best feed back !! man, these other forums' deisgns are so poorly organized! thanks Mike.

by the way a GS430 can smoke BMW 540i, only the 540i with sport package and Manual transmission would keep up with GS430. hehe.. take that!
Old 06-08-01, 06:59 PM
chino78
Rookie

ITS NOT THE CAR IT'S THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! I drove my father's 98 M3 convertible for a few months before I got my GS430. One of my memborable experiences driving the car were at my Father's restaruant that's located in a ritzy part of Tampa (Hyde Park for anyone that lives in the area) there was a 99 M3 pulling infront of our restaruant with a BIG Dinnan sticker on the windshield and dinnan logos all over the car! While the guy was walking into our restaruant I asked him So what Dinnan products do you have? Seeing me for nothing but a snotty teenager he replies EXTREMELY snotily "everything" I was like huh what a *****. So as I left to run an errand I see him walking to his car I drove past him in my father's M3 with the top down, I slowed down to give him a look and let him see me. The look on his face made my day. He should have known in that area of town snotty teenagers drive nice cars. A few months later I met the guy at a BMW meet at a dealership in a neighboring town, he remembered me! I guess I was his wake up call.
Old 06-08-01, 07:26 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Talking They have too much time

Originally posted by GSPOWER
I agree, some bimmer owners get such a big head and think they have the best car on the road or something. They have to go on every forum and start ******. I don't see many Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, or Infiniti owners do that. Even though these manufacturers make cars than can out perform bimmers.
Well, what you don't realize is when we are not driving our beloved Lexus cars, we spend our time on ClubLexus sharing tips for performance upgrades. To contrast, bimmer owners don't spend much time in their cars because they're always in the repair shop, and who wants to go out in an Enterprise rental. Also, who wants to spend much time on bimmer.org to swap reliability problems, so they're out there cruising the web pledging undying devotion to their "ultimate driving machines"!
Old 06-09-01, 02:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, it's not just BMW boards that have this "snooty" attitude...it's Mercedes boards too...they all think that their cars are God's Gift to the Vehicle World...

And when to argue with them on FACTs, they always come back with **** like "but it doesn't look as good", "it doesn't feel as good", "it's Japanese"., etc...basically, all subjective and or stupid arguements...

And they probably don't believe that Lexus was the first Luxury brand to top 200,000 car's a year...(MotorTrend July 2001, Page 32)

And they discards "little" facts like how Mercedes's highly touted "Tele Aid" feature didn't even work in the first few thousand C-Classes (W203) that they sold (and Mercedes sold them FULLING knowing this and didn't bother telling customers!)

And don't forget the STELLAR respect and service you get from your local BMW and Mercedes dealer...especially if you're under 50. I am CONSTANTLY AMAZED by these dealerships!
Old 06-09-01, 09:20 AM
dgangi

Default BMW / Mercedes

I also think it's the people...not the cars. Let's face it -- BMW and Mercedes (w/help of AMG) build some absolutely stupendous cars. I hate to say it, but I would take a BMW M-series car (especially an M5) over just about any other car in the world...even the GS430 :eek:

Anyway, the people that drive BMW and Mercedes cars are, for the most part, still living with the idea that only Germans can build good road cars. For years and years, the only good road cars anywhere in the world were all made by BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche. Audi has made some good road cars in recent years and are now also accepted as part of the "German road car" club.

The first stereotype that fell was German (and European) quality and image. I never forget when Infiniti and Lexus introduced their first luxury cars in the early 90's and all my parent's friends (Mercedes drivers) snubbed them as fancy Jap cars -- no competition. But when the Q45 could whip every other luxury car on the road in performance AND provide the same level of luxury, people started to take notice. The Q45 and LS400 were much cheaper to buy and own than those European "image" cars and rarely broke down. After a few short years, more people started to take notice. So, in a short while, Lexus (and to a lesser extent Infiniti) was accepted in the ranks of luxury cars, right next to Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. But, as the thought went, the Germans still owned the road.

Now the next image that needs to fall is the stereotype that only Germans can build good road cars. We're not the only target of those haughty German a$$holes -- they take lots of shots at Corvettes to Volvos to Acuras. This is their last stand and the enemies from the USA and Japan are quickly encroaching on their turf. Now they resort to cheap, unfounded shots to protect their image, which is starting to crumble around them. They will soon be forced to live with the fact that other brands of cars can be just as good (or better) than a BMW and Mercedes on the road.

And, dollar for dollar, there are a lot of cars that can already whip the pants off a BMW yet they won't admit it. Run a C6 Corvette against ANY BMW (even the M-series) and the Vette will smoke any of them -- both in straight acceleration and in handling AND it costs a lot less. BMW guys really hate that!

Let the German enthusiasts continue to be defensive about their cars. Their disillusion is all they have left. I'll just enjoy my Lexus and let the others duke it out.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-09-01, 10:15 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I had a 2000 Acura 3.2TL before I traded against my current 2001 Lexus GS430. I loved that TL, but the materials weren't quite a high-end and the performance wasn't quite what I wanted (coming off of ten years driving vintage big-block Mustangs).

I drove the CL Type S to get an idea of what the TL Type S might feel like; I drove the 540i Sport manual and the E430 Sport (Sport! HAH!); I drove the 330i, IS300, etc. I was on the list for the M5 and E55. I finally drove the GS430 right after it was released last September and decided it offered the perfect balance of power, reliability, luxury, and price for my tastes (notice I didn't include handling; L-Tuned and TRD address my issues there).

Still, there are times once in a while when I miss the TL...more out of nostalgia than anything else, although the car had a nice, light, hungry feel to it. Acura makes a nice, tight, fun car. Their manumatic implementation is the best I've used, I think. For the price, the TL Type S is about the most well-rounded car you can get, I think, same as the GS4 within its price range.
Old 06-09-01, 10:28 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Thumbs up Standing Ovation for Doug!!!!

Great post doug. I love it.

To re-iterate the post that Lonnie made on the TL site...I bought my Lex for my own reasons. I looked around and chose the Lex because it's the best all around car out there. GREAT performance, luxurious, quiet, and goddamn they're good looking cars! Sure there's cars that are faster than my GS, but they don't ride like mine. I can beat most cars 0-60, I can drive downtown and turn heads, I can drive my GS cross country and feel like I'm sitting on my couch, and I can take my woman out for an evening and ride in total style. The GS is well-priced and reliable.

F$%k with that!
Old 06-09-01, 08:45 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I can't believe someone on page 1 of that forum said that, and I quote, "I'd be in a GS430 if it weren't for the RWD!"

What!!! Does this person even know what sports sedan means!?!
Old 06-10-01, 03:48 PM
TMitchell
Driver

I traded my unreliable 1995 BMW 540i with only 42,000 miles on it for a 2001 GS 430. I had so many things go wrong with it that I was afraid to take it on trips. I was getting tired of my co-workers making jokes every time I had to bring it in for repairs, which was quite often.
Old 06-10-01, 04:05 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TMitchell
I traded my unreliable 1995 BMW 540i with only 42,000 miles on it for a 2001 GS 430. I had so many things go wrong with it that I was afraid to take it on trips. I was getting tired of my co-workers making jokes every time I had to bring it in for repairs, which was quite often.
that is so funny!!
3 people that I know that have purchased the latest 323/328/330's have had numerous electrical problems.
just something not right when you spend upto 44k for a 330i!! and get a car that has many electrical problems.

Quick Reply: battle on the TL forum