GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinions Please, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 07:07 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jroosh
Aren't the RX wheels too narrow for the GS?

They look great.
They're 7 inches wide versus 7.5 stock 17s i had on. Essentialy no difference at all. Spacers were added to the rear, but i left the fronts cuz I was happy with the look. Thanks for the comment.
Old 04-14-05, 07:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JungleJoe
They're 7 inches wide versus 7.5 stock 17s i had on. Essentialy no difference at all. Spacers were added to the rear, but i left the fronts cuz I was happy with the look. Thanks for the comment.
actually, stock 17s are 17x8. stock 16s are 16x7.5. now new 06 GS 17s are 17x7.5

those RX wheels do flow great though, and 225/40s not bad. Maybe you could have gone 235/40?
Old 04-14-05, 07:25 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the RX wheels flow really well with the GS
Old 04-14-05, 07:27 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
actually, stock 17s are 17x8. stock 16s are 16x7.5. now new 06 GS 17s are 17x7.5

those RX wheels do flow great though, and 225/40s not bad. Maybe you could have gone 235/40?
Thats right. my bad...
I initially wanted the 235/40 but my tire guy told me that it was a "bit" too wide for a 7" rim. Since he's been installing my rims and tires for over 8 years now, i couldn't argue with the guy. He gives me alot of extra attention when i role in.

thanks ChuckB
Old 04-14-05, 09:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, not bad actually, the wheels fit on the gs pretty nice, i didn't expect that
Old 04-15-05, 03:17 AM
YellowRace
Driver

JungleJoe,

I have the 01 GS300 w/o NAV. Would it work if I just get the DDX7015 and KNA-DV4100?
All I want is a NAV in the car. And what about our stock 6-disc changer. Will that still work with these equipments?
Old 04-15-05, 07:35 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YellowRace
JungleJoe,

I have the 01 GS300 w/o NAV. Would it work if I just get the DDX7015 and KNA-DV4100?
All I want is a NAV in the car. And what about our stock 6-disc changer. Will that still work with these equipments?
I initially wanted to keep as much stock as possible. Keeping the amp and changer was just not possible after changing the head unit. Yes the Kenwood system will yield a complete navigation for any vehicle. I choose the Kenwood cause it was as near as a stock look as i was going to get, then the sound bug bit me and i got everything else. With the ddx7015 you are able to play mp3, and so one dvd full of mp3s will give you more storage then a 6 disk changer.
hope this help man. The power from the head unit is enough to power all the stock speakers without any problems at all.
Old 04-15-05, 07:40 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

car is lookin good! 1 think i suggest, is replace the 98-00 tailights, w/ the newer 01-05 tails!!!
Old 04-15-05, 08:14 AM
YellowRace
Driver

I initially wanted to keep as much stock as possible. Keeping the amp and changer was just not possible after changing the head unit. Yes the Kenwood system will yield a complete navigation for any vehicle. I choose the Kenwood cause it was as near as a stock look as i was going to get, then the sound bug bit me and i got everything else. With the ddx7015 you are able to play mp3, and so one dvd full of mp3s will give you more storage then a 6 disk changer.
hope this help man. The power from the head unit is enough to power all the stock speakers without any problems at all.
It helps... but it's expensive.
I was hoping to get a DVD Nav system for under $1000.
Old 04-15-05, 08:33 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

It helps... but it's expensive.
I was hoping to get a DVD Nav system for under $1000.
1K is not possible man. I spent a lil over 3600 on my audio system for parts alone, i did the installs. I believe the head unit and nav combo can be got for around 1425.00 here in so.cal at wholesalers, not retail. Thats not toooo far from your budget and the difference in sound and convenience is well worth it.
Old 04-15-05, 08:35 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koreanpers
car is lookin good! 1 think i suggest, is replace the 98-00 tailights, w/ the newer 01-05 tails!!!
Thanks for the comment, I glanced at that possibilty but couldn't justify paying 260 (ebay) for it. I still look for them now and again but unless its a reasonble price i'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thanks man.
Old 04-15-05, 08:50 AM
YellowRace
Driver

1K is not possible man. I spent a lil over 3600 on my audio system for parts alone, i did the installs. I believe the head unit and nav combo can be got for around 1425.00 here in so.cal at wholesalers, not retail. Thats not toooo far from your budget and the difference in sound and convenience is well worth it.

hmmm.. thinking thinking.
Too bad our center console is so huge. Otherwise, we can get them units that can hideaway.
Old 04-15-05, 08:56 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

hmmm.. thinking thinking.
Too bad our center console is so huge. Otherwise, we can get them units that can hideaway.
You can get a fold up system. I had an alpine system prior to the kenwood but i didn't like how it consumes the rest of the console. you're still in the same hole no matter which way you go.
Old 04-15-05, 09:23 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the tailight change, I recently did it and love it. Looks more classy.

One question - How do you like having a Freeair sub and an enclosed sub? Does the Freeair sub give you any distortion from the sealed sub's pressure?

I know the factory sub and a Solobaric in the trunk - it made the freeair sub distort like crazy... So much I had to remove it. I really like your idea though... Can you give me some feedback?
Old 04-15-05, 10:38 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whytry
I agree with the tailight change, I recently did it and love it. Looks more classy.

One question - How do you like having a Freeair sub and an enclosed sub? Does the Freeair sub give you any distortion from the sealed sub's pressure?

I know the factory sub and a Solobaric in the trunk - it made the freeair sub distort like crazy... So much I had to remove it. I really like your idea though... Can you give me some feedback?
no distortion what so ever... This is by far the cleanest (highest quality sound) system i have built. Been a sound enthusiust since my teens. Every part of the rear deck has been dynamatted, top and underside. I have a cutoff off 40hz to the free air while the JL enclosed is cuttoff at 100hz. While the JL provides for the mid-low range, the free air completes it with the very low-end. Just have to be carefull when setting the gain level. The free-air only sees about 3/4 the level of gain compared to JL. This ensures the free-air sub will never reach anywhere near it's Xmax during higher volumes and provides very nice responses during moderate and lower levels.

I can't be heard from 3 blocks away and that was never the intent. The sound quality however, would keep Bach and Mozart in their seats for hours.

Quick Reply: Opinions Please, pics inside