GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS Blinker Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 12:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually even the cover housing angles are different. the reason is that the motor for the mirror inside has only that much range to adjust for the certain position of the driver, so they have to somewhat rely on the base angle of the mirror housing to make sure that the range is enough for that driver position

just think of it this way. say you get the RHD housings on our car, and assume you have unlimited adjustment range for the actual mirror itself, by the time you adjust the mirror so you see well from your left driver seat, the mirror will be so angled that the edge might be outside of the housing already. now imagine you have to cover drivers from 5 ft to over 6ft
Old 04-21-05, 02:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually even the cover housing angles are different. the reason is that the motor for the mirror inside has only that much range to adjust for the certain position of the driver, so they have to somewhat rely on the base angle of the mirror housing to make sure that the range is enough for that driver position

just think of it this way. say you get the RHD housings on our car, and assume you have unlimited adjustment range for the actual mirror itself, by the time you adjust the mirror so you see well from your left driver seat, the mirror will be so angled that the edge might be outside of the housing already. now imagine you have to cover drivers from 5 ft to over 6ft
But Rom, unless you replacing the entire housing with a JDM housing, this issue will not come up. The covers in this thread will not affect the functionality of the US mirrors since none of the "guts" is changed.
Old 04-21-05, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
But Rom, unless you replacing the entire housing with a JDM housing, this issue will not come up. The covers in this thread will not affect the functionality of the US mirrors since none of the "guts" is changed.
nonno, i know, i was just trying to explain why the mirror covers are different on the two, and thus why the mirror covers from japan won't fit perfect

sorry if i add more confusion instead of help
Old 04-21-05, 09:57 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by rominl
nonno, i know, i was just trying to explain why the mirror covers are different on the two, and thus why the mirror covers from japan won't fit perfect
Gotcha!
Old 04-21-05, 11:44 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Neo,
How did you run the wiring through the housing? By drilling a hole?
Old 04-22-05, 12:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by EmeraldLexuSC3
Neo,
How did you run the wiring through the housing? By drilling a hole?
yup you need to drill a hole
Old 04-22-05, 06:56 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Question

I have a dumb questions!!
Why not just use the covers as templates and cut the lense opening into the
housing itself!
But then again maybe not!! the more I look at it, the end tip of the lense with the cover
flares out!

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 04-22-05 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 06:59 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

housing itself!
sounds logical to me. a dremel and some creativity and some leds........ oh yah, and a practice mirror
Old 04-22-05, 08:18 PM
Neo
The One

The OEM mirrors have very little space inside. The guts take up almost all the space. The aftermarket covers actually create a little room for the blinker and wiring. The Tom's blinker is relatively small so it might be doable to build it into the OEM mirror housing. There is a shape to the blinkers though and it may not contour well to the OEM housing. There would be a little more filler work than just cutting.

The actual MB blinkers are huge so they will not work. This is why when people retro the MB blinkers, they have to rebuild the part of the shell where the lights are to accommodate the blinker size and wiring.

As for the larger blinkers on the newer covers, I don't know. I tried to get a hold of the blinkers only but no luck. I have no idea how big/thick those are.
Old 04-22-05, 08:29 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could you use just say an entire MB blinker mirror?
Old 04-22-05, 08:37 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by chuckb
could you use just say an entire MB blinker mirror?
I have not heard of anyone trying. You'd have to find away to cleanly bolt on the MB housing to the GS. Then you'd have to find a way to wire the OEM electronics for the mirror adjustments. I don't know what features come with the MB mirrors but you will also lose the autodim and defrost features of the OEM GS ones. If the MB comes with its own features, you'd have to find a way to wire it up to the GS too.

It's lots of work doing it this way too.
Old 04-22-05, 09:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look ata MB mirror cover. It is a different shape than ours and the mounting on the door is not the same at all. The stock GS glass wont be the same shape either.

As Neo said, there is no room inside the stock GS mirror cover for anything big.

I am currently grafting a MB mirror cover on to a GS cover. It is a ton of work. I can post some pics if anyone is interested. The bottom line is none of the options mentioned are simple add on jobs. It involves a lot of custom work and bodyworking skills. Do a search and you will see several have succesfully molded MB blinkers to GS housings. If you are not doing it yourself, it will cost MORE than having mirror covers installed. I think most people paid between $600-800 to have it done.

Your easiest option is the Toms or other mirror covers.
Old 04-22-05, 09:21 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

housing itself!
But then again maybe not!! the more I look at it, the end tip of the lense with the cover
flares out!
You can't. If you do that, your mirrors motor won't fit anymore. Even my custom blinker mirrors have to be flared out and thickened in some areas in order to fit the blinkers AND the motor in.
Old 04-22-05, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Take a look ata MB mirror cover. It is a different shape than ours and the mounting on the door is not the same at all. The stock GS glass wont be the same shape either.

As Neo said, there is no room inside the stock GS mirror cover for anything big.

I am currently grafting a MB mirror cover on to a GS cover. It is a ton of work. I can post some pics if anyone is interested. The bottom line is none of the options mentioned are simple add on jobs. It involves a lot of custom work and bodyworking skills. Do a search and you will see several have succesfully molded MB blinkers to GS housings. If you are not doing it yourself, it will cost MORE than having mirror covers installed. I think most people paid between $600-800 to have it done.

Your easiest option is the Toms or other mirror covers.
i am sure we all wanna see pics
Old 04-23-05, 09:26 AM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

We all would like to see some pics!

Quick Reply: GS Blinker Mirrors