GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To all owners of 98 GS400 models, please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 03:05 PM
slamedGS

OK i'm about to buy a 1998 GS400 blk/blk, sport pkg. with 39k. I chose this car over a brand new Acura CL/TL type S. Do you think this was a smart desition?
Also is there any problems i should expect with the 1998 model and is it any different from 99 or 2000? Shouls it still drive brand new after 39k? i need help
Old 06-10-01, 03:12 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, welcome to the Lexus family, and clublexus board, I am sure you will find plenty of useful information here = )

Yes of course it was a smart decision, Lexus rides like no others, especially the 400 packs with 300 hp, and incredible 0-60 time. Lexus' engine is good for 150k no problem, and you will sure find Lexus service amazing.

You don't get the GS look when you drive an TL, though it is also a very nice car in terms of quality/value.
98-2000 's GS remains the same the only different noticable is day-time running light. (which myself found it very annoied, the ugly yellow is on all the time )
Else remains the same.

Congrats on BLK/BLK GS (my favorite), enjoy the superb V8 engine. you won't regret it.
Old 06-10-01, 03:30 PM
slamedGS

day time running light is the little light next to the head light? if so what bulb can i put in to make it the color as the head lioght w/o the HID
Old 06-10-01, 03:34 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

look close to the inner bulbs, there are two light bults, one is high beam and the other one is parking light. Daytime running light is the HIGH BEAM bulb in ultra low watt. not the parking light = )
Old 06-10-01, 04:29 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by slamedGS
day time running light is the little light next to the head light? if so what bulb can i put in to make it the color as the head lioght w/o the HID
98s don't have DRLs. That's your high beam in the inside. When the low beams are on they run at low voltage. Actually the same principle as the DRLs, but on the 98 they don't come on during the day with no other lights on.
Old 06-10-01, 04:40 PM
slamedGS

OK...i got it..ANYWAY...ARE THESE THINGS AS FAST AS YOU GUYS CLAIM THEY ARE??? will the 1998 gs400 model have the same 0-60 as a newer, less milege gs4?
Old 06-10-01, 04:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally posted by gsintensive
98-2000 's GS remains the same the only different noticable is day-time running light.
There were other differences in the 98s vs. 99 and 00.

Heated seats and HIDs were options then I believe, but standard (certainly with Premium package) later.

Brake assist came in the '00 year.

Of course the 98s had more minor issues than later years (creaky sunroof seems to have been the most common) but one on the market now should have had those things rectified.
Old 06-10-01, 04:48 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

OK...i got it..ANYWAY...ARE THESE THINGS AS FAST AS YOU GUYS CLAIM THEY ARE???

Try this.

Find a deserted piece of road somewhere late at night - -

Put GS in drive. Tighten seat belt. Put foot on brake. Run revs up to ~ 2200 while holding brake down. In one motion press accelerator to the floor and release brake. 0 to 60 in 5.8 secs.

You tell me...is it fast?

Last edited by RealMarty; 06-10-01 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-10-01, 04:56 PM
slamedGS

I seen something i thought was wierd...this guy pulled up in a 98/99 gs400 and his rear windos rolled down somehow??not the rear window or the back window, but those little round ones in the back...HAVE ANYONE SEEN THAT BEFORE???
Old 06-10-01, 05:35 PM
dgangi

Wink 98 GS400

A friend of mine recently purchased a 1998 GS400 and really loves the car. I drove it last week and the V8 is REALLY fast. I mean FAST. The car is also very tight and rattle free.

I also recently purchased a used GS - a 2000 GS300. The Acura TL was high on my list when I shopped around and eventually decided to purchase the GS. I drove both the TL and 2001 TL Type S. In fact, I had an offer on a nice grey/black TL that some jackass kid turned down because he thought his car was worth much more than it was. Looking back I am glad I didn't buy that car.

Regardless, here's why I decided against the TL:

1) Handling. It just sucks. Even the Type S is marginal. In fact, every review of these cars *****ed about the handling characteristics. (However, the VTEC engine on those cars is great...especially the Type S). The GS handles much better and is RWD so the weight distribution is better and no annoying pull during hard acceleration.

2) Interior. It just sucks. Typical Honda boring, but with cheap interior bits that didn't match. The TL gives you fake wood and lots of it (ugh). The Type S gave you some funky looking fake graphite and lots of it (ugh). The seats didn't have a high grade leather. The stereo was only 4 speakers (hugh?? What's up with that??). This is another frequent ***** mention of TL reviews. The GS I bought had really nice interior with a much better fit and finish than the TL including real wood. The leather was significantly superior (didn't feel like vinyl). It also had a 6 speaker stereo with glove-box mounted 6-disc CD changer. Nice.

3) Styling. Typical Honda boring. Put-you-to-sleep boring. The GS is much more distinctive. Some like it - some hate it. When I first saw the new generation GS body style 2 years ago, I knew I wanted one.

4) Service. Lexus is always on top. My last car was an Infiniti and they were always highly rated as well but have been slipping as of late. The Acura dealerships in Phoenix are both marginally rated for service.

5) Image. Acura's are still considered "near" luxury cars. It's like owning a Honda+. Many put them in the same league as high end Nissans and Chryslers. Lexus cars are considered luxury cars and are in the same ranks as BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and Audi. In other words, they are thought of as some of the finest cars in the world. They are never thought of as a Toyota+.

In terms of outright performance, there isn't a stock TL that can keep up with the GS400. The standard TL and the GS300 are neck-and-neck in terms of straight line acceleration and the Type S knocks off another 1/2 second or so. The V8 of the GS400 is in another league. I've driven both cars so I can give you this honest statement.

Good luck on your decision. Even if you do go with the TL you are still buying a good car...just not a great car. And the valets won't park it in front with the Jags and BMWs. It will be parked in the rear with the Chevys, Hondas, and Nissans.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-10-01, 06:04 PM
slamedGS

i'm not comapring a gs400 to a TL, thats like comparing an RL to LS430, but i'm talking about a brand new
acura vs a lexus 3-4 yrs after
Old 06-10-01, 06:19 PM
dgangi

Default Used vs. new

OK...I'm not sure what you are asking then. You seem to be more worried about the "used" vs "new" argument than one car versus another.

You're right -- the TL isn't in the same league as the GS. I thought your question was "Which car is better? A GS400 or a TL". Now it seems you are asking "if I have $32K to blow, should I buy a used Lexus GS400 or a new TL?"

Well then...what is your motivation? Performance? Then get the GS.

Depreciation? Smart money decision? Used is ALWAYS better than new, so the GS is the better decision hands down. Your residual will be far better on the used GS in 3 years than it will be on the new TL.

Want that new car smell? Then buy the TL or any other new car. A used GS just isn't a new car.

Want to completely minimize your risk? Then buy the TL or any other new car as you will be the only person who puts every mile on the car. ANY used car, whether its a Chevy or a Lexus or a Rolls, can have problems if the previous owner didn't treat the car right. If you want to roll the dice on any used car, you can't beat a Lexus. Their reported problems per vehicle are FAR less than any other manufacturer (about 1/2 the amount as the TL gets reported). In fact, when I looked at the numbers, the TL was third in its category and had been slipping as of late. Just make sure you know the history of the GS400 you are considering and make sure it was cared for.

So, there you have it in my opinion. I also considered the new TL versus the used Lexus and you already know the outcome of my decision. Not only did I get the better car, I also saved some serious cash as well (I paid $31,500 private party for mine compared to $29,500 for a 2002 TL plus tax and tags, which brought the price up to $32,500). Better yet, in 3 years my Lexus will be worth more than the TL I would have purchased new.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-10-01, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally posted by slamedGS
i'm talking about a brand new acura vs a lexus 3-4 yrs after
As Doug says, depends what you're looking for.

Lexus vehicles are the most reliable there are, so unless a used one has been in a crash or completely abused, it should be reliable.

If a 300HP V8 driving the rear wheels doesn't interest you, and a new car warranty does, get the TL.

If you were debating between a used GS300 and a TL I might see the dilemna, but a TL and a used GS400 are completely different cars.

The TL's a nice car, and great for the money. The GS on the other hand, kicks ***, unbelievably smoothly!
Old 06-10-01, 08:24 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS4-REAR wheel drive, a true sports sedan

TL(S)- front wheel drive...well for the price...not bad, and you have to have a BRAND NEW car. but like Doug said, your resale value is MUCH better for the GS.

though you are getting A USED GS, you are nonetheless
getting one of the most relaible car on the planet. as long as the car is clean and in decent shape, GS would be a better choice.

to prove our point of how fast the gs4 can be? when a guy/gal next to you in a BRAND NEW TL(S) tries to race your USED GS4, the result will tell you you made a GREAT decision.
Old 06-10-01, 08:59 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default I went through the same thing

I went through the same damn thing a few months ago.
I drove a few Acura TL-S's. I went to Montclair Metro Acura-worst sales in the world. I went to Riverside Acura-just as bad. I had to go all the way to Orange County to properly test drive a TL-S and get some good service. I wanted the Blue with Parchment interior. Acura only makes it with the black interior which no TL-S owner wants (TL Forum). ALso the guy told me that I could not drive away a TL-S till the following week because of ANOTHER recall. This was the 3rd recall since the car came out. All safety related. Two for seat belts. 1 for window rolling up without stopping. The interior was very pleasant (except the cheap black marble bowling ball wood for the black interior), the Nav system was very very nice. The center armrest which moves forward is a nice feature. Alot of car for 33k. Best value out there in fact. Hell I would easily take that car over a 40k BMW 330 without question. HID, 260hp motor in all. BUT..... I went back and forth with the test drive. When I drove the TL-S. NO LOOKS!!! When I drove a GS400. DAMN NEAR EVERYONE LOOKS!! Plus-the TL-S IS A HONDA ACCORD with a bunch of goodies. Same platform. Accords are nice mind you,but not for 32K. The GS is so so quit inside. The TL-S is LOUD. The GS4 hauls. The TL-S is not bad. Plus who gets excited over a Acura these days? Lexus's get more attention then BMW's and Benz's, plus they easily have more panache then either of them. When was the last time you heard someone say "oohh, he has a Mercedes?or a BMW (never happens), or a Acura? Only a few cars get much attention these days from the general public. Those would be Porsche, Viper, Lexus (any model), and the ultra expensive cars. Not much is said about the others, and believe me, I have owned cars from just about every marque except for Ferrari,Lambo, and Volvo. Lexus's and Porsche's always entice something in people.

TL-S issues:

New Acura paint process is criticized for excessive chipping
3 Recalls:
Seat belt
Seat belt
Automatic window switch diffective

Plus the TL-S is built in the US with mostly US parts.

Look at a new TL-S, pay particular attention to how the various panels compare to each other. Bumbers do not line up with the fenders, etc.... Not a very well built car IMO. The Acura RL is niceand built much better for a cruiser, but some mistakes were made on the TL-S. Test drive both cars on the same day and you will see that a 3 year old Lexus GS400 simply outclasses a NEW Acura or BMW. No question.

Quick Reply: To all owners of 98 GS400 models, please HELP!!!