GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

stalling GS - could be 90k-related

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-05, 01:20 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stalling GS - could be 90k-related

Hey guys,

recently my car has been STALLING on freeways, during stop-and-go traffic. I noticed that when the fan is on, my RPM dips alot lower than usual, even around 150~200rpm. Then when i tap on the gas to move in the traffic, the car would just stall.

I went to Longo Lexus to have this checked up, and they said that they can't duplicate the problem (no surprise there, Longo NEVER duplicates my problems). I've stalled about 6 times in the past 3 weeks.

I tried adjusting the throttle wire tension (with help from the wire tension thread) and that didn't help the low idle, but did somewhat increased response.

It could be due to my 90k mileage, and worn out belts and/or spark plugs.

I gathered some parts, including spark plugs, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, and all the fluids, one of my brother's friend was a Lexus technician, he will be replacing all those for me tomorrow morning, and I shall see how it goes.

frankly I don't like the fact that dealers won't try to tackle a problem unless they can duplicate the symptoms. Longo Lexus quoted me 84 dollars to check my transmission, low idle, and leaking coolant (which they only wiped off, just like last time when they said everything is fine). I would be charged 84 dollars if they didn't find any problems. Luckily they found problems in the ball joints, which was covered under my extended warranty (which is also problematic). Had they not found the ball joint problem, I would've been charged 84 dollars for some 10-minute road test that turns out nothing.

Anyways, enough venting, will get back to you guys about how replacing those parts help my stalling problem.
Old 04-23-05, 01:48 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats some serious stuff dude. What would have happened if the car stalled while going 80mph
Old 04-23-05, 05:51 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

You ever run fuel injection cleaner like Techron in your car? Sounds to me like it could either be your TPS or clogged injectors.
Old 04-23-05, 06:20 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't just throw all those parts at it. What if you change all the stuff and it's still the same? How about your Mass Air sensor? I just had mine replaced via warranty with only 26k miles......

I didn't have stalling, but my low idle with air off had dropped about another 100 rpm than usual.
Old 04-23-05, 09:23 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it also. If i'm not mistaken, there was another thread on this from a while back with the same subject as yours. It seems that this was a very common thing in many GS's. Mine does it after i re-fuel. After i fill up, and i drive off, i tap the gas, so the RPM's bounce up to around 2000 and i get going, then when i let off the accelerator, they drop drastically low, and then i stall. Weird thing , but i've learned to deal with it, cuz it only happens after i re-fuel.

John
Old 04-23-05, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I wouldn't just throw all those parts at it. What if you change all the stuff and it's still the same? How about your Mass Air sensor? I just had mine replaced via warranty with only 26k miles......
Yes, like what chuckb said. Also check your intake, stock or aftermarket, b/c when I was in putting an aftermarket, one of the sleeves? came loose, and ,my car just died
I pulled over and looked under the hood, tighten it up, and never had a problem since.
Old 04-23-05, 10:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a lot of things,
vacuum hose loose? MAF sensor bad?
INjector clogged? trottle position sensor? Cable?
Fuel pump ecu?

MY first SC's had ecu failure, so it stall,
my second SC had battery cable loose, so it stall
MY 3rd SC stall, because a MAF!
MY 300zx stall even while going 60mph, It was a vacuum hose.
MY GS had low rpm(like 350 idle), I adjusted the cable, now it runs perfect!

Man, seems like I am one of those guys you can call STALL KING!
Old 04-23-05, 12:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You ever run fuel injection cleaner like Techron in your car? Sounds to me like it could either be your TPS or clogged injectors.
yes i tried exactly that and it didn't help.

I didn't have stalling, but my low idle with air off had dropped about another 100 rpm than usual.
I'm changing those parts because my car is due for 90k service, with mandatory spark plug and timing belt change. Serpentine belt was bad according to Longo Lexus, and the water pump was recommended by my technician.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yes, like what chuckb said. Also check your intake, stock or aftermarket, b/c when I was in putting an aftermarket, one of the sleeves? came loose, and ,my car just died
I pulled over and looked under the hood, tighten it up, and never had a problem since.

My intake is tight and secure. I will check the MAS while getting these parts changed. thanks for the suggestions guys.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
could be a lot of things,
vacuum hose loose? MAF sensor bad?
INjector clogged? trottle position sensor? Cable?
Fuel pump ecu?

MY first SC's had ecu failure, so it stall,
my second SC had battery cable loose, so it stall
MY 3rd SC stall, because a MAF!
MY 300zx stall even while going 60mph, It was a vacuum hose.
MY GS had low rpm(like 350 idle), I adjusted the cable, now it runs perfect!

Man, seems like I am one of those guys you can call STALL KING!
lol not exactly something to brag about
Old 04-23-05, 12:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, not anymore, I have all that fixed!
Old 04-24-05, 10:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

hey guys.

so yesterday I got the parts installed. My serpentine belt and timing belt was cracked, so it was just the perfect time to replace those.

My rough idle and low RPM is solved. Because I also got Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs as well, everything together solved it.

I feel the car is smoother, and is faster on acceleration.

----------------------------
Now here's the problem.
----------------------------

After getting everything installed properly, the car starts up with no problem at all. Then we proceed with resetting the ECU. After that, everything was fine, but I start to hear this sound, as if the serpentine belt or something is rubbing against something else. The car is running perfectly, so I don't think it's a major problem. But I'm going back to my technician in a few days about this.

Just want to see if anyone had the similar problem, changed many parts, resetted ECU, and heard abnormal noise coming from the engine bay.

Thanks.

* * * EDIT * * *

ran a search, found out that many people were having serpentine belt issues, but generally BEFORE they replace the belt. What could be wrong? The tension? or is the belt not installed correctly?

The only time I can have the car checked up is next weekend, so I was wondering if the car is safe to drive? I drive about 60~70 mile commute daily, and I don't want the belt snapping on me or anything.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 04-24-05 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 09:31 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think the tension is adjustable on the serp belt. Did you pop hood while it's running and try to find where noise is coming from?
Old 04-25-05, 09:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think the tension is adjustable on the serp belt. Did you pop hood while it's running and try to find where noise is coming from?
actually I did that today, and seems like the noise is coming from the cam gear/ timing belt area. When I put my hand on the cam gear cover the sound changes a bit, so I think it's coming from there.

What can I do to check for problems?