GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

From IS300 to GS300

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 10:12 AM
YellowRace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From IS300 to GS300

Well, I finally picked up my 2001 GS300 yesterday and I am pretty happy about it, except for a couple of mind boggling things I hope people here can help me clear up.

- Mines doesn't come with Xenon headlights and I want to hook it up. Anyone know which brand is good and how much it would cost? I would prefer the light emit same as the GS.

- I find that my GS300 is extrememly blue. Sometimes it even looks like black. Carfax says the car was good and I bought it certified. Is there such a blue out there ? It is really really dark.

Thanks,

Randy
2001 BLUE GS300
Old 04-13-05, 11:03 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a set of HID's. they will work perfectly with the GS. only asking $215
Old 04-13-05, 11:17 AM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
i have a set of HID's. they will work perfectly with the GS. only asking $215
What are the specs?
Old 04-13-05, 11:20 AM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want HID install from the dealer it will cost 9K. That's what i got qouted. They hav to run new wires. Go aftermarket $300-$450 that a better price
Old 04-13-05, 11:43 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowRace
- Mines doesn't come with Xenon headlights and I want to hook it up. Anyone know which brand is good and how much it would cost? I would prefer the light emit same as the GS.

- I find that my GS300 is extrememly blue. Sometimes it even looks like black. Carfax says the car was good and I bought it certified. Is there such a blue out there ? It is really really dark.
- To get exactly what the OEM HIDs produce, you'd need to get the OEM headlights (housing, ballast. bulbs). The housings are diferent for the halogens and HIDs. Getting an aftermarket kit will be close but not the same. Depending on how lucky you are (timing) or where you buy (dealer, eBay, other classifieds), the cost can range from $400 - $1500. Lexus had different housings over the years and some are more rare than others which equates to the higher cost.

- There was a Blue Onyx color that sounds like what you are describing. It is darker than the Spetra Blue Mica that you see on the earlier GS.
Old 04-13-05, 11:45 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by tommyGS3
if u want HID install from the dealer it will cost 9K. That's what i got qouted. They hav to run new wires. Go aftermarket $300-$450 that a better price
This is probably only if you want the autoleveling feature. If you can live without this (and you'd have to with the aftermarket too), it will be much much less than 9k. I doubt if it actually costs 9k but it is a PITA to retrofit the electronics. I have yet to see a dealer who would actually want to attempt this work. I guess for 9k, it might be worth their while.
Old 04-13-05, 12:52 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
- To get exactly what the OEM HIDs produce, you'd need to get the OEM headlights (housing, ballast. bulbs). The housings are diferent for the halogens and HIDs. Getting an aftermarket kit will be close but not the same. Depending on how lucky you are (timing) or where you buy (dealer, eBay, other classifieds), the cost can range from $400 - $1500. Lexus had different housings over the years and some are more rare than others which equates to the higher cost.

- There was a Blue Onyx color that sounds like what you are describing. It is darker than the Spetra Blue Mica that you see on the earlier GS.
Thanks. I probably have the Blue Onyx. I'll post pics soon. I had it tinted the same day I picked up the car. 20% babe.

My friend will bring me to a shop to install the 8000k HID tomorrow for $380.00.
Bad thing is that it only comes with a 3 months warranty. I think I will try it out.
No way in hell will I pay $9 grand. As long as I get better visibility and not just white-looking bulbs, I'm good. They say this one has a blueish tint to it.
Old 04-13-05, 12:54 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
This is probably only if you want the autoleveling feature. If you can live without this (and you'd have to with the aftermarket too), it will be much much less than 9k. I doubt if it actually costs 9k but it is a PITA to retrofit the electronics. I have yet to see a dealer who would actually want to attempt this work. I guess for 9k, it might be worth their while.
Auto levelling, what is it ? Do I have this in my halogen lights right now ?
Old 04-13-05, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

8000k?! don't do it, it's so blue and dim.... useless....

get 6000k, that's the max i would go. and get philips kits, and only that. don't get those cheapo korean or taiwanese stuff, you will regret. around 500 bucks
Old 04-13-05, 01:59 PM
Neo
The One

Auto levelling, what is it ? Do I have this in my halogen lights right now ?
The auto leveling only comes on cars with HIDs. There are sensors on the car that helps the lights adjust themtselves. I guess Lexus thought that the HIDs are so bright that it needs a self adjusting mechanism.
Old 04-13-05, 02:05 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
8000k?! don't do it, it's so blue and dim.... useless....

get 6000k, that's the max i would go. and get philips kits, and only that. don't get those cheapo korean or taiwanese stuff, you will regret. around 500 bucks
Really? ****, I kinda have it ordered already for tomorrow.

Cuz' my friend has one and it "looked" like the brightness my IS300 used to have.
My other friend has a 12,000k, but that one I didn't want. That was so bright and purple that he got pulled over twice by police. I guess I'll let you guys know how my HID turns out...
Old 04-13-05, 02:09 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on the purchase the color is blue onyx that your talkig about, very nice color, very dark, lots of potential. good luck with the car.
Old 04-13-05, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Cuz' my friend has one and it "looked" like the brightness my IS300 used to have.
My other friend has a 12,000k, but that one I didn't want. That was so bright and purple that he got pulled over twice by police. I guess I'll let you guys know how my HID turns out...
seems like you are stuck, sorry about that

let's see how it turns out. if you feel good about it then it's cool i guess
Old 04-13-05, 02:19 PM
Neo
The One

Just in case, the Kelvin ratings has to do with color and not brightness. The 12,000K output is not as bright as the 6000k. It is more purple in color where as the 6000k are white with a hint of blue. The OEM 4100k/4300k bulbs are white too but will have just a bit of yellow left. These produce the brightest output.

This is all on the halogen reflector housings. When these bulbs are in projectors, the lights take on different properties.
Old 04-13-05, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

also, most people think 8000k or 12000k are so bright coz' when they look at the headlights, the light are scattered everywhere. that's coz' the color wavelength is different from the spec of reflective housing design, so light goes everywhere and glare people

but on the road the light is at minimal

Quick Reply: From IS300 to GS300