GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinions Please, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 11:27 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to da club and congrats on the mods.

Those wheels look amazing on the ride. I actually planned to do the same thing but decided against it because I wanted a wider wheel and at least some sort of lip. They look great though with the color. Very nice and clean.
Old 04-15-05, 01:00 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car and the rims look great on it. I am planning on going the same route w/ swapping out the stock stereo for a double din navigation unit/screen like you did (since my car didn't come w/ the stock navigation).

I was wondering how/where you got the trim ring/dash kit for the screen area of it. It matches up to the stock dash color incredibley well.
Old 04-15-05, 01:19 PM
gs300joe
Driver School Candidate

very nice, I thought about it also, I have a black 04 gs300 15K mi., my stock tires are still good, might do the same when tires go out.
Old 04-15-05, 01:22 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man, very clean.
Old 04-15-05, 01:49 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Nice car and the rims look great on it. I am planning on going the same route w/ swapping out the stock stereo for a double din navigation unit/screen like you did (since my car didn't come w/ the stock navigation).

I was wondering how/where you got the trim ring/dash kit for the screen area of it. It matches up to the stock dash color incredibley well.
Thanks for the comment. The dash kit was purchased on ebay for 45.00 shipped. Becarefull to get the one that actually says "type II" for double din. Its not an auction that is always there, so you're going to have to chime in now and again to search for it. There is a website out there that stocks the double din version but i can't remember the name off hand, they charge 55.00 plus shipping. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-05, 02:47 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

JungleJoe, so the dash kit came that color? did u just specify a color/year code? or did you have to paint it yourself to match the color for the rest of the dash? thanks for hte info.
Old 04-15-05, 03:18 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

JungleJoe, so the dash kit came that color? did u just specify a color/year code? or did you have to paint it yourself to match the color for the rest of the dash? thanks for hte info.
The picture may be a lil misleading, although the kit comes only in standard blk, the actuall color is a dark graphite grey a shade lighter then black. The pictue you are seeing is not giving off this color and the hue may be off. all in all its not a perfect color match in person. I did not paint it.
Old 04-15-05, 03:21 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JungleJoe
no distortion what so ever... This is by far the cleanest (highest quality sound) system i have built. Been a sound enthusiust since my teens. Every part of the rear deck has been dynamatted, top and underside. I have a cutoff off 40hz to the free air while the JL enclosed is cuttoff at 100hz. While the JL provides for the mid-low range, the free air completes it with the very low-end. Just have to be carefull when setting the gain level. The free-air only sees about 3/4 the level of gain compared to JL. This ensures the free-air sub will never reach anywhere near it's Xmax during higher volumes and provides very nice responses during moderate and lower levels.

I can't be heard from 3 blocks away and that was never the intent. The sound quality however, would keep Bach and Mozart in their seats for hours.

Really!!! Very nice!! I am very interested in this same setup. My Kicker solobaric is not what I am looking for, the sound is not really what I want, but I had the sub sitting in the house so I figured why not.... I am looking at changing it already, been a couple weeks.... Where are you located?
Old 04-15-05, 03:24 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

JungleJoe, thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-05, 05:50 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whytry
Really!!! Very nice!! I am very interested in this same setup. My Kicker solobaric is not what I am looking for, the sound is not really what I want, but I had the sub sitting in the house so I figured why not.... I am looking at changing it already, been a couple weeks.... Where are you located?
Sell that Kicker and get a quality JL(w3 or better) or at the least a stage3 Fosgate( or the older He2). Now here's the thing, if you ever have ANY intentions of having 2 drivers in the rear, then don't even bother with the freeair - replacement. The soundwaves produced from 2 drivers will totaly overcome the free air and you well in essence have a zero effect resulting from the freeair. The SPL from 2 12s will be more then enough to get at any low frequencies you would desire and a quality pair will do it accurately (p.s. the enclosure is just as important as the driver)

That said and you want a clean sounding system, make a sealed enclosure to the minimal specs of the sub you choose. Mine was 1.00 - 1.5 cubic ft (i think). so i made the box at roughly 1.1 cubic ft (.1 to take care of the driver's volume displacement. no polyfill)

There are those whom build a sealed box beyond specs as to get that deeper note extension, but inturn lose out on the "punchier" notes. My JL has a very nice "punch" to it with a clean deep note at moderate levels, this is where the free-air takes over. At moderate-medium listening levels the free-air provides that extra extension of deep bass. At higher-gut wrenching volumes the JL totally takes over and this is where you need to make sure that the maximum level played will at no point cause the free-air to travel beyond its maximum excursion level. Sound is still being produced by the free-air but all that is heard is the sealed driver.

I hope this made sense, i was trying to be as clear as possible.
I am in the OC area os So CAL.
Old 04-15-05, 05:53 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

JungleJoe, thanks for the info.
Glad to help man. Im just a newbie putting in his dues
Old 04-15-05, 09:51 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand box styles, enclosure space, etc. I was planning on running 1 sub and the freeair. My ideal goal is to have the freeair on all the time and have a toggle for the sub in the enclosure. This way I can turn it on and off as needed. When taking clients out to lunch, dinner, etc. I do not want to have the loud boomy bass, just clean and accented low notes. Does this make sense?

With that being said, what freeair sub are you running? And for the sealed I was looking at the 10w6 or maybe a 12w6.

This also comes with another thought. Did you ever just run the sealed sub, or did you upgrade them both at the same time? I was thinking about running a 10w6 or maybe a 10w7 in the rear deck and build an enclosure around it and use closed cell foam to make it a tight seal where the rear deck has more curves, etc.....

I wish you were up here in NorCal so I can check it out. But oh well...
Old 04-15-05, 11:48 PM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whytry
I understand box styles, enclosure space, etc. I was planning on running 1 sub and the freeair. My ideal goal is to have the freeair on all the time and have a toggle for the sub in the enclosure. This way I can turn it on and off as needed. When taking clients out to lunch, dinner, etc. I do not want to have the loud boomy bass, just clean and accented low notes. Does this make sense?

With that being said, what freeair sub are you running? And for the sealed I was looking at the 10w6 or maybe a 12w6.

This also comes with another thought. Did you ever just run the sealed sub, or did you upgrade them both at the same time? I was thinking about running a 10w6 or maybe a 10w7 in the rear deck and build an enclosure around it and use closed cell foam to make it a tight seal where the rear deck has more curves, etc.....

I wish you were up here in NorCal so I can check it out. But oh well...
makes perfect sense. Yes i have had them both seperately powered and this was during the tuning process to get the right levels. The free air itself has a pretty good response but you are VERY limited to the amount of bass it produces, again it is meant for moderate levels. It does sound pretty good, 5 folds better then the stock but you will definately be losing out on the 120-100hz range. I wouldn't recommend a 10" only for the rear enclosed sub. I previously had an MB Quart PWE 10" installed and while the response i got from it was execptional for a 10" it left me craving for just a bit more when i'm on road dealing with the road noises and my flash backs of the early years bumping Sir Mix a lot.

As far as building an enclosure for the back... I've thought about it and really couldnt see a way of doing it without a mickey mouse badge. You must remember that the enclosure is just as important as the Sub. I don't see any practical way of providing for a solid and extremly rigid structure a sub enclosure requires. Even if there was a soild way of fiberglassing it, the asthetics that will result is a big hump hanging from the rear deck and the only way to make it look right is to total enclose that whole portion of the trunk. Why not just keep it free air and have a sealed enclosure? I shelved that idea within a few hours.

I am running the old school Kicker FS10 no longer in production but available on ebay. Running a non free-air sub in an infinite baffle enclosure will yeild very poor results no matter what brand of sub you are using. The enclosure is just as important.

hope this helps.
Old 04-16-05, 12:24 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

damn those RX wheels look DAMN good on the GS...
Old 04-16-05, 04:51 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bet JungleJoe wishes he didn't mention he was in the audio business right about now

j/k

Quick Reply: Opinions Please, pics inside