GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!!! Got a bubble on my 20in tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-01, 01:10 PM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I just bought a set of 245/35 Nitto NT555's 20 inch for the front and the 275/30 for the rear. I've had them for about maybe 5000 miles on the car, and the front drivers side tire got a bubble on the inside sidewall. I took it back to the shop that I bought it from and they said they will see if they can warranty it. I have to take it up there Monday morning, and they will send it to a local guy to check if it can be warrantied. I have a gut feeling it won't be!!!!

From my understanding, the only way you can get a bubble on the side wall is if you hit a pothole. This will make the side wall collapse and bulge outwards. Another way can be a factory defect in the tire. Now, I did not hit a pothole, that I am for sure of, and I make sure that my tire pressure is always right. I left an e-mail for the Nitto Corporation explaining what happened and what I can do if the shop does not warranty it. Hopefully they will get back to me. I am also gonna try to call Nitto on Monday. Any suggestions or comments will help guys.

Somebody please tell me i'm not out about $250 for a tire!!! Otherwise, I guess I'm just gonna have to dig a little deep into these empty pockets
Old 06-09-01, 01:13 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could you drive a bit on the bubble? i had a buble in my 16s and my mom kept driving it for about 2000 miles more
Old 06-09-01, 03:31 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that Well, when I had my 17's I had 3 bubbles on it ! I drove with the bubbles for like 1 year with no problems ! I don't believe it should give you any problems ! How deep are the bubbles. Is it petruding out alot where its like a big pimple?
Old 06-09-01, 03:33 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sasha and ap0718, driving on a bubbled tire is not the wisest course of action, even if you mom drives like your grandmom. It is a very weak spot in the tire, in an area where it is not at it's strongest to begin with. If it fails, it will do so as a blowout with essentially instant and complete deflation. If it's a front tire, loss opf control is almost inevitable for most drivers. If a rear, less of a problem from a control standpoint but still a very unstable situation. Plus, a bubbled tire is a ruined tire. I understand not wanting to shell out the bucks, but you/she not only gamble your own lives but potentially others on the road as well.:eek: :eek:

You need a new one yesterday!!! Put the spare on. Drive slow. Hope Nitto picks it up.
Old 06-09-01, 03:41 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i told her to get a new one as soon as i saw it, belive me, it wasn't my decision...
Old 06-09-01, 03:59 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

Originally posted by LexusRules
i told her to get a new one as soon as i saw it, belive me, it wasn't my decision...
Tell her again and explain that it's not just cosmetic. It's DANGEROUS!!:eek:

Seriously, Mooretorque is right (again!! ). This is not something to screw around with. The bulge indicates the tire is weak (probably split a cord in the sidewall or they separated) and can come apart at any time at any speed. Most likely it will come apart under stress -- like at high speed after driving on it for awhile.

Retire the tire.
Old 06-09-01, 06:17 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

we got new tires at our next service, that was like 1 1/2 years ago. 4 new summer tires, or was it winter? oh well its done now... could it have been the cause of too much tire pressure?
Old 06-09-01, 06:44 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusRules
could it have been the cause of too much tire pressure?
High pressure could have been the cause - it certainly puts more stress on the tire, but it was more probably a tire defect or the result of a pothole, etc.

Anytime I've had this occur the tire was replaced under warranty. Never had an argument that it was anything other than a defect. Of course, most tire warranties are based on remaining tread depth and you don't get a heck of a lot of credit towards the new tire, but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-09-01, 06:55 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

how do you measure how much tire you have left?
Old 06-09-01, 07:47 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

There's a cylindrical device wings a pin in the center that you push into the groove of the tire. The amount the pin goes in shows you the depth of the tread. I'm not sure but I think a new tire is 7/32" and 1/32 is considered as low as it should be. In the states we can use a penny to push into the tread. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head when you push it in, you are out of tread.

BTW, I asked in another post - Your car is leased right? When is the lease up? With all the mods you've done - are you planning on keeping it?
Old 06-09-01, 07:57 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yes we are buying the car when the lease is up and then i'll buy it from my mom when i get older for cheap.
Old 06-09-01, 09:14 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about that tyre where did you buy it from and how much tread life does it have left I had bought my 18" dunlop SP9000 from discount tyre and they had a lifetime warrenty on them ( especialy since they ran $250 a piece) I have changed 4 tyres for free from discount tyres because of bubles in my tyre and they didnt ask any questions about it so if you baught it from discount tyre or LeSchwab or some tyre rims store then they should cover it
Old 06-10-01, 02:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Marty and biggie27, thanks for amplified response re tire bubbles; I was in a bit of a rush at the time. Sasha, I can't imagine that it would not be a warranty replacement.

BTW, how does your mom feel about all your mods on her daily driver?? She must be pretty openminded, esp re those big cans sticking out the back!!!!! I'm impressed!
Old 06-10-01, 11:18 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

I had the same thing happen to me with some 18" nittos, the dealer said it was because I had driven on the tire with to low of tire pressure. They did not warranty it. Right know I have one with a slight crack on the sidewall that I need to replace, I will be very suprised if they warranty this one.
Old 06-10-01, 02:12 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by kobiejohn
I had the same thing happen to me with some 18" nittos, the dealer said it was because I had driven on the tire with to low of tire pressure. They did not warranty it. Right know I have one with a slight crack on the sidewall that I need to replace, I will be very suprised if they warranty this one.
Don't go back to the same dealer that screwed you the last time. Try another dealer. And if he still won't honor the warranty contact Nitto's corporate office in the U.S. It's just not right when mfg's don't honor their warranties. Hold their hands to the fire!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Got a bubble on my 20in tires!!!