GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help Rims are rubbing bad!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 08:10 AM
noop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please help Rims are rubbing bad!

(Mods I know this probably doesnt belong here but if you can please leave it here for a couple days, thanks)

I just bougth some 20 x 9 Lowenhart LD-5s from someone, the guy told me they came off of his 02' GS430 and had no rubbing issues at all, I went to Discount Tire yesterday, bought a new tire for 1 of the rims, and had them mounted, and I have a BIG RUBBING issue, these wheels are a +20 offset, even before mounting them the person at discount tire told me i was gonna rub real bad, well i took the car and left, and it turns out these rims are rubbing real bad in the front and even worse in the back, i called the guy who i bought them from, and he tells me, that they were on a LS430 instead, and he thought i wouldnt have any rubbing,

Please I need some help , is there anything I can do to stop the rubbing, here are the specs on the tires and wheels, front 245-35-20 and rear 275-30-20 and they are a +20 offset

since these are a 3 peice rim, would it be possible to just buy lips with higher offset? im really confused and dont know what to do.

Last edited by NooP; 04-11-05 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-10-05, 08:56 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Those wheels are more suited for a G35c, or BMW 7 etc etc. Also your specs are kind of confusing. Are you sure its 20x9 all around with a 275 in the rear?

If the person said he had them on a LS430, then he lied again, because the LS runs the same basic fitment range as the GS (maybe even a little less aggressive).

I hate to say this, but your best bet is probably to just sell them. We were actually discussing the "purchase new lips" topic on a another thread, and we all agreed that companies like Lowenhart, Maya, etc do not sell the lips separately. For instance, I know a Lowenhart dealer that bent up 3 of his LD5 lips, and even HE could not get new lips.

Your best bet is to attempt to sell the wheels and then buy a new set. I know it sounds harsh, but it would probably be more headache trying to coerce those wheels to fit.

We can help you with a set of wheels that will bolt on, without the "drama". Also if your budget is an issue, let me know and I'll make a few cost-conscience suggestions.

Good luck buddy,
Derrick
Old 04-10-05, 11:40 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with D2. If these fit a G35 or 7 Series then you really shouldnt have a problem selling these. Im sure if you go to an infiniti or such website you can probably sell these. You might take a hit on them but it is better than doing a lot of modification to the fenders.

Or you can contact the seller since he told you they would fit and obviously wont. Did you pay with a CC? If you did maybe you can file a complaint with the CC company and see if they can get your money back. I have never had to deal with a CC issue so I dont know how it works but I had a friend resolve an issue with a large purchase when he filed a complaint with his CC company. Just some ideas to help you get everything straightened out.

Oh and if you do get it straightened out go see D2Autosport and he will get you what you need
Old 04-10-05, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, the seller is a complete idiot, for sure it's not LS coz' it's even more conservative than the GS...

the offset of the wheels aer way too low, sorry but there is just no way you can get them to fit
Old 04-11-05, 09:19 AM
noop
Instructor

pics

Last edited by NooP; 04-11-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 09:30 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

You can tell by the pics that they are not going to fit.

Sorry to hear about the problems, but the seller should give you your money back for giving you wrong information, but you are also at fault for not making sure the measurements would be applicable for your needs.

This sounds like a big ole mess......but the wheels are gorgeous.

Go to the infiniti and nissan boards and see if you can sell them. It might not be over night, but with summer here, everyone is looking for new wheels, so you just might get lucky and sell them quick.

Do you have another set of wheels to use in the meantime?
Old 04-11-05, 11:06 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch....that sux.

Go VIP style with widebody fender flares!!!
Old 04-11-05, 11:10 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

You could try some 225/35r20's and some negative camber around 3-4??This is just a thought?
Old 04-11-05, 11:13 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those wheels are nice man, sorry to hear about the misfortune. I agree that your best bet is to sell them and buy new ones, you'll be much happier in the long run.
Old 04-11-05, 11:14 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by BUSTN
You could try some 225/35r20's and some negative camber around 3-4??This is just a thought?
The front just looks way too far out, looks to me like you don't have a prayer of getting these to fit. You can see from the pics that there's an awful lot of lip on the front, most of us don't have that kind of lip up there, that should say something by itself.
It almost seems like with a bit of work you could get the rears to fit? Then you could just buy two new front wheels to match, but with correct offsets, and sell the front 2 wheels - but then again who's just gonna buy 2 wheels from you anyway...

Last edited by engin_ear; 04-11-05 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn..... that's bad... the rear sticks out a bit, but the front is like way past the fender... not sure if it's even "repairable"
Old 04-11-05, 12:39 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure about anywhere else, but that is a ticket waiting to happen if in NY. To be street legal, your wheels cannot stick out past the edge of the fender. Man that sux bro, i feel bad for you.
Old 04-11-05, 01:08 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Isn't this a bit scary to drive? I'd be afraid of crunching the front fender on bumps, or ruining a tire...
Old 04-11-05, 02:10 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Isn't this a bit scary to drive? I'd be afraid of crunching the front fender on bumps, or ruining a tire...
That would be my concern as well. I was rubbing a lil with my new 19s, but that issues was taken care of. I was terrified to drive the car though, scared if I would rub more or hit a bump and tear the fender off the car with the wheels like a piece of aluminum foil.
Old 04-11-05, 04:28 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing the pics is even worse than what I thought it would be. They are nice wheels but you are going to have nothing but problems with them. If you cant get a refund sell them and try to get most of your money back and then pick out some nice wheels froim someone reputable to purchase. Sorry the seller was so shady and dishonest

Quick Reply: Please help Rims are rubbing bad!