GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible HUGE porblem with GS... (water in the footwell)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 08:46 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible HUGE porblem with GS... (water in the footwell)

Ok, while detailing my car today i took out the drivers side floor mat and noticed two football shaped (and about the same size) spots on the tan carpet. When i put my hand on it to see what it was, my hand came back soaked in stagnant water. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!! We have just got off a few days worth of rain in Tampa, so im a little concerned. the water wasnt fresh as it had a bit of a funky smell. now as a former mechanic, my diagnostics training took over and I immediatley starting taking trim panels off and peeled back the carpet only to find the 2 inch thick white sound reducing insulation. I needed to finish my car as i have a date tomorrow (WOO HOO) but I'm REALLY concerned. I vaccumed the spots of water for about 30 min and even pulled out a hair dryer and hit the spots for about 10 more min. it was almost dry when i moved on, but the carpet was cool to the touch which means more water is sitting undreneath it. By my previous training i dont think that its the drain for the Moon roof as typically the first signs of trouble with the moon roof are patches of water on the head liner. But i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it may be. Possibly a body plug thats missing???? im not sure as of now, but im going to have to check it out and fast, as Floridas rainy season is FAST approaching

any help is appreciated as normal.
Old 04-08-05, 08:51 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ac condenser???????,,,,,,,,or maybe have u had a system put in recently, maybe missing a grommet on firewall or they drilled a new hole for power wire, just suggestions but i wish i could be more helpful
Old 04-08-05, 09:08 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

well as of right now the water was on the drivers side foot well (usually the ac condensor is on the passenger side) right in front of the pedals (if you are looking at the pedals from the drivers position) and right in front of the drivers seat. I havent had a system installed or any work done in that region. But thanks for the help, Im going to be checking all the plugs and grommets on either sunday or monday, so we shall see.
Old 04-08-05, 09:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I recall a couple of things... if it was passenger side I'd more suspect the heater core (assume it's over there). I think there are drain tubes in the bottom of the door or door jamb that sometimes can get plugged with debris. Also vaguely recall something having to do with the sunroof drainage. I'll do a little search

edit - some threads which may or may not be the problem
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=52625
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126889
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121543
Old 04-08-05, 09:27 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

May also want to check the front windshield molding on the driver side... There may be a spot where the water is getting in and finding a way down to the floor...
Old 04-08-05, 10:27 PM
whitegs3
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem with my GS. The problem turned out to be water leaking from the bottom of the evaperator core. There is a joint where the halves connect. I just removed the console to get to it, and squeezed some silicone on the area where the left and right halves of the evaperator box join.
Old 04-09-05, 11:35 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I feel for you - I have the exact same problem. I just have not gotten around to posting or had any time to debug. When you figure out what it is be sure to post.
Old 04-10-05, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
I feel for you - I have the exact same problem. I just have not gotten around to posting or had any time to debug. When you figure out what it is be sure to post.
you got water inside the cabin as well?!
Old 04-10-05, 05:34 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the AC drain dripping normally from under car? Maybe that's clogged?

BTW-I thought you lived in Miami area Carlos?
Old 04-10-05, 05:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Im going to check it tomorrow...

ChuckB- I live in Tampa, sorry to burst your bubble!!!
Old 04-10-05, 09:35 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

Stage3,

I had the same problem 8 months ago and found out it was a cracked heater core. My car had been slightly wrecked (driver's side quarter panel) before I got it and the core cracked. I took it to the dealer and they gave me the diagnosis 3 days after taking it in. We have a real small dealership They had to take the WHOLE dash off to get to it. The job would've cost me $2,900 but fortunately the head of parts dept. felt bad since I had just got the car and got me the new heater core at half price.

The downside was that the car was in for 10 days and they didn't do a great job. They did not put the dash back flush. They also left greasy footprints on my footwell carpet! Now, when ever I hit the brakes or go over big bumps, my dash and the plastic from my center console squeak and creak. It drives me crazy because I don't feel like i'm driving a Lexus anymore due to all the creaking. But all in all, the problem is fixed. I also shouldn't complain because I got the part half off. I've learned to deal with the creaking because all cars aren't perfect. However, I do miss the silence. I hope this post doesn't freak you out, but I had to tell you about my experience.
Old 04-10-05, 09:45 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you got water inside the cabin as well?!
Yup - noticed when I pulled up the driver side floormat - the carpet underneath was soaked. For now I'll keep the GS under cover and drive the Taco when it rains.
Old 11-02-09, 12:22 AM
jamaicanj
Driver School Candidate

How was this resolved??
Old 11-02-09, 12:26 AM
jamaicanj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitegs3
I had a similar problem with my GS. The problem turned out to be water leaking from the bottom of the evaperator core. There is a joint where the halves connect. I just removed the console to get to it, and squeezed some silicone on the area where the left and right halves of the evaperator box join.
How long did it take to remove the console? How difficult was this fix??
Old 11-02-09, 05:29 AM
csudhoff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitegs3
Was this a good enough fix?

Quick Reply: Possible HUGE porblem with GS... (water in the footwell)