GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where to get the 01+ taillight housing with the white turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05 | 10:24 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
This is what people are referring to:

Funny, I never saw this taillights on their website....hmm. Looks decent, I still prefer the crystal clear JP ones....
Old 04-13-05 | 11:49 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Dont understand why the JP is so much... Is it realy THAT expensive to make?

If they sold them for like 600 or so they would sell them by the dozen.
Old 04-13-05 | 11:57 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, personally if another company can make something comparable to the jp then it's great news. it's about supply and demand i guess. carson is copying off the ugo roof spoiler coz' ugo doesn't make them anymore, and if someone can make mass quantity of the clear taillights then it's great news
hmmm ......
Old 04-14-05 | 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
hmmm ......
wha?! what did i say?!
Old 04-14-05 | 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by LsportGS4
Dont understand why the JP is so much... Is it realy THAT expensive to make?

If they sold them for like 600 or so they would sell them by the dozen.
yup, it's costing jp A LOT OF money to make them. they aren't really making money in these. body kits, i suppose that's where the money is

600 jp taillights, it's just not going to happen i can tell you that much
Old 04-14-05 | 03:18 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

yup, it's costing jp A LOT OF money to make them. they aren't really making money in these. body kits, i suppose that's where the money is

600 jp taillights, it's just not going to happen i can tell you that much
Same w/ the body kit... Sure it looks good... But the price is rediculous.

I havnt seen anyone w/ the kit besides the one on here...

Do they realy make money? Seems like not very many people buy stuff from them.
Old 04-14-05 | 03:41 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

JP thrives on Exclusivity and the pricing helps keep it that way. This is no different than comparing pricing of bodykits for Hondas versus bodykits for Mercedes. There are several reasons why they cost more, but not all of them are necessarily justified.

Last point, I'm pretty sure JP is not too concerned about selling a lot. The owners have other sources of income.
Old 04-14-05 | 06:38 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

for the effort that goes into making these i don't think JP would ever care to try to mass produce them. they probably only make 100.00-150.00 profit on these when said and done..
Old 04-14-05 | 08:08 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

You all say that its expensive to make JP tails and thats why they cost so much right? Then why are the clear 98-00 taillights the same price. The same with the clear LS430 tails. There also an arm and a leg. I dont belive there excuse. All of there products are priced high because of the uniqueness. Look at there body kits or Grilles there all high priced. Its like the Gucci of the car parts world. They dont make the lights themselves. If the company that makes them has the machines already for the other then then why would it cost more to make them. The clear piece can be injection molded. If APC can do it and sell them for $300 for crap cheap looking tails. Just double the retail and put more effort in producing a better product. Koiti(sp.) can make them how hard would it be to make them in clear instead of amber. Just skip the amber dye. Im sure many would disagree with me but thats my 0.02 cents .
Old 04-14-05 | 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by bluelex
for the effort that goes into making these i don't think JP would ever care to try to mass produce them. they probably only make 100.00-150.00 profit on these when said and done..
you are RIGHT on adrian
Old 04-14-05 | 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

the price isn't ridiculous imho. look at other jdm bumper kits (4 piece), and it can go 3k easy (tom's, classy sport, etc... you name it). jp is around 4k or so i forgot? but you get 4 door caps too. i think the price is justified for what you get

and you don't look at the US market, to be honest, i think jp japan can care less about the US market. they have more market in japan that they can live with i think. they are big and exclusive in japan, they got a lot of business there
Old 04-14-05 | 09:16 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

slightly off topic

but can you take a FG front bumper and make it POLY

like take a mold and make it poly ???
Old 04-14-05 | 10:22 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

the price isn't ridiculous imho. look at other jdm bumper kits (4 piece), and it can go 3k easy (tom's, classy sport, etc... you name it). jp is around 4k or so i forgot? but you get 4 door caps too. i think the price is justified for what you get

and you don't look at the US market, to be honest, i think jp japan can care less about the US market. they have more market in japan that they can live with i think. they are big and exclusive in japan, they got a lot of business there
I read some where on here a while back that the JP kit was like 10k...Maybe they were exadurating... Thats why i thought it was rediculous. Now that i have actualy seen the real price it isnt too bad. But the tails to me are tho.... (either way the 01+ tails do it for me).
Old 04-14-05 | 10:54 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by GammaLex
You all say that its expensive to make JP tails and thats why they cost so much right? Then why are the clear 98-00 taillights the same price. The same with the clear LS430 tails. There also an arm and a leg. I dont belive there excuse. All of there products are priced high because of the uniqueness. Look at there body kits or Grilles there all high priced. Its like the Gucci of the car parts world. They dont make the lights themselves. If the company that makes them has the machines already for the other then then why would it cost more to make them. The clear piece can be injection molded. If APC can do it and sell them for $300 for crap cheap looking tails. Just double the retail and put more effort in producing a better product. Koiti(sp.) can make them how hard would it be to make them in clear instead of amber. Just skip the amber dye. Im sure many would disagree with me but thats my 0.02 cents .
Well, we can all second guess these companies but in the end, there isn't any other company doing it right now. Maybe it can be done for less but the car is now out of production and no one has stepped up. We can obviously vent about this but it won't really change the status quo.

For the most part, the JP prices are a bit inflated (IMO) but that's what comes with exclusivity. The 98-00 taillights can be DIY cleared but I don't think JP makes them that way. Similar to the 01+ tails, they put the tails together that way so it is as clean as if it came from the factory. Will 90% of the people out there notice or care? I doubt it. Well, JP caters to mostly the 10% that do care. It's just a different business model, whether or not we agree with it.
Old 04-14-05 | 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

I read some where on here a while back that the JP kit was like 10k...Maybe they were exadurating... Thats why i thought it was rediculous. Now that i have actualy seen the real price it isnt too bad. But the tails to me are tho.... (either way the 01+ tails do it for me).
ummm, i don't think it's that expensive. if you buy all the gadges including the roof spoiler and hood spoiler, eye lids, etc... maybe it will push up the price, but i always thought the jp kits is around 4k to 5k max? but then i only heard on the prices i didn't really quote it myself

Quick Reply: Where to get the 01+ taillight housing with the white turn signal?