GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Turbo GS300 or V300 engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 03:56 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a place online that sells V300 engines and I know there is a turbo kit and a supercharger kit coming out soon for the GS300, so what do you think is the best bet? I'd assume a turbo would make more power but be less reliable than a super charger plus you have turbo lag to deal with when you have one larger turbo instead of two smaller ones.

Then there's the option of throwing a V300 engine into the car which gives you miles of moding if you like but what's the cost of an engine swap? I'm sure due to the Jap/USA differences it's not as simple as changing out the engine.

I'm still thinking for the cost of trading my GS300 for a GS400, I can mod the GS300 to put out more HP/TQ than a GS400 and still have money left for other stuff.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-01, 04:55 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default ...it all depends

SpectraGS3,

Before you jump the gun on turbocharging your GS or engine swapping there's some questions you have to ask yourself.

What is your budget?
How much anticipated horsepower range are you aiming for?
How much time can you be without your car.

About turbo lag, it is all relative to turbosizing. In terms of efficiency, a supercharger cannot beat a turbo (or V300's twin ceramic turbo for that matter).

You're right about the engine swap... it's not just an engine swap. You need to customize/rework the fuel system, drivetrain, ECU, cooling, heater/ac.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-01, 10:37 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

i would go for the turbo kit for your GS3 and not the V300. Less work and money but the performance will be there and many mods can also be done.
AS for trading in your 3 for a 4. well, I think that there will be a turbo kit some time this year for the GS4. Its really up to you if you want to spend the money for the 400. If you deicde on keeping the 300 and go with the turbo. There are shops out there that are making it as we speak. I'll wait for until the turbo for the 400 comes out

good luck!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-01, 11:11 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by y2kgs
i would go for the turbo kit for your GS3 and not the V300. Less work and money but the performance will be there and many mods can also be done.
AS for trading in your 3 for a 4. well, I think that there will be a turbo kit some time this year for the GS4. Its really up to you if you want to spend the money for the 400. If you deicde on keeping the 300 and go with the turbo. There are shops out there that are making it as we speak. I'll wait for until the turbo for the 400 comes out

good luck!!!!!!!
y2kgs,

Less work and more money... hmm are you positive? I can tell you it's alot of time. Are you saying a turbo kit is just a matter of bolting on a turbo and manifold and running an intercooler? Wish it was so easy. You have to worry about fuel return, detonation management, engine management, fuel pressure regulators (in-tank? instead of on fuel rail), retun lines, fuel pump, tranny coolers, oil coolers, fuel injector sizing, idling etc. Also, there are not a lot of tuner parts readily available for the naturally aspirated GS. The Aristo V300 is bolting on existant factory parts minus fuel return and customing the driveline to take the more robust 4-speed auto tranny. Have you seen the HyperRev for the Aristo and Supra... I can tell you they are outdated. Well my two cents that is.
Old 06-10-01, 11:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GS BIBLE HyperREV vol. 34 was published I think back in April of 99'. Too bad nothing much is new for them to publish a part 2 or something. (Even R32 GT-R got a new one!!! RX-7 is on the 3rd!!!):eek:
Old 06-10-01, 11:28 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

SpectraGS3,

well if you think that the v300 motor buy is better than go for it.
FYI> here is a shop in LA that are almost done with a turbo kit for the gs300. won't say the shops name just yet. Give it about a month or two for it to be done.
yes, it is a bolt-on kit
Old 06-10-01, 11:34 PM
Aristov3o0
Pole Position

first the v300 engine and intalled cost around 20g... i think that too much but that wha the shops quoted me... I will go for the turbo kit....

hyperrev has 2nd vol. for the supra... Its not that out dated..
gs is not really out dated eather .... what else new things came out for the gs that u can put into a book ...
Old 06-11-01, 01:03 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the V300 engine and other components will run about 15k installed (still alot tho.)

HyperRev is more than just engine stuff. Suspension, aero kits, accessories, etc. etc. So other than some new engine parts (most of them for GTE engine anyways) the Supra HyperRev will do Aristos no good.

New aeros, new wheels, interior components, etc....... are all new.

But yeah not enough to be made into a book.
Old 06-11-01, 01:44 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Off the topic but could one of you guys tell me the exact name of the "GS bible ". Hyper Rev ? Vol ? Also how much does it cost ? Do you think i can order it at Barnes & Noble or Books A million or specialty store?
Old 06-11-01, 10:38 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Aristov3o0
first the v300 engine and intalled cost around 20g... i think that too much but that wha the shops quoted me... I will go for the turbo kit....

hyperrev has 2nd vol. for the supra... Its not that out dated..
gs is not really out dated eather .... what else new things came out for the gs that u can put into a book ...
...close but I paid a lot less than 20K for the initial V300 configuration.

Gee... what is outdated? More cosmetic products, fuel controllers, wheels, in-dash systems, a gangload of electronics (Blitz, Apex'i, and the near flawless Mine's ECU). FYI, HyperRev 2nd vol. for the Supra is outdated too. How did we end up on the Supra topic anyways? Well, Supra 2nd does not have too much expertise on the '98+ Supras with the VVT-i system the most they offered was "don't mess with the intake cam." Like duh! I bet you don't know too much about the F-Con S, the HKS Super AFC and how it will allow smooth idling while using larger 550CC injectors, the VVT-i controller and the trust twin turbo kits (spools up a lot faster than the 2835)? That is my justification for the Aristo (as well as Supra revision).
Old 06-11-01, 10:44 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default and another thing

I am still a tad bit skeptical on the bolt-on turbo issue. Unless the kit is going to allow low boost (gee a whole 60-80 hp) how will the fuel system and plumbing work? I am not an ASE certified mechanic but what is going to happen with the weak low-volt GS300 fuel pump, fuel return, and dinky stock injectors... don't tell me additional fuel injector controller right?

Food for thought... Have you ever wondered why XS Engineering stopped its campaign for the GS turbo kits?
Old 06-11-01, 02:33 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

You guys have made good points.

15k for a V300 engine swap is a bit high, but in contrast to swaping a GS300 for a GS400, it's only around 5k more but the V300 engine can be tweaked a good bit past it's from factory output of 280 hp, 332 tq right? Supra TT's are easily pushed into the 450 range, anyone know what it takes to get a V300 in this range, it's the same engine right?

I know the bolt on turbo kits for the GS300 will have to be reliable for anyone to really consider it, so I assume this means little boost and under 100 hp gain. How about a super charger then? More reliable, less gain but less reworking of the fuel system and other components?

I'm assuming a supercharger or turbo setup will run around 7k installed (based on current kits for the older GS300). A turbo/superchared GS300 is going to put out more hp/tq (most likely) than a GS400 but it's going to require higher revs and more engine wear, perhaps the cost of getting a GS400 with intake and exaust should be enough to please and still be reliable.
Old 10-10-01, 03:35 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

How much does the V300 Engine Cost ???
And who is selling them ???

If I can get a hold of some V300 engines and beat the prices of the other people would anyone here be intrestead ??
Old 10-11-01, 06:52 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

toyotmoto has a turbo kit for the gs300 98+ and it maitins the vvti...and it makes alot more than 60-80hp....and dosent use additional injectors.....just look at this months Turbo magazine....XS has an is300 that dynoed at 13psi but only drives at7psi due to shifting issues.....toyomoto has a 606rwhp is300 that shifts fine....no additional injectors......i highly reccommend the turbo kit..it will destroy any supercharger....and if you go for the upper stages you will kill S/C GS400/430......also as far as lag....the centrifical S/C have lag just like a turbo...they depend on engine rpms to make boost...so you might get like 1-2 psi down low and it builds boost as the rpms climb.....a turbo gs300 will kill an S/C gs300...Jeff
sc300turbo@aol.com
Old 10-11-01, 09:43 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A question for V300

V300, if I am not mistaking, you currently have a V300 single turbo engine.
This is a vvti engine, right?
Isn't it difficult to get parts for that engine since the TT vvti engine was never sold in a car in the US?

Thanks,

Richie

Quick Reply: Turbo GS300 or V300 engine swap?