GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To all owners of 98 GS400 models, please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 09:30 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the DTRL is the high beam running @ half the wattage.
Old 06-10-01, 09:31 PM
dbacksfan
Driver School Candidate

Default '98 GS400

My buddy Doug is right about the GS400. I just bought my '98 GS4 two weeks ago and can't get this silly grin off my face.

I was also considering the TLS. But when I'd happen to spot one on the street, they just didn't draw any passion from me... I could just imagine sitting in a new TLS and second-quessing myself everytime I saw a GS.

Performance statistics and resale value aside, if you're a car fanatic like myself, you have to go with with your gut feeling. Just make sure the '98 is sound and has been well taken cared of. Also, look into buying an extended warranty (I did) if you're looking for some peace of mind against unforeseen mechanical problems.

Good luck!

Robert (Go D'backs)
Old 06-10-01, 11:58 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default Saw TL-S's last week

I was also considering the TLS. But when I'd happen to spot one on the street, they just didn't draw any passion from me... I could just imagine sitting in a new TLS and second-quessing myself everytime I saw a GS.

Good point. I have seen 4 TL-S's last week and each time, the owner(s) were checking out my car. All I can say was "whew". That was a close one. I really enjoy my GS400. Too much sometimes. My ony wish is that it will not fit in bed with me.

Last edited by whitediamond; 06-11-01 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-11-01, 01:11 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Test drove the CL Type S before got my Gs4. After test drove the CL type S, I feel my 8 year old 4 cyl Camry didn't drive too much worse than that. Go with the GS4, no comparison.
Old 06-11-01, 06:29 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Hi dbacksfan

Would you mind sharing us how much you paid for your 98' GS400?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-01, 08:29 AM
dbacksfan
Driver School Candidate

Default My deal...

Sure, always happy to talk about my "baby".

'98 GS 400
beige/tan, 28K miles
Nak, Sunroof, HID, Heated Seats, Factory Spoiler, Trunk mat
16" wheels (ugh!) with new tires
registration paid to May, 2002

Paid $32,600 from private party (no sales tax here in Arizona on private party vehicle transactions).

The car is in great shape and was very well care for.

Happy motoring!

Robert
Old 06-11-01, 09:13 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

That sounds a good price for me.
When I search 98' or 99' GS400 from the Lexus dealers, they ask around $40k for the CPO one. Is it worth to get those CPO vehicles from dealer or get the warrenty from internet?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-01, 10:12 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good prices for 98s:

dealer certified- ~30k-35k miles ~$33000

private sale - same miles $30000 and lower

it also depends on the condition of the car.some private sale cars are actually very good(like one of our members, Juan Cos' GS); and i have seen cerified cars are NOT worth the so called certification Certificate. the opposite also applies.
Old 06-11-01, 10:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

on 2 comparable GSs, if the price diff is less than $2500, i would get the factory certified car. this way you need not worry about the repair bill not been approved by the insurance co.

if you need to finance your purchase and have good credit, dealers could also offer you attractive new car rate.

but, if you can find a private sale gs in tip-top shape, and the price is good, go for it, and et the warranty from the net.
Old 06-11-01, 10:52 AM
dgangi

Default GS prices

GS4WILL - your prices for a used GS seem very low to me. What part of the country are you in? I haven't seen a used GS300 or 400 in the Phoenix area, 98 or newer, for what you claim a used GS should sell for. I also have seen the book values on all of these cars and they are all higher than $30K.

Geography plays a huge role in the value of cars. In AZ, used cars go for a premium provided they have been in the desert their entire life. We don't have any snow, salt, hail, crappy roads, broken pavement, or any other ills that kill cars prematurely. Everybody around here also has a garage or carport so the car is never left out in the sun.

Most 3-4 year old cars in AZ look brand new. That's why people come from Colorado, Minnesota, Iowa, and other nasty weather climates to Arizona to buy used cars.

In addition, Lexus cars are very popular around here so they are snatched up as soon as they hit the market.

I recently bought a used 2000 GS300 (13 months old) with 23K miles for only $31,500. I think I got a tremendous deal on the car as the Lexus dealerships all wanted $36K+ for the same model and year. Other people selling the same car private party wanted $35K or better. I don't know why the lady selling the car let it go for so little. She had to sell quick, though, as she was needing the money for her business.

Maybe these cars sell for less in other cities. My friend, Robert (dbacksfan), paid a little over $32K for his 98 GS400 and he got a reasonable deal on his car. If one ever goes on sale for $30K in this town, I'll buy it and turn it around and make some money.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-11-01, 11:28 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb TL was a Mistake!

I've read many of the comments regarding the Acura TL and the Lexus GS400. I've been there also. In fact, I studied both a used GS300 and new Acura TL intensively last year. I really enjoyed the prestigue accompaning the Lexus, and the comfort, and the drivers feel. But, it was a "used" car. I had $30K to spend on a car and thought that "new" was the way to go.

Well, after six months of driving the TL, I began looking for another car. I was not thrilled with the TLs comfort level and didn't get excited anymore. I would see Lexus GS3&4's on the street and think..."I could've got that last year." Well, I finally had enough. I went to the Acura dealer and traded my TL for a USED GS400. I tried to explain my reasoning to friends and family, but they all thought I was nuts. Beleive me, drive a TL then a GS400. Its like day and nite. Everytime I get into this car, I thank god that I traded my car in when I did. The value of the car was going down $1,000 a month. Sure, the more expensive the car, the greater initial depreciation. But, it levels out. I think the GS400 will be relatively more profitable in the long run. Plus, I'll be HAPPY! The TL didn't bring me the happiness that the GS4 does. Kinda magical.

BTW, the sound system in the TL WAS nice. In dash 6 disk changer with BOSE 5 speaker (one is a sub woofer). Really a nice sound. My GS400 has an OK system compared to TL, but I'm happy with it.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-01, 11:35 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Doug,

i am from LA-another city where many USED cars do look like new. it appears to me that you have done your research on the gs pricing, i did too-on both new and used ones. first let me just say that your GS3 buy was nothing but excellent, particularly the price. in reference to your gs3 buy, i can also tell you i saw a 99 gs3, silver/blk w/28kmiles selling for $29k. the owner just bought a brand new 911/996 porsche.

all the elements and factors that you listed do KILL a car, especially the weather factor. that been said, consumer market, especially for autos, are basic laws of supply and demand. whether it is a new or used gs, i see an abundant supply here in LA. though demand is strong for used les, esp.the gs, when you have both dealers and private parties lining up the gs on local ads, buyers are bound to find bargains. as i told all my families, friends, and many who value my words on this board, patience is the key in buying a car, a lexus especially. unless you need the ride immediately, i always suggets people to start looking early in their time frame.

i am not familiar w/arizona area, and its market situation. but i can say that robert got a very good deal on his gs. the price ref. i presented earlier is based on the past 2 months local sales and price figure. i.e., i was looking at a used 98 certified gs for my cousin several week ago, and this was the deal:

GS400 gold, ivory leather, basic premium cd+hid 35kmiles, asking $34500. granted the car was not new, but in clean and decent shape, no major accident and dent.
another member also acquired an 00 gs blk/blk w/nak, only 7k miles, price:$40700+fees.

sometimes i do not like to spell out pricing ref. so vividly as people might feel that they overpaid. it is just that i would like members to share fair amt. of info when it comes to buying big ticketed itmes. used car market is very confusing. one thing i am certain is that dealers have A LOT more margin on used cars, just look at the KBBook, the diff between the trade-in and retail on a gs can be as much as $10k. i would not buy a used 98-99 gs4 for $40k+fees knowing i can get a 01gs430 for ~$45500(premium pkg)+fees.

it is good to hear that at least you DON'T pay for sales tax on used cars. here in LA, we pay taxes on everything. i would not be surpriesd if i have to pay taxes on an used toaster from the charity.

i like to share my info on this board, just hope i do not get anyone's bitter esp. if they think they over paid.

william
Old 06-11-01, 01:10 PM
dgangi

Default Taxes on used cars

Wow...you guys in CA pay taxes on a used car purchase from a private party? We only pay taxes in AZ if any car, new or used, is purchased from a retail store (dealer).

Going private party can save a bundle. My 2000 Lex was $31,500 private party, so I saved around $2200 (sales tax is just over 7% here). My Tahoe was $28K private party, saving me about $2000.

If I had to pay tax on a used car purchased through a private party, I would think long and hard about doing such a transaction. Buying private party is always risky as it is extremely difficult to sue a person if the car turns out to be a piece of *****, whereas I can easily sue a dealer if they sell me a crappy car. Dealers are responsible for every detail of every car they sell -- individuals aren't.

So in AZ the tax savings can justify buying private party. Otherwise, I'd go to a dealer just to have recourse if the car I bought fell apart.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-11-01, 01:25 PM
dbacksfan
Driver School Candidate

I lived in the San Francisco bay area for 16 years, so I know all about the inflated prices and taxation.

The lack of sales tax and ability to transfer any prepaid registration really makes private party sales an attractive alternative here in Arizona. And since there are only two Lexus dealerships in the area, there really isn't much leverage for the buyer. However, I've noticed a real softening of prices in the valley as I noticed a lot of GS3s and GS4s in the recent issue of the local Autotrader magazine with asking prices very similar to mine. A year ago when I first started looking for a GS, the prices were much higher and were essentially out of my price range. So I bought a '94 BMW 325i (that I now have for sale) to use for a year or so until I decided what to do. So patience did pay off for me!

As for disclosing prices paid -- I hope that someone doing research can benefit from all of our buying experiences. That way they can feel confident in their buying decision and can enjoy many happy miles in their new GS. And hopefully, this information does not frustrate other readers by causing them buyer's remorse.

Regards to all!

Robert
Old 06-11-01, 01:53 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Default good choice

whats up man, i just made the same decision except i was thinking about getting an Acura TL Type S or a 98 GS400 Black on Black about a month ago and I got the Lexus cause I have always loved them and this engine is unbeatable. the ac's have the nice navigation and it is brand new but i would never change my GS, my next car will be a brand new GS! of course Black on Black.

Quick Reply: To all owners of 98 GS400 models, please HELP!!!