GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noise - When Braking and Turning??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01 | 07:31 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Question

A friend of mine has a 99 GS400 with about 50,000 kms on it and he is telling me he is getting a clicking/clunking noise when he brakes and turns the wheel at the same time.. I told him I would post and see if any of you guys/gals have experienced this problem.. Could it be brake wear??

He tells me that he just got a brake cleaning from the dealer about a month ago and they told him he had 50% left on his pads.. Anyways if anyone can help it would be most appreciated!
Old 06-13-01 | 09:35 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

break wear usaully sounds more like a high pitched wistle rather than a clunk sound.

by the way I noticed that you have a pectra blue GS400 with black interior that is a very rare mix I was wondering if you can post any pics of it for us
Old 06-13-01 | 09:36 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

sorry I meant mica blue my bad
Old 06-14-01 | 04:00 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Biggie,

Check the GS Member Rides under Ken and you will see a few pics of my baby.. Well for the next few months at least..

I think I have one of the interior I will post for you.. Most Spectra Blue Mica's GS4's usually come with the Ivory interior which I didn't like so I factory ordered mine.. Took way too long to get.. Very frustrating just like now waiting for the SC to arrive..

Back to this noise that buddy has on his car.. I talked to him last night and his dealer tells him that the pads are loose in the caliper thus the noise when he brakes and turns.. Does that sound possible??
Attached Thumbnails Noise - When Braking and Turning??-lexus-front.jpg  

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 06-14-01 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-14-01 | 07:12 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
A friend of mine has a 99 GS400 with about 50,000 kms on it and he is telling me he is getting a clicking/clunking noise when he brakes and turns the wheel at the same time.. I told him I would post and see if any of you guys/gals have experienced this problem.. Could it be brake wear??

He tells me that he just got a brake cleaning from the dealer about a month ago and they told him he had 50% left on his pads.. Anyways if anyone can help it would be most appreciated!
Yes, the noise could be due to something being loose. Did the noise occur before he had his brakes "cleaned"? What did the dealer do when he cleaned the brakes?
Old 06-14-01 | 07:24 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Marty,

He had the brake cleaning done about a month ago and the noise just recently started.. I'll post again when I hear what the dealer tells him is the problem.. I think he said he was taking it in tomorrow.. What they did on his brake cleaning I guess was lube the sliders and de-glazed the rotors.. Thats what they did to mine on my 32k check-up.. Anyways thanks for the feedback I guess I should get back to work.. LOL..

Ken

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 06-14-01 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-15-01 | 05:07 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Default Feedback..

Ok just heard from my friend about what happened to his car.. Anyways what happened to his car was his front rotors were warped (I guess this has happened to a few folks) and when he turned and braked his pads would rattle against the rotor due to the warpage..

Hope I explained that properly.. Anyways the dealer changed his front rotors under warranty and solved this problem at no cost..

He might not of found out about the slight warping if he didn't do his brake clean as the pads wouldn't of been so free in the caliper.. Chalk one up to doing proper maintenence on ones vehicle I guess..
Old 06-15-01 | 05:39 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the update.

One more great tidbit of GS information to add to the database.

I love learning about this stuff.
Old 06-15-01 | 06:22 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Wink

Hmmmmmm..........sounds a little odd to me. The wheel/tire/brake assembly should all move as a single unit. I would think warped rotors would cause noise/brake pedal pulsation regardless of which direction the wheels are pointed when brakes applied.

But if rotor replacement cured problem........who am I to carp?
Old 06-15-01 | 08:22 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mooretorque
Hmmmmmm..........sounds a little odd to me. The wheel/tire/brake assembly should all move as a single unit. I would think warped rotors would cause noise/brake pedal pulsation regardless of which direction the wheels are pointed when brakes applied.

But if rotor replacement cured problem........who am I to carp?
You know I totally agree with you.. In theory what you say is true but I guess the other thing that was wrong other than the warped rotors was the spring that holds the pads in the caliper.. They were loose and when he turned and braked (Turning into a parking space as an example) they would ride up on the rotor to the warpage and bounce/rattle thus making the noise he was complaining about.. Wish I had the piece of paper he was showing me that the mechanic drew out showing the problem.. If buddy still has it I will scan it and post.. Might explain it better than I just did..
Old 06-16-01 | 04:03 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

2SAVVY, sounds like your friend has a sharp mechanic. We should all be so fortuante.\

BTW, are you keeping your GS when your SC comes in??
Old 06-16-01 | 07:39 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mooretorque
BTW, are you keeping your GS when your SC comes in??
I wish I could afford to do that because after coming on ClubLexus i've got the modification bug.. LOL.. And what some of you guys have done to your GS's is absolutely amazing.. I leased my GS and I didn't have any intentions on doing anything to her but I purchased the SC and I will be doing some mods to this ride.. Haven't even got the car yet and my Lowenharts arrived 3 days ago and are in their boxes in the basement.. Once in awhile i'll sneak a peak at them.. LOL.. Feel like a little kid again!
Old 06-16-01 | 08:20 AM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi 2SAVVY,

I experienced similar problem as your friend, and my dealership apply some high performance grease to fix the problem. Does that make sense?

The noise is gone now, but I just want to make sure they did the right thing.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-01 | 11:55 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS - T.O.
Hi 2SAVVY,

I experienced similar problem as your friend, and my dealership apply some high performance grease to fix the problem. Does that make sense?

The noise is gone now, but I just want to make sure they did the right thing.

Thanks.
Hey another Toronto guy on ClubLexus.. Good to see.. Well as long as the problem is gone I guess it makes sense.. I got my car at Ken Shaw and so did my buddy with the problem and I have to say what a great place to deal with.. From the time I have gotten my GS to now they have treated myself and other people I know great.. I know LexusRules had a run in with them but he is really the only person I know who has had problems at this dealership.. Where did you get your car GS - T.O.??

Any idea when the L-Tuned parts will be introduced here in Canada??
Old 06-16-01 | 01:32 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Any idea when the L-Tuned parts will be introduced here in Canada??
They're available now.

All you have to do is order them from Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota

Gonzo4u@earthlink.net
800-908-6968 ext. 2381
Or Private Message SUPRATRD

Quick Reply: Noise - When Braking and Turning??