GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where to get the 01+ taillight housing with the white turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05 | 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, we can all second guess these companies but in the end, there isn't any other company doing it right now. Maybe it can be done for less but the car is now out of production and no one has stepped up. We can obviously vent about this but it won't really change the status quo.

For the most part, the JP prices are a bit inflated (IMO) but that's what comes with exclusivity. The 98-00 taillights can be DIY cleared but I don't think JP makes them that way. Similar to the 01+ tails, they put the tails together that way so it is as clean as if it came from the factory. Will 90% of the people out there notice or care? I doubt it. Well, JP caters to mostly the 10% that do care. It's just a different business model, whether or not we agree with it.
that's what i thought too. the 98 taillight is diy, but i have yet to see onethat's perfect. almost always when prying the taillight open you leave marks or scratches along the edge of teh taillight, especially on the black plastic. but on the jp one it's totally seemless, basically they put the taillights together without the amber piece

the taillights are definitely super expensive i don't deny, but neo has a good point that they are very exclusive too. NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE, has been able to duplicate that process yet. and who knows how much trouble jp had to go through to get those taillights, they definitely dont' make those themselves
Old 04-14-05 | 06:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Gamma, hope you don't include me when you talk of "the people saying the tails are expensive cause they are difficult to make".

I stated " There are several reasons why they cost more, but not all of them are necessarily justified." So to elaborate, cost is affected by the difficulty to produce them. That's probably 60-70% of the reason. The second part is JP keeps their prices high to keep them exclusive. The "exclusivity" word has been repeated by Rominl and Neo as well , but I said it first.

This is how JP wants to market their stuff. That's it.

As far as the body kit. There is probably NO OTHER GS body kit on the market that has as many pieces as the JP. If people haven't looked closely, then they don't realize that the kit consists of 8 parts, where most kits only consist of 4 main parts. These extra pieces contribute to the increased price. Also note that the front and rear are complete bumpers, not ADD on pieces, which is again why the kit costs more. Factor in the JP Exclusivity price structure and you have one expensive kit for sure.

Now to compare apples to apples, if you look at the JP roof spoiler, it retails for $380. Steve Ganz has the Ugo copy roof spoiler on sale for more than that !
Old 04-14-05 | 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Gamma, hope you don't include me when you talk of "the people saying the tails are expensive cause they are difficult to make".

I stated " There are several reasons why they cost more, but not all of them are necessarily justified." So to elaborate, cost is affected by the difficulty to produce them. That's probably 60-70% of the reason. The second part is JP keeps their prices high to keep them exclusive. The "exclusivity" word has been repeated by Rominl and Neo as well , but I said it first.

This is how JP wants to market their stuff. That's it.

As far as the body kit. There is probably NO OTHER GS body kit on the market that has as many pieces as the JP. If people haven't looked closely, then they don't realize that the kit consists of 8 parts, where most kits only consist of 4 main parts. These extra pieces contribute to the increased price. Also note that the front and rear are complete bumpers, not ADD on pieces, which is again why the kit costs more. Factor in the JP Exclusivity price structure and you have one expensive kit for sure.

Now to compare apples to apples, if you look at the JP roof spoiler, it retails for $380. Steve Ganz has the Ugo copy roof spoiler on sale for more than that !
very well said glen. personally i wonder how much it cost jp to make those taillights as well. from all the talk and information i have gathered, it does seem to me that jp themselves aren't really making much money off it as well