GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some new rims for Giovanna and others to knock off...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 03:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobcat - Yes, I love the Work Equips. They are OG and well made...I would do a set on my GS no problem. I would just do it in silver or machine polish (aka Diamond)...Chrome is too bling-bling for me on THAT rim.

The AutoCouture Indicat(ing that you have cash)or will probably around $1200 - $1400 each in chrome (I don't know if they're making anything but chrome...but I imagine they'll at least make a silver or polish version)

I'm not sure on the Work Equips, but I imagine they're upwards of $1000 retail on Chrome 20's...if you can do at least $4K on rims, I can get you a real price (I'm sure they're under $4k for the set)...let me know via PM or email Bob...

Bit - Uh...HELL NO! I think it's just dumped like that for "show"...you know, the whole "how low can you go" thing...I don't really like that AME wheel either...but at least it's original...and the car is definitely undrivable...when you see most of the ads for rims and bodykits and such, they're all pretty much too low to drive normally...it's just for show...

gsnav - Yes, I agree with you...I've said it before, the LD1's are getting a little tired but they're still great looking rims...personally, I like the LR5's...even though it's one of their oldest designs, I think it looks nice...though I think it would have looked a little better in 19" rather than 20"....(did I just say that?!)

2Savvy - In LA, I see many cars with LD1's...but in Toronto, you'd be Da Man! I agree with the whole "Buy what you can afford" school of thought but I think it needs be a little more specific...if you're going to fix up a car, buy a car you can AFFORD to fix up....and people should take their TIME fixing up their cars...you don't have to slap it on TODAY! It's better to save up and put some nice REAL rims on your Lexus than rush out and put some crappy ricer knock-off rims on just to say "look, I gotz rimz!"

Hey, are you keeping your GS when your SC arrives?

Old 06-20-01, 06:14 AM
Benny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: manaray or anyone...

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Does anyone think that GS in the first picture manaray posted actually looks GOOD?

I think it looks AWFUL being lowered that much. Not to mention basically undrivable.

Ugh
AMEN
Old 06-20-01, 11:03 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
2Savvy - In LA, I see many cars with LD1's...but in Toronto, you'd be Da Man! I agree with the whole "Buy what you can afford" school of thought but I think it needs be a little more specific...if you're going to fix up a car, buy a car you can AFFORD to fix up....and people should take their TIME fixing up their cars...you don't have to slap it on TODAY! It's better to save up and put some nice REAL rims on your Lexus than rush out and put some crappy ricer knock-off rims on just to say "look, I gotz rimz!"

Hey, are you keeping your GS when your SC arrives?

I totally agree with your point.. For someone to put a $1,000 set of wheels on a 50k - 80k car is stupid.. If you buy a unique car you should have unique wheels.. As for knock-off wheels there are some that are nice.. I guess it all depends on the quality.. Some MHT wheels for example I think are nice.. All are basically knock offs but the quality is good..

The only how I am keeping my GS is if I win a lottery.. LOL.. Although the buy back isn't too bad.. I'd love to keep it and mod it up the way you guys have.. I would just lower it and put 19" wheels, exhaust, and intake.. Can't do a body kit since where my office is the incline would rip it right off and I don't think my clients would like the image it gives.. Paper business is really OLD SCHOOL to say the least..

Can't wait to start modifying the SC.. L-Sportline makes a suspension kit for the SC so that would be the next thing I do on that car..
Old 06-20-01, 11:49 AM
gs4power
Driver

It's a 1-piece FORGED rim...available in 18" and 20" only...says it's 7.5Kg per wheel (about 16.53 pounds!)...I assume that's for the 18"...so the 20" must be about 19 pounds or so (maybe a little more because a 20" rim probably needs more structural reinforcment)....
Yes...weight increases at least 20% per inch, so make that 25 lbs minimum for the 20's
Old 06-20-01, 02:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

2Savvy - Congrats on the SC! Too bad you can't keep the GS as a "Project" car

Nice, lowered with rims...clean and simple...definitely will give that "not stock" look w/o offending anyone

GS4Power - Well I called Weld and they said the "Car" version of those rims are on "hold"...I tried to get an actual weight but no go...
Old 06-20-01, 11:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Speaking of 20" rims...

I spoke with my homie at HRE today and he told me that 20" x 8.5" 540's weigh roughly 25-27 pounds...not bad considering cast wheels (like Lowenhart) weigh in the 35 pound category....

He was also telling me about the particular aluminum alloy they use for the lips that actually "flex" and have "memory"...very interesting stuff...
Old 06-21-01, 02:37 AM
Presario
Driver

Hey gsnav,
How have you been? Good I hope. I see you are finally getting your wheels. What are you getting? I know you want unique ones.

-Andy
Old 06-21-01, 06:01 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

[BIt's better to save up and put some nice REAL rims on your Lexus than rush out and put some crappy ricer knock-off rims on just to say "look, I gotz rimz!"
[/B]
LMAO! Something about that statement makes me want to LAUGH! It explains just about every primered, beater Civic I see here in Hawaii.

Brian
Old 06-22-01, 05:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, here in Los Angeles, we have a LOT of that crap running around...

What's REALLY funny is to see these guys that buy beaten, salvage titled luxury cars that look OBVIOUSLY beaten and salavaged with their $199 Earl Scheib paint job. Then they get the cheeziest looking chrome rims you can get (some buy them, I think most of them just steal them) and then they floss that **** like they're some rich pimpin' dealer...unfortunatly, Acura Legends and older Lexus SC's seem to be the most popular...then older LS400's and some older ES300's...SO, SO pathetic!

What's even MORE pathetic...I was at the street races one night and there was this "car club" there with about 5 members at the race...their sticker was cheezy first of all (it looks like your typical script font that comes standard with your PC...like Lucida Calligraphy or Zapf Chancery on the Mac) but here's the kicker! ALL THEIR CARS (except one...) WAS BONE STOCK! Ok, some had tint and some had "race" stickers...but they had NOTHING otherwise, not even lowered or an exhaust TIP even! The ONE car they had ONLY had rims...not even lowered and the rims were 16's!

I just started laughing (I couldn't help it)...I think they knew I was laughing at them...that is just SO PATHETIC...they SO DESPERATELY want to be in a car club that they formed their own with their other loser friends...it's really sad and now I feel sorry for them...

Hey, maybe they were ALL sleepers...350 HP Turbo Charged B16's could have been under hood...or a Roush Racing worked V8 motor in the Mustang that was in the "club"...hehehehe

This is the kind things I picture in my head when I see all these people doing the same kinda **** to their poor Lexus automobiles...knock-off wheels, tchotchkes, full knock-off body kits on stock 16" rims, 16" aftermarket rims (WHY BOTHER?!), stickers on everything...eh...I guess it's entertainment!