GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much am i looking at for painted parts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 12:02 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much am i looking at for painted parts...

I am looking to get my Front/Rear/Sides painted. They have to be stripped and primered again, the first person who did it, did an awefully ****ty job. When i had my rear tires put on, when my car was on the lift, the lift flexed my sides and cracked the paint on either side. Some A hole hit my rear when my car was broken into, and i bumped a car in the parking garage at school. Also, when my car got egged, my door is going to have to be repainted too. How much damage am i looking at.

Front/Rear/Side/Door

John
Old 04-08-05, 12:11 AM
Dsmart
Pole Position

could be like 1K like they did me
Old 04-08-05, 12:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1k sounds too cheap

they have to stripe off teh paint, that's extra. plus after that they have to repair the kit. some of the cracks aren't easy to repair coz' they might flex over time.

personally i say 1500 at least
Old 04-08-05, 05:37 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely you get what you pay for I would think $1500-$2000- since they have to prep it and remove all the old paint it's not like you just bought it and all they have to do is scuff and shoot little more work involved in it. Good luck with you hunt for the perfect shop.
Old 04-08-05, 07:30 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

to be honest if they have to strip it and re primer it than its probably going to cost more than 1k. normally its about $900-$1300 to just primer a kit, paint it, and put it on. Add in the stripping and repair and it might go up a couple hundreds. good luck ..
Old 04-08-05, 08:44 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
I am looking to get my Front/Rear/Sides painted. They have to be stripped and primered again, the first person who did it, did an awefully ****ty job. When i had my rear tires put on, when my car was on the lift, the lift flexed my sides and cracked the paint on either side. Some A hole hit my rear when my car was broken into, and i bumped a car in the parking garage at school. Also, when my car got egged, my door is going to have to be repainted too. How much damage am i looking at.

Front/Rear/Side/Door

John
damn bro--egged, broke into, hit, bad paint job, sideskirts damaged by lift.... sorry to hear it. that sucks. That's enough to make me

Did you complain to the shop about damaging the side skirts? I just had my car in for balance and rotation, and I was paranoid about them messing up my sides. I even asked them to be carefull of them, and told them that they were "fragile"(I'm a pain in the ***, if you're working on my GS ) I'm afraid if my L-tune sides get damaged somehow, I wouldn't be able to find replacement.

good luck. and BTW- I agree- USUALLY you get what you pay for. "Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good"
Old 04-08-05, 09:16 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

well i just dropped my car off a shop and they charging me $400 for my door and bumper w/tte front lip. door got sideswiped and i got a full replacement bumper. funny thing is they have a used dsr roof spoiler sitting around at the shop. i just sold mine yesterday.
Old 04-08-05, 05:20 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
damn bro--egged, broke into, hit, bad paint job, sideskirts damaged by lift.... sorry to hear it. that sucks. That's enough to make me

Did you complain to the shop about damaging the side skirts? I just had my car in for balance and rotation, and I was paranoid about them messing up my sides. I even asked them to be carefull of them, and told them that they were "fragile"(I'm a pain in the ***, if you're working on my GS ) I'm afraid if my L-tune sides get damaged somehow, I wouldn't be able to find replacement.

good luck. and BTW- I agree- USUALLY you get what you pay for. "Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good"
I didn't complain to the shop only because i found out after the fact. It was raining the day i got my new tires on, so the car was already messy and i didn't noticed anything being different. I am very paranoid about letting people work on my car. But i'll spend the extra 200 or 300 to get it done right the first time. I don't have tons of time to waist on stupidity. Yeah, my baby's been through a lot in the past 7 months. I guess i'll update when i get some pricing. Trying to get my parts installed before all this paint. Gotta dig very deep in my pockets for this!

John
Old 04-08-05, 06:26 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default Damn why am I so far off?

I said $1000 and was like bull****ting I was trying to scare the guy, I thought maybe $500 at most and boy am I ever wrong when it comes to stuff like this. how can I be so far off?
Old 04-10-05, 12:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dsmart
I said $1000 and was like bull****ting I was trying to scare the guy, I thought maybe $500 at most and boy am I ever wrong when it comes to stuff like this. how can I be so far off?
hahhaa, maybe coz' you are quoting prices from the early 90s?

seriously man, sometimes we mod cars, we shouldn't just look at prices for the parts
Old 04-10-05, 06:08 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

romini we can just look at the price of the parts if we have TLW install all of our stuff
Old 04-11-05, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dsmart
romini we can just look at the price of the parts if we have TLW install all of our stuff
true that, but he's doing painting as well?