GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS Blinker Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 09:05 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsmart
where do I get blinker mirrors at or just give it up?
You can get them HERE!
Old 04-20-05, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods420
I know I was a fool to buy them or want them.
It was at the time I just bought my car, I was looking at custom stuff and never saw those. (for good reason). Also the picture you see is the best picture possiable. When I opned the box and saw them, I wanted to shoot him and then myself. The outside of the light which should be hard plastic, was a very soft thin plastic. And is was sealed with red tape. That is the border, red tape. No way you could take them through a car wash, or even rain. I tried to get my money back, but it did not happen.
I also feel bad. I resold them on ebay and used that picture. Someone else bought
I am sure he wanted to shoot me too.
damn, sorry to hear that man.... but i guess you did what you could
Old 04-20-05, 01:13 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the use in buying mirrors that don't fit, you guys say the KAZZ or whatever mirrors dont fit so I wouldn't touch them. which ones fit UGO?
Old 04-20-05, 01:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what the use in buying mirrors that don't fit, you guys say the KAZZ or whatever mirrors dont fit so I wouldn't touch them. which ones fit UGO?
There are no UGO mirrors.
Old 04-20-05, 02:16 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

what the use in buying mirrors that don't fit, you guys say the KAZZ or whatever mirrors dont fit so I wouldn't touch them.
From what I was told, because of a minor difference in the mirror sizes between the US & Japanese Lexus models, the mirror does not sit perfectly on the passenger side on US models. From most angles and from a distance the gap is not visible, but depending on how attentive to detail you are you may not want them. As far all other Japanese-manufactured blinker mirror covers, they have the same problem. The gap is most visible on the inside corner near the base of the mirror.
Old 04-20-05, 02:38 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by EmeraldLexuSC3
From what I was told, because of a minor difference in the mirror sizes between the US & Japanese Lexus models, the mirror does not sit perfectly on the passenger side on US models. From most angles and from a distance the gap is not visible, but depending on how attentive to detail you are you may not want them. As far all other Japanese-manufactured blinker mirror covers, they have the same problem. The gap is most visible on the inside corner near the base of the mirror.
It is too bad I did not take before pics so that people can see. Different people will envision different things from a description.
Old 04-20-05, 05:13 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
It is too bad I did not take before pics so that people can see. Different people will envision different things from a description.

Yeah that last description was correct, but here's why.

Put it simple. Japan mirrors are for right hand drive cars. If you look, your right and left mirrors are not exactly symmetrical because the angle is different. The Toms and other mirrors for JDM cars have all the wrong angles and are the opposite compared to USD mirrors.

You can make the Tom's fit better by softening them with a heat gun and re-shaping the plastic to fit snug. Yes , these parts are plastic. This will wrinkle the outside shape a little, but it will fit tight against the mirror. You would just need to use a little body filler and some sanding on the outside to re-shape it to look cosmetically good. again. If you don't do this, there will be some large gaps between the cover and the factory part. I re-worked Neo's Tom's mirrors in this way and when completed, the covers actually almost held in place without anything holding it.

Needless to say, you need to do this BEFORE painting them.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-20-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 05:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yeah that last description was correct, but here's why.

Put it simple. Japan mirrors are for right hand drive cars. If you look, your right and left mirrors are not exactly symmetrical because the angle is different. The Toms and other mirrors for JDM cars have all the wrong angles and are the opposite compared to USD mirrors.

You can make the Tom's fit better by softening them with a heat gun and re-shaping the plastic to fit snug. Yes , these parts are plastic. This will wrinkle the outside shape a little, but it will fit tight against the mirror. You would just need to use a little body filler and some sanding on the outside to re-shape it to look cosmetically good. again. If you don't do this, there will be some large gaps between the cover and the factory part. I re-worked Neo's Tom's mirrors in this way and when completed, the covers actually almost held in place without anything holding it.

Needless to say, you need to do this BEFORE painting them.
allright NEO-lets see some good close pics of your mirrors?
Old 04-20-05, 08:16 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by chuckb
allright NEO-lets see some good close pics of your mirrors?
I posted these from awhile back:

I am considering selling these in case anyone is interested. No custom work needed.
Old 04-20-05, 08:23 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo

I am considering selling these in case anyone is interested. No custom work needed.

Too bad we didn't take "before" shots. The gap was all along the inside and the top. You can also see the angles of where the cover ends; that's what I was talking about the left and right side angles being different between Japanese and US mirrors. These covers are still removable, not molded in (Neo's choice), but if they were molded, I don't think you could tell that these were covers. A "competent " body shop could accomplish this.

Of course, changing a burn't out bulb wouldn't be very ez.

Neo - If you sell, do I get commission?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-20-05 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 01:08 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
These covers are still removable, not molded in (Neo's choice), but if they were molded, I don't think you could tell that these were covers. A "competent " body shop could accomplish this.
Sorry. Bad choice of word. I meant molded as in formed/shaped.

Glen is right that it can be taken an extra step and have the cover molded (in car terms) to get rid of the cover edges. This involves either leaving the car or taking out the whole mirror for this work to be done BEFORE painting. At the time, this was not an option so I just had the covers painted by themselves.
Old 04-21-05, 04:37 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here to make life easier for everyone, SOARISTO (an awesome CL member from Japan) has a cartoon drawing of what Neo is talking about.....

Now of course the pic was talking about RHD cars, but the same rule applies (in reverse) to you LHD people who drive on the wrong side of the road! hehehehe....
Old 04-21-05, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i have sat in a car (US spec) with jdm mirrors. gosh was that funny, coz' i was in the pessenger side and i saw traffic perfect on both mirrors. almost like i can tell the driver the traffic around
Old 04-21-05, 09:20 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why does the outside of the mirror make a diff? Couldnt you just adjust the mirror on the inside itself to see diff angles? Also why does 1 side not fit? You would think either side doesnt fit
Old 04-21-05, 10:11 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i have sat in a car (US spec) with jdm mirrors. gosh was that funny, coz' i was in the pessenger side and i saw traffic perfect on both mirrors. almost like i can tell the driver the traffic around
LOL. I can see what you mean. I this case, though, since they are just covers, this issue is not a problem.

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Why does the outside of the mirror make a diff? Couldnt you just adjust the mirror on the inside itself to see diff angles? Also why does 1 side not fit? You would think either side doesnt fit
In the case of the covers, you are right. The outside does not make a difference in the usage of the mirror itself. As for fit, I would not say that one fit and one does not. Once side is more acceptable than the others. After RMMGS4 and I looked at the covers on the car, we dedided (and he did the work ) to reshape both covers. One side was close and needed less work

Quick Reply: GS Blinker Mirrors