GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 GS 300 Daytime running lights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-01, 05:27 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I want to replace the weak daytime running lights for my 2001 GS300. I have the factory HIDs and would like to make the daytime running lights, and the high beams match. I'm confused as to exactly which one is acting as what.... many of you have 98, 00, and so on, so i really don't know what Lexus changed from previous years. Also, if anyone knows exactly what kind of bulbs fit and would like to share that with me I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to have the bluish lights, but I don't want to get pulled over for having them too blue. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 06-12-01, 07:46 PM
NVERNUFHP

Thumbs down

You want your DRLs to match your HID high beams? Man, that means that you will be blinding every oncoming driver every moment your ignition is on. Think about that...if you are the oncoming driver, do you want some doofus running everywhere refusing to dim his high beams?

The whole rest of the motoring public hopes that you do not figure out how to do the conversion.
Old 06-12-01, 08:39 PM
MarsB007
Driver

First off... I WANT THEM TO MATCH THE COLOR OF THE HID LIGHTS... guess you didn't pick up on that! I obviously don't want them the same strength. And also, are you trying to tell me that the you don't like looking at HIDs? I've never found them to be annoying at all... i actually feel them more comfortable to look at than normal lights. I do feel that the cheap imitation, wanna-be HIDs are really annoying, since they start changing colors in different angles. But back to my original question... does anyone know that the BEST MATCH to the COLOR of the HIDs would be for the Daytime Running lights, and potentially the HI beams? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-01, 09:01 PM
Presario
Driver

Hey MarsB007,
The DRL are the high beam bulbs running at half the wattage. I did try replacing the high beam bulb with PIAA superwhites but didn't brighten the DRLs at all (maybe a tad). The only way to make them look whiter is if you get a bulb that is coated with a blue tint. This will offset the yellowness of the low watts the DRLs are running at. To be honest, the Blue High beam bulb can be seen when the car is off and looks very ricerish to me (because it makes the whole inner housing reflect that blue color). I think that the DRL's main function is not to look nice but provided as a safety measure. On the other hand, the inner lights when the nighttime driving lights are on are different bulbs. If you have the HID's and didn't replace the inner bulbs, they look nasty because the inner lights are yellow. These are not the same bulbs that light up as the DRLs. If you look at the bulbs that are lit when your hids are on, you will notice that the bulbs are not the highbeam bulbs but little plug bulbs. You can replace them with either PIAA plasma wedge bulbs that I have on my car or get the polarg bulbs that other members have on their car (which is brighter than the PIAA wedge bulb and a little whiter). Here is a picture of my car with the Wedge bulbs (way better match for your HIDs). Hope that helped. I don't even know if the question I answered is what you were looking for.

-Andy

Attached Thumbnails 2001 GS 300 Daytime running lights.-andygs3-copy.jpg  
Old 06-12-01, 09:48 PM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Presario,

Those look GREAT! Exactly what kind of bulbs are they?
Old 06-12-01, 10:05 PM
Presario
Driver

Thanks. They are the PIAA plasma wedge bulbs that you can buy for like $15. They are so easy to install as well. It will take you only 10 minutes.

-Andy
Old 06-12-01, 10:24 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Thanks Presario! Believe it or not that was the easiest explanation that anyone has ever given me about what does what. I was under the impression that the wedges were also used for the DRL's. Thanks for clarifying that up. I'll go pick up the first PIAA plasma wedges that I can find. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-12-01, 10:57 PM
HaydenGS
Driver School Candidate

hey hey Perserio.... how did you install them? Cuz when i open my hood... i found that the "holder" that supports the DRLs and the wedge lights have a cover with screws on them ...
how do u take them out?
Old 06-13-01, 01:32 AM
Presario
Driver

Thanks for the complement!

First off, try to eyeball where the wedge bulb would be located from behind the housing. Look there and you will see the base of the wedge bulb (connect by a wire). Don't mess with the High beam bulbs, just the wedge bulb base (it's a lot smaller than the high beam base). It fits like a plug so just twist and out it should come. Replace the bulb and just slide it back in and again twist to lock into place (try not to touch the bulb- oil from the fingers can be bad for the bulb and shorten the life so use a tissue or something). Sorry I couldn't do a better job explaining it but once you look around the wires and stuff, you can figure it out.

-Andy
Old 06-13-01, 10:37 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Lights look great with HID. What is the wattage of the wedge bulbs for the inner lights? Where can you buy the Polarg or PIAA plama wedges?

With the normal HID's on, do the inner lights add anything or are they just on for looks?

Thanks,
Old 06-13-01, 12:29 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Presario,

Which bulbs do you have? I know they're the PIAA's but which ones? I found quite a few of them. 168 Plasma Blue, W2, 168 Super Plasma, and so on. Which ones do you have. I know the Polargs to get are the M6s. And any search for either one of these will bring up a few places where you can buy them from. (for those people that don't know where to get them from... use www.google.com and search for piaa wedge or polarg wedge.)
Old 06-13-01, 05:41 PM
HaydenGS
Driver School Candidate

****ty .... after i replaced my HB3 DRL ... both sides are now un-level ! how do i balance the level back ?

my fog lights are also imbalance now after i replaced them, how do i rebalance them?
Old 06-13-01, 07:11 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys should also look at polarg M6's they do a better job than the PIAA's for the wedge bulb Ill post a pic as soon as I can
Old 06-13-01, 07:18 PM
cdn2k1gs3
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bulb ID

Hey Presario:

I've got the same question as MarsB007. What is the exact model number of the PIAA buld...I found quite a few too... thankks for your help...

Also...I read the post on the Polargs...hope someone can post a jpeg soon so the we can compare. I'm going to buy both and see what I both look like...
Old 06-13-01, 07:26 PM
Presario
Driver

HaydenGS,
You replaced your DRLs? Do you mean you replaced your high beams or the inner night time lights? I'm taking a wild guess you're really pissed. Exactly what did you replace and with what bulb?

Sorry about the late reply. The PIAA wedge bulb is the Super Plasma - i tried the PIAA platinum, plasma blue, and the super plasma and the Super Plasmas are the best match. The Plasma blue looked too blud tinted which made the inner lights look tacky next the the HIDs. As for the Polarg, I've seen it I have to admit that they are a lot brighter- It matches the HIDs very well but on my car, I wanted the inner lights to be subtle and not too bright. The level of light and color I wanted was best matched by the PIAA super plasma. Hope that helped!

-Andy
Attached Thumbnails 2001 GS 300 Daytime running lights.-lights1.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 GS 300 Daytime running lights.